back to article Yorks cops bust Bradford guinea pig farm

Yorkshire cops have apologised after swooping on a suspected Bradford cannabis "hothouse", only to find a couple of pampered guinea pigs languishing by an electric heater. Six officers in three vehicles descended on Pam Hardcastle's house after a police chopper's dope-busting camera picked up a suspicious infrared hotspot. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. slooth
    FAIL

Fail!

If drugs were legalised and you could get them via prescription (thus generating revenue for the govt), we could save millions of quid in man-hours and expensive copper choppers. Maybe then they can tackle real crimes.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm just happy

That nobody was hurt physically, mentally or financially by the police in this instance.

1. Graham Marsden
        Pirate

"No guinea pigs...

"... were tasered during this operation" a Police Spokesman announced...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Happy

The police should have looked harder

I always wondered what Guinea Pigs are up to, they always look so chilled out and contented....

2. SlackerUK
      Pint

don't be daft...

By prescription? that would get them £7 a pop (or free if your on benefits).

To generate an answer to the national debt - package up spliffs in packs of 10 or 20, and sell them from machines in pubs and clubs (and re-instate smoking in licensed drinking establishments). Tax them in the same way ciggies are and hey presto a major influx of revenue.

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

"Lit Up"?!

How hot must those (only 2!) animals have been for the garage to Light Up on a copper chopper's FLIR?

Or are WYP talking bollocks (for a change).

May I suggest some intensive retraining for the guy who 'spotted' it.

Anonymous, because I also grow errr... guinea pigs in my garage

1. Skippy

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

Keep in mind that garages are rarely insulated, it would leak heat non-stop.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The garage would probably be relatively cold

With a couple of heat lamps sitting in the corner of it, it would certainly be "lit up".

3. Haku

Sunbathing

Having owned guineapigs as a kid, I can tell you they love the heat, in the winter quite often at least one of them would lie flat down in front of the gas heater just inches away from the flames.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

I see what you're all saying...

...but compared to an ACTUAL dope farm? No.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mother explains all

>The coppers, however, pressed on with the operation, and having gained entry to the facility, "took one look at the guinea pigs, then left".

And what would they be expected to do? Believe her and walk away? I'll bet no criminal has thought of lying before.

4. Citizen Kaned
    FAIL

war on drugs

isnt working. stop trying to criminalise people for smoking something less harmful than alcohol and tobacco (yes, some people have a brain meltdown but plenty of studies can prove that those people would likely have underlying problems anyway). nice use of our tax money plod

also anyone with half a brain on a scan would tell you that an electric heater boots out far more heat than a HPS light. did they think they had found some 3000w grow lamp that would light a garage? arent these guys even slightly educated in what they are trying to catch?

maybe if you spent more time investigating burglaries (took them a month to come to swipe for fingerprints when it happened to me) they might get the public more on side.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Absolutely,

How many times have I seen someone out their face on tobacco driving eratically?

Oh - that'd be none.

How many times on drugs? More than I care to remember.

This fallacy that it's less harmful than tobacco is pathetic.

1. Squirrel

drugs

You must live in a dodgy area; all the bad drivers (read: weaving/swerving/retarded) are using phones, reading or fiddling with other gadgets or controls.

You occasionally see the odd one weaving down the road without obvious cause and it turns out to be an elderly person.

"This fallacy that it's less harmful than tobacco is pathetic" - medically, it is. It doesn't have nicotine, and much less quantity of tar and carcinogenics when burnt. Most regular and intelligent folks vapourise it to get the caniboids out without the by-products.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

RE: Absolutely

You're pathetic.

It's called driving under the influence of a controlled substance. Whatever the substance. It's all the same.

3. Wize
        Flame

@AC 11:14

"How many times have I seen someone out their face on tobacco driving eratically?

Oh - that'd be none."

Except when they drop a lit ciggy on their crotch.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Thumb Up

How many people posting about the evils of drugs?

have got in a fight on a friday night after drinking too much.

Not too many stoners fight..... they struggle to switch the TV over after a big camberwell carrot.

Make it legal Nick like the electorate asked you too on your 'big society' website. Oh yes that's right Lib Dems= empty promises

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Wize

>Except when they drop a lit ciggy on their crotch

That would still be none as studies have shown smoking shrinks your willy so nothing to burn.

4. g e

Then by your logic

Mobile phones should be a controlled substance, presumably

I have no idea when an erratic driver is stoned (do you have some kind of portable gas chromatograph or sensitive spectral analyer or something?) but I can damn well see when the feckers are on the phone.

We are all dying to know how you know these drivers are stoned not sleepy/drunk/moronic

1. Martin H Watson

...and why do you want to analyse a spectre...?

You said "I have no idea when an erratic driver is stoned (do you have some kind of portable gas chromatograph or sensitive spectral analyer or something?) but I can damn well see when the feckers are on the phone."

5. Saganhill
        Grenade

You know nothing

About the effects of Marijuana.

6. Citizen Kaned

really?

you sure they werent pissed or just bad drivers?

i take it you stopped and asked each driver which narcotic they were on?

tobacco kills thousands every year. death rate attributed to cannabis over the last 2000 years - zero.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Pint

Check you assumptions

Jared Loughner smoked a lot of dope. I'm not sure the amount of deaths indirectly attributed to marijuana use can be assumed to be exactly zero. I also have personal experience from riding with stoned drivers that it makes them worse drivers while simultaneously convincing them that they are driving really well -- but then I suspect alcohol does that as well.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Alert

Brain Meltdown..

It is claimed that the stronger skunk varieties of cannabis are liable to cause 'Brain Meltdown' and that these varieties are becomeing more and more common. Yet clinical levels of schizophrenia and psychosis have remained steady. You do the math. As an aside canabis is harmful to your well-being. there needs to be a new word for the weeded uber lazy.

This daft woman needs to be fined for wasting energy, and generating excessive pollution (at the power station) who on earth puts an electric heater on full power in an uninsulated garage? an anti frosting heater ok, but to be pumping out that much heat (see IR image) is lunacy.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Daft Woman ?!? Needs to be fined?!?

You need to be fined for making such idiotic suggestions.

Also, Skunk (resin) as sold on the street, is mainly made up of all types of crap, and brain rotting chemicals you wouldn't believe, if it is legalised and produced properly under controled conditions then.

A), it wouldn't be produced at such high strengths

B), it wouldn't contain all the shit that gets put in currently

C), The illegal drug trade falls on its face

D), Jobs created

1. Jimbo 6

@AC 11:53

Skunk =/= 'soapbar' resin,

in the same way that

25-year-old-malt-whiskey =/= Kestrel Super Lager.

If you're confused about the difference you must have lead an impressively sheltered life.

2. Martin H Watson

And along those lines...

are you saying you'd make shooting people legal to boost the undertaking business? What a daft idea.

2. Anton Ivanov

The garage is behind, the heat comes from a shed

If the colouring is standard (brighter for more intensive) the heat is coming from a small shed next to what looks like a standard bolted panel-kit garage. So she is not wasting that much energy after all. However, this also means that the Yorkshire cops have made all that fuss because of a 2mx2m shed where one can grow at most a handful of plants.

As far as the clinical levels of schizophrenia and psychosis - they will show effects from cannabis if a statistically significant part of the population overindulges in it to the point where it can be triggered. At the moment that is simply not the case.

1. F111F
          Boffin

Darker Areas, not Lighter

...show heat loss. Notice the chimneys and windows on the buildings surrounding, they are darker, showing heat escaping. Also, the article said it was a "garage" not a shed.

My question: Why not simply look in the window? Don't most garages have a window or two? It would be "in plain sight" and if the police couldn't see the pets, they would see that there was no cannabis production. I'm guessing they coppers didn't even try, and just decided to inconvenience everyone by calling the homeowner home from work to grandstand a "raid".

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

It's a negative image, look at the windows and chimney stacks of the houses compared to everything else

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

re: Brain Meltdown (above)

1) weed doesn't cause mental health problems as pointed out. (figures remain stable)

2) it does causes people to be 'Stoned' ie totally chillaxed, lazy whatever. (not agressive)

3) wasting enrgy is daft.

I dont understand why its down voted so much. any replies?

3. JohnG

....less harmful than .... tobacco....

Uh - no. Cannabis gives users more tar than tobacco, more carbon monoxide and more carcinogens. There is plenty of evidence for this, and whilst your local pusher may disagree, he may have a vested interest to protect.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        FAIL

Implying that cannabis is banned because it's "more harmful"

...as opposed to Christian value pushing and ass-covering inertia.

1. Tom 13

Well, let's check some AMA research

"Marijuana smoking, like tobacco smoking,

may be associated with increased risk

of lung cancer. Marijuana smoke contains

cannabinoid compounds in addition to

many of the same components as tobacco

smoke. For instance, benzopyrene, a carcinogenic

polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon,

is found in both tobacco and marijuana

smoke and has been implicated in mutations

related to lung cancer.4-7 Furthermore, experimental

studies support an association

between marijuana smoke exposure and

lung cancer, with lung cancer cell lines demonstrating

tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)-

induced malignant cell proliferation8,9 and

a murine model suggesting that THC promotes

tumor growth by inhibiting antitumor

immunity by a cannibinoid-2 receptor

mediated pathway.10 Although the

preponderance of in vitro data supports a

biologically plausible association, limited research

exists that suggests anticarcinogenic

cannabinoid effects.11-13 Given these

contrasting data, we chose to systematically

evaluate the association between smoking

marijuana and lung cancer."

http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/reprint/166/13/1359.pdf

The study concludes that more study is required. But given how difficult it has been to convince people that smoking is bad for their health, I expect the results will eventually be the same: smoking kills whether it is tobacco or weed, and weed actually has more carcinogens.

2. Saganhill
        Alert

Wrong!

Not according to the test done in the 60's and 70's by the US FDA. There are the same as tobacco.

http://www.lycaeum.org/paranoia/marijuana/facts/mj-health-mythology.html

1. Anonymous Coward
          Flame

Tempest in a teapot

Marijuana is worse for you per weight of substance smoked. In evaluating the health risks, it is generally assumed that pot smokers consume only a small fraction of the amount of burning weeds that tobacco smokers consume. If a pot smoker tried to keep up with a fag smoker on a puff-for-puff basis, they'd soon bear a striking resemblance to Ozzy Osborne.

3. Citizen Kaned

pusher?

they do not exist.

stop reading the daily fail for your world insights.

also skunk is a strain of cannabis. there are plenty of strains that are weaker than old school resin. FLO is a nice example. i guarantee that 99.9% of smokers have never smoked actual skunk, since hardly anyone grows that strain.

5. irish donkey
    WTF?

Shock horror

'Victimless crime feels the full strength of the law'

Meanwhile thieves and scum stealing everything from everybody isn't worth investigating as it's so common.

So how many other less news worthy crimes were ignored so they could go in mob handed.

So the question is will she lose her job on the bases of soft evidence.

6. Code Monkey

Why take her out of work?

They only suspect she's growing weed. She's not likely to do a runner so why subject her to the embarrassment of showing up at her place of work?

Stupid, stupid plod.

1. bluesxman
      WTF?

RE: Why take her out of work?

You'd prefer that they kicked the door in? Sounds oddly considerate. Perhaps they thought they'd been given a bum steer and exercised uncharacteristic caution. Or they failed to get a warrant, in which case she could have told them to "go forth and procreate" anyway.

7. Anon the mouse
    WTF?

How can.....

.... the copper visit the family if they are removing their details from the system?

8. Richard 33

Just make it legal already

Because it being illegal has obviously not worked.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Sure

And make murder legal too because that hasn't worked either.

Nor has stopping burglary, abduction, money laundering.

Make them all legal - save on police time.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I love the downvotes on this

because the whole legalise it argument is crap - the idea that if drugs are legalised the mob will shrug their shoulders and walk away supposes there is no criminal involvement in cigarettes or alcohol or fuel or any of the other legal areas of life. It's just nonsense

1. Laurent_Z
          WTF?

Look here Anonymous Guy

There is a part of capitalism that is not that discussed, and that is price equilibrium vs Taxes.

Whenever taxes reach a certain point there is an incentive in doing without them.

Like @ 10% tax the risk is so much higher than the gain.

@ 20%tax you can already guess that you can both sell your wares 20%less that your counterparts, but if you play 'nice' you just sell at street price and keep the taxes for you, and as you are not selling at less than street price you are almost golden as no one sees anything (except from the tax dude.)

Now can you remind me of the level of tax on cigarettes ?

You want to kill grey market on ciggies or alcohol ? make them affordable in the legal market. QED.

9. Nigel 11
    Thumb Up

Greener dope farms?

Surely even the dumbest criminal has by now worked out that the police are using IR cameras to find their farms, so they need to use only premises with roof insulation to the highest standard. Presumably also high-efficiency (LED?) lighting so that their farm doesn't overheat.

So the good news should be that illegal dope-growing is reducing its CO2 emissions and rising fast in the "green" stakes!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

this.

The Potato Council has a cool gadget they use to illustrate this point using an insulated box with pound-shaped gaps in the insulation and a thermal imaging camera, so when you look at the box with the thermal camera you see pound signs where the heat is escaping.

2. Paul_Murphy

I would have thought..

That a roof-mounted heat-exchange system would be one way of doing it - run a load of pipes with water in all over the top of the 'garage' (or the premises in question) to soak up the ambient heat and then run the 'hot' pipe through a freezer, or in front of an air-con unit or into a ground-sink or whatever else comes to hand - free hot showers for the residents comes to mind.

Anyway - at least the terrorists haven't won yet!

hmm

ttfn

1. bluesxman
        Go

RE: I would have thought..

Since you mentioned the T-word, it reminded me of this:

http://mnftiu.cc/blog/images/war.008.gif

3. Haku

There's a war being fought...

...and the people on drugs are winning it.

/Bill Hicks

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.