back to article ITV, C4 catch-up players coming to PS3

PS3 owners willsoon be able to watch ITV and Channel 4 programming. Both stations' catch-up TV viewers are being ported to the PlayStation. ITV Player and 4oD will go live on the PS3 later this week, the Guardian reports. The services join BBC iPlayer, which launched on the Sony games console last year. Unlike iPlayer, the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bit Brain

Just the PS3?

Or does this also mean it'll come to Sony's internet-connected TVs and Blu-ray players?

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Usual el-reg errors.

PS3 iPlayer has been around since 2008 (not "last year"), the HD update came last year, so you can stream HD BBC content (if available).

And it wasn't just Loveflim last month, we also got the excellent MUBI.

Perhaps someone and El-Reg should splash out £199 and buy a PS3 (or do you still think they are £425...)

Back on topic, 4OD is a great addition, but ITVPlayer, not really, it's 99% tripe they broadcast.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

HD

Actually the PS3 iPlayer still does not provide HD, they did improve the quality last year but it's not HD.

3. Neil_

Bookmark?

So are these just bookmarks which open the browser to the standard flash-based website, just like with iPlayer?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Probably...

...and it's about time too!

2. Wize

It can't show it via CH4's site

Well, It didn't a few months ago when I tried.

3. cs94njw
      Thumb Up

Nope...

These are dedicated clients - well... at least it is on the BluRay players.

4. sabroni Silver badge

what's so special about ad videos

that the wii can't stream them? It does an adequate job of streaming iPlayer content, so it seems strange that 4od can't insert the same ads into the stream that they do when running in a browser.

Are Nintendo not allowing adverts?

5. jonathanb Silver badge

Wii can't deliver ads?

Surely the ads on 4oD are just flash video files just like the program videos that BBC iPlayer delivers, so if you request the Ugly Betty video, it ought to be just as easy to send one with ad breaks in it as it is to send one without ads.

6. Code Monkey
    Thumb Up

Fantastic

I agree with the AC above about ITV, unless they're doing the Test highlights on deman. Can it be?

7. Annihilator
    Unhappy

Booo..

Stop filling up my XMB with pointless crap that I can't remove. And bring back Other OS.

1. LuMan
      Troll

@Annihilator

Yeah, agree in principle to the Other OS feature, but the XMB pointless crap thing?? All you have to do is not select it, or scroll past it, or ignore it.

1. Annihilator
        Unhappy

@LuMan

"All you have to do is not select it, or scroll past it, or ignore it."

The idea of a good UI is minimalism and consistency. Imagine they keep on growing it to be more and more channels, installed by default and built pretty crappilly.

From what I can tell, the iPlayer is just a skinned version of the web browser, and damn dear impossible to control with the BD Remote (the only controller I use day-to-day). Hell, the PS3 considers watching long stuff as inactivity and will dim the screen. It's a horrible kludge, and I can't see the new ones being any better.

1. Wize

@Annihilator

You need to turn off the Screen Saver (or whatever they call it) option to prevent dimming.

And the interface is chronic. I have plugged in a mouse to help me work it and its still hard to use. It is difficult to pause or jump forward or back. It needs to tie in better with the box's embedded player.

8. MJI Silver badge

Bye Bye BT Vision Replay

All this for free compared to paying BT £3 and they lose C5 replay.

9. Doogie Howser MD
    Thumb Down

Oi, Sony and News International!

Sky Player on PS3, please. Tout suite, there's good chaps. Sick of my Xboxed son giving me gyp over it!

10. LuMan
    Happy

Brilliant!

Yep - total thumbs up from me. After the missus has watched all 15 hours of daily soap opera delivery I can watch decent stuff while she cooks, washes up and paints her nails!

Joking apart, BBC iPlayer is used loads in our house. Any other catch up service is a great bonus. It'll be better once the quality is beefed up.

11. Joe 3
    Happy

ITV

All ITV has to do now is make some decent programmes and they'll have a nice little business going. Maybe they'll even make some profit!

1. MJI Silver badge

I think they managed a couple this year.

I did enjoy Downtown Abbey, and er what was the other?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like