back to article Interpol issues arrest notice for Wikileaks' Julian Assange

Interpol has issued a Red Notice for the arrest of Julian Assange for suspected sex crimes just two days after his Wikileaks website began publishing some 250,000 highly embarrassing diplomatic cables. The worldwide wanted poster, which claims Assange's photo wasn't available, says an arrest warrant has been issued by the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Daniel Garcia 2
    Alert

The smell of bullshit

is overwhelming!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Black Helicopters

Clearly, the aim is to get him to Sweden

so that when this obvious honey-trap is thrown out of court, the Swedish legal system - which seems to be very fond of doing the USA's bidding (see Piratebay) - can extradite him to the US on some trumped up charge.

The BS is strong in this one...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Smell

and with luck the folks from Interpol can use it to arrest this one!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Big Brother

The Mighty is Felled by a Chink in the Armour

Not to go all Victorian on him, but seems if he had just kept his pants on he wouldn't be in this mess....

/AC because I'm sure many wouldn't agree to this POV. :P

2. ElReg!comments!Pierre

No surprise

That's what you get for embarassing the powers that be.

When security researchers get intimate foreplays at the hands of the DHS (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/19/dhs_detains_hacker/), what else would you expect for exposing the Emperor's "diplomatic" underwear? We can only hope that the EU gave the US a run for their money on this one (a level playing field in the sharing of banking info maybe?).

1. MyHeadIsSpinning
      Unhappy

Europe shall do what it is told

See the European Parliament decision re ACTA.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Two Minutes' Hate

He's going to have to change his name to Emmanuel Goldstein to really get into the spirit.

1. Dalen
      Stop

@AC

Sorry, the username "Emmanuel Goldstein" is already taken.

2. Frantisek Janak
      Big Brother

Remember:

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

ESPIONAGE IS SEX CRIME

1. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

Almost

I mean he just buttfucked the US government in the international papers!

It's Christmas, a loose paraphrase of Die Hard is seasonal!

4. Neal 5

Hell hath no fury

and all that baloney. And as well as upsetting the American pussy we find out that her *new* best mate Sweden will do anything for a bit of yankee money,(who's the whore) and re-investigate once dropped charges. Still we all realise, it is a womans perogative to change her mind. Especially if she can smell some extra $$$$$$$$$.

As for the two real woman and the allegations, who knows. If you've nothing to hide, then there's nothing to be scared of. So Mr Assange, if that really is the case, give yourself up voluntarily , get the matter sorted, continue anally shafting the Americans in exactly the same way as they would you.Afterwards. Simple.

1. bobbles31

I find your faith....

in a free and fair judiciary disturbing.

2. Mephistro
      Joke

Neal 5, please...

I just upvoted your post, but its second paragraph should contain some big, flashy 'Ironic Mode Warning', for the 'comedically challenged' readers. Where it not for that little detail, I'd have upvoted you two times. ;)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a pity they can't find a photograph

According to Interpol, we have a serial sex criminal at large and we don't know what he looks like. Am I the only one who's frightened?

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. json
    Happy

run forrest! run!

'nuf said.

1. hplasm
      Megaphone

No;

"No!- I am Julian Assange!

...And so am I- and so is my wife!!"

8. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Happy

This the best you can come up with?

Guy embarrasses lots of highly influential people, next thing he's being charged with some disgusting crime! Well I'll be jiggered, what a surprise! I suppose the politicians are so far up their own fundaments that they really do think we're all stupid enough to believe this at face value!

Maybe he is, maybe he isn't, I don't know, but come on Interpol, this is very 60's B-movie plot type crap! If you want to frame someone surely you can come up with something better than this second-rate 'serious embarassment to international politics is a paedo/rapist' drivel?

1. LaeMing
      Stop

They have been watching too much...

...Blakes 7

2. Anonymous Coward
      Black Helicopters

Deliberately Amateurish?

Perhaps the idea is that people will think this is just too obvious, too amateurish to be a genuine conspiracy, and therefore it isn't a conspiracy at all, and the charges are real. Except that would just mean it's a smart enough conspiracy to fool people into thinking it can't be a conspiracy.

1. Snapper
        Thumb Up

I Like....

your way of thinking!

2. Roger Varley

Deliberately Amateurish

If your argument is correct and this is, in fact, a deliberate conspiracy disguised as an amateurish conspiracy to confuse people, then some of the not fooled people will find this an amaterish plot disgused as a deliberate plot disguised as an amateurish plot to look like a deliberate plot that won't fool anyone as it's obviously a deliberate plot disguised as an amateurish plot disguised to fool those who see it as an deliberate plot disguised as #@@~##

STACK OVERFLOW

SYSTEM HALTED

3. Mephistro
      Coat

Does this count as a title?

It doesn't matter whether the public believes it or not. At the end of the day the Big Media will be using the official version to present this guy as a piece of scum. It doesn't matter what the sheeple believe now, they'll forget most of the details in a few months and leave room for the USA sponsored propaganda to permeate their brains. This guy will probably spend several years in prison while he waits for judgement, appeals and all that crap. That is, if he is really lucky and doesn't get extradited to the States where he would probably be jailed for many decades on charges that could be resumed in "SHOUTING THE TRUTH TO THE WORLD".

Mine is the one with the Anarchist Cookbook in the pocket.

9. Heff
    Grenade

the guy needs to watch his back

because at this rate its only a matter of time before the whiners stateside accuse him of 'injuring national security' to the extent he's a terrorist and then he'll be dragged from his bed in the dark and be stuffed into a sack, no matter what country he's in.

whilst I admire the endeavour, and even applaud the notion of public accountability for himself, I dont think its practical in the long run. get a kevlar vest and a food taster if you're going to go pantsing the US and China in the same week, IMO.

1. Heff
      Thumb Down

and here we go

Im fucking clairvoyant.

http://www.schnittshow.com/pages/reward.html

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Australian Government

The Australian government (Mr Assange is an Australian citizen) has announced they have created a "whole of government task force" to look at what criminal charges they can lay against Mr Assange, and have refused to rule out cancelling his passport.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

No they haven't

You just made that up.

11. Andrew Taylor 1
    Flame

Can't find photo?

Try here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11883567

Doesn't say much for the quality of policing used in a fit up does it?

12. bugalugs
    Joke

What's the hot-line number ?

They can seek him here and seek him there

And show us all their underwear

Right, where's the nearest phone booth ?

( stay low, fella )

13. Alexander 3
    Thumb Down

Red Notice != Arrest Warrant

Actually, this isn't an arrest warrant, it's more akin to a request for information.

http://www.interpol.int/public/wanted/default.asp

But yeah, looks mighty fishy to me. Still, I reckon when Assange is done with all the leaking, he should probably turn himself in and face the music. If I was being unfairly accused of something, I think Sweden would be one of the best places to receive the trial...

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge
      Thumb Down

True, unless...

Unless the Swedes, for whatever reason, find they must deport him back to Australia for trial there.

And that flight somehow ends up passing through the USA...

1. CheesyTheClown
        WTF?

There's something called google

A quick google of : extradition from sweden

brought me to : http://www.sweden.gov.se/sb/d/2710/a/15435

I think you'll find that first of all, sweden is almost definitely the country you want to be in to avoid being extradited. And second of all, the legal system in Sweden, is actually one of the most lenient in the world. The Pirate Bay guys will probably serve out their prison sentence by going to jail on weekends like a hotel stay. Watching some TV or surfing the net. The money punishment will be written off since while they lost the financial settlement, the law prohibits legal settlements from bankrupting individuals. So, it's almost entirely ignorable. It'll just mean they won't be getting any low interest loans from banks anytime real soon.

Sweden is exactly the place you want to be in this circumstance. That is of course unless the rape charges actually do hold up. And unless they managed to make them hold up thus far, in Sweden, they probably won't hold up again. I mean, it's a country that doesn't even have such a thing as a life sentence.

Now, if I were him... especially given that he's almost 100% guaranteed to end up in prison (or worse, living in equador). I'd find a way to get imprisoned in Sweden for a year or two, hire a ghost writer, write a book and run a blog from the inside, then laugh my ass all the way to the bank when I got out.

2. Bilgepipe

Arrest Warranty

The screen shot quite clearly states "Arrest Warrant Issued By." And it's red.

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

@Bilgepipe

Yes, and what does it say after "Arrest Warrant Issued By" ?

Does it say INTERPOL? No it doesn't, you blind troll.

Interpol have NOT issued an arrest warrant. They have issued a notice asking for information on behalf of the Swedish, who HAVE issued a warrant...

You really are spouting bilge, aren't you?

3. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

@Alexander 3

"I think Sweden would be one of the best places to receive the trial..."

That was a joke, right?

4. Wayne
      WTF?

He tried to face the music

He tried to face the music. Repeatedly. After these charges were brought, then dropped, then modified then brought again, he made several offers to attend interviews in person. When his application for residence was rejected, he asked if he could leave the country and was told he could. So he did.

After that, he continued to offer to meet with the prosecutor by video conference because he didn't want to schlepp back there, given their habit of not wanting to talk to him before. That's not unreasonable is it ?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Chip

Assange and cronies: Very Large Shoulder Chips attached to extremely small brains.

15. Steve X

wikinookie

I'm surprised he hasn't found someone who can leak all the documents about his alleged sex crimes. That would make it tricky to find a jury that couldn't be challenged as biased...

16. David Lucke

Nice dodge there

Bet Ian Huntley wishes he'd thought of this. Very publicly piss of multiple countries, particularly the US, and then you're free to commit any crime you want and you can just claim you're being framed by the CIA / Interpol / etc and everyone will campaign for you to be let off.

Not saying that's what's happening here necessarily, of course. The key is to keep a close watch on the actualy trial, which you can be sure loads of people will be doing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Re: Nice dodge there

People like you, making up pretend scenarios without a scrap of evidence is why our judiciary is FUBAR and we can't get on a plane without having our gonads etc. felt up.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interpol

That Interpol website is pretty shit! Not only don't they have Julian's photo but I did a quick search for Osama bin Laden, Lord Lucan and Martin Bormann but they weren't even in the database.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Why would Martin Bormann be on there?

He died in 1945

18. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

Julian Assange, give up your place in wikileak..

.. and hand your position to someone else until this mess is over. This is, believe it or not, for your best interest. (although, I don't know if they are going to try to make an example of you for the next wanabe wikileaker).

Oh and if you have some sort of an admin right to the site, remove that right from yourself, and ask the replacement to change your account setting, also ask him/her to start doing some internal changes so that your information is outdated.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'Sex crimes' cited

So the Interpol warrant includes lyrics from a Eurythmics song? Isn't that copyright infringement?

1. John G Imrie
      Big Brother

That Eurythmics song

Was written for the movie 1984.

20. ShaggyDoggy

Timing

Bit of a timing non-surprise here, what ...

21. Mr Larrington
    Coat

Dear Interpol

Assange est dans l'arbre.

HTH HAND.

22. Chris Hatfield
    Troll

Assange is a troll - in a good way

I love Wikileaks and think what they have done is extremely lulzy. I know what he's doing is very important for democracy and transparency, but the best thing, for me, is the entertainment value.

He isn't just trolling anyone. He's literally trolling the most powerful people in the world.

And I get a massive kick when idiot makes a comment on El Reg, saying they think Wikileaks is teh evilz. Then that comment gets a load of red thumbs-downs, because El Reg readers are mostly intelligent.

Hillary is RAGING, they want blood. Watching her stupid face as she approaches the lectern, gives me no end of joy. "We strongly condemn .. blah blah blah".

Hearing that Sarkozy say that Wikileaks is a "threat to democracy" also made me really happy. Why? Because it makes him sound like a complete tit and he doesn't even realise it!

I guess Assange is restricted to the UK, for now. My biggest worry, is that he'll be quite isolated so won't get much female companionship (in hiding). I guess that's something he'll have to live with.

1. g e

Ooooh! Just maybe....

We'll get a Steve Jobs / Heather Mills maniacal foamed-mouth moment out of Hilzy on public TV!

YouTube has a long memory :oD

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Its all very odd

I know that there is a lot of hype and BS and conspiracy theories over this but does anyone know when Interpol last released an international arrest notice for someone who has allegedly raped two women, especially when that person would seem to have co-operated with the authorities in the country where the crimes supposedly were committed. If the answer is never then it adds a lot of credence to Assage's claims.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like