back to article Google founder sinks $45m in toy boat

If you have been saving your pennies to hire one of the world's top ten yachts for a weekend getaway, we have some bad news for you: you're now down to nine. Google co-founder Larry Page just landed number eight for €35m (£29m, $45m). "It's an adventure boat and, for its size, I think it is the best around," the yacht's former …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Allan George Dyer
    Coat

Coming Soon: Google Ocean View

A nautical mile by nautical mile tour of the world's major shipping lanes.

Ocean, Sky

Ocean, Sky

Ocean, Sky

Storm

Ocean, Sky

Ocean, Sky

Ocean, Sky

Or maybe not. Mine's the one with the camera pole.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Brilliant idea ...

...if you think of beach instead of ocean

Think of all the houses at the beach that we can not see yet because the beach is not accessible via a street.

2. jake Silver badge

::heh:: I can't wait ...

The nouveau riche set are going to provide all kinds of opportunity to those of us who grok both the ins & outs of sailing on San Francisco Bay, and US salvage law. Thanks, Larry ;-)

Learn to sail on the Bay, and you can sail anywhere ...

3. Charles E
    WTF?

Holy..

What the hell? That's not a yacht, that's a destroyer. How many gun emplacements does it have?

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Probably

a bit too much glass for a destroyer. (Unless there's a conning tower hidden away in there somewhere.) I was thinking more along the lines of lighthouse resupply vessel. Definitely will not be appearing in the next Bond flick.

4. Fluffykins Silver badge

Still like

This:

http://www.wally.com/jumpch.asp?idChannel=44&idUser=0&attivo=2-7 (OK it's a bit smaller, but it looks so cool)

or this:

http://www.why-yachts.com/

1. Marky W
      Coat

Speaking of links

In case you missed it, you should really check out the link to Zodiac in the third to last paragraph.

No, you really, REALLY should.

Mines the one spattered with, erm, dribble.

1. ratfox
        Pint

Zodiac link

It's cheap too! "Save nearly $40K on select models!"

When you look at these models, it's a real bargain...

...That and a beer, I need no more.

5. JimC

What you have to remember is...

A boat in a Marina is for the executive class just a caravan by the sea with added status... In the same way for the uberrich these yachts are just a private hotel that is delivered to wherever they want to be based for a holiday...

6. Jord

I could have bought two of those boats...

...I just didn't want to. So nur nur.

<sigh>

7. sandman

Get a better yacht

If you want some real class I'd recommend the Nero (what an excellent name for a rich person's plaything). Take a look at:

http://www.burgessyachts.com/

Saw it off the coast of Sardinia this year and thought it was someone's Royal Yacht.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Posers and their Gin Palaces

Let me get this straight. The crew sail the ship around the world and the owner jets into its current port of call?

Plus, have you ever seen how tacky these so called luxury yachts look on the inside?

9. Graham Bartlett

L. Bob Rife

Screw that - buy the Ark Royal when it's decommissioned. (OK, it's not quite the Enterprise, but it's close enough.)

10. Roger Kynaston
    Coat

Gin Palace

Us "proper" yotties despise anything without a stick. I'll be sticking to my Rival 34 and feeling insufferably smug about it.

http://www.rivalowners.org.uk/general/front.htm

Mines the bright yellow oilskin.

11. Dan 10

Used?

All that money, and it's still second-hand?

Maybe the Kiwi crashed it and it's actually a cut-and-shut, welding a couple of different boats together in the middle...

12. johnB

He's not the only IT bod that likes the briny

Paul Allen has something approaching an aircraft carrier - with heli pad & submarine launchers.

The Hungarian that invented Excel has a nice 200+ foot cruiser called the SKAT, which also has heli pad & boat doors for the zodiacs. Saw it in Stockholm in May & it looked very desirable. No chance on being allowed on board, unfortunately.

13. Craig Vaughton
    FAIL

Only M$45?

Never mind dinky little used toy boats, real rich people have their own boats built. Not quite as big as Chelsea owner Abramovich's soon to be launched 540-foot "Eclipse", but for cutting edge looks, check out Andrey Melnichenko's 394-foot toy boat "A". Now that could be in a Bond film!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303695604575181911796253780.html

14. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Yeah all very nice...

...but as my Nan used to say, 'Rich people still wipe, flush, fart and scratch just like us poor people!'.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think you'll find that...

...that is what Jeeves is for dahling

15. 7

Bath tub

I have a rubber duckie ... what's the difference?

1. Gavin King

Lemma Necessitas

I dare say that you'll get more deep and meaningful satisfaction from your duckie than he will from his.

16. thecakeis(not)alie

$45M

*sob*

17. Maryland, USA
    Megaphone

tongue twister

Did you know that "toy boat" is difficult to repeat several times quickly without mispronouncing? Try it! (It will amuse your cubicle neighbor.)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like