back to article Big iron, x64 refresh goose server sales

The server racket returned to something resembling normalcy in the third quarter, according to the box counters at IT market-watcher Gartner. The company reckons that global server revenues in Q3 rose by 15.3 per cent to $12.29bn, while the number of machines kicked out of the world's server factories rose by 14.2 per cent to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Courtesy of FO:NV

Big iron on his hip!

Unix

Why no a breakdown by OS, as well as these OS/architecture combinations ? Show us the numbers for Unix, Unix/Linux combo, FOSS vs other, blade vs rack, even real vs virtual.

As shown this story will interest IC manufacturers but not so much the general IT industry.

Bronze badge

Re: Unix

It's virtually (see what I did there?) impossible to determine the OS load without directly polling the people implementing them. After all, if I go shopping for Proliants tomorrow, I'll stick XenServer on them. Does that put them in the Linux bucket (it's based on CentOS after all), or should I count up each instance on Windows / CentOS that's running virtually? And what if I'm not actually adding new VMs but just doing a hardware refresh or increasing headroom?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017