back to article That wasn't so bad

The success of every project depends on identifying and managing risk factors. These two case studies illustrate how broad and specific risks can affect your project’s progress. New year, new school at Culcheth The project to rebuild Culcheth High School, near Warrington, took place between 2008 and 2010 under the Building …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I missed the IT angle.

Must have been vapor-ware.

1. Noodle
      Paris Hilton

You missed the IT angle?

Good project management is essential to delivering effective IT (and just about everything else). That's the angle. Jeez..

Paris, because she probably missed the IT angle as well.

2. Bruno Girin
    Thumb Up

Change control

Absolutely right there: having a robust change control procedure is an essential part of efficient project delivery.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Boffin

So what is the norm? Most projects FUBAR?, or on the whole get done in T&B?

Because without that base line *any* idea about what the state of play in PM in *any* sector is impossible to decide.

4. CastorAcer
    IT Angle

IT Angle?

I suppose that the IT angle may be that most of the historical IT project management techniques were derived from those developed for building projects and large scale engineering. Of course times have moved on with the introduction of RAD and then the Agile techniques which are more closely allied with motor manufacturing practices. The question I would ask is whether modern IT project management can really learn much from these projects?

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Thanks for answering my question

So

either

1 in 8 projects is fully successful (c12.5% of total)

or

Their PM's are the best at spinning the result to be what was asked for.

Either way *that* does sound like a real problem.

But OMG what room for improvement.

My 50th of a major currency unit's thoughts on the matter.

Speaking personally I *never* found any rational basis for estimating development timescales.

Only people who could state such estimates with more convincing authority.

No one I worked with seemed to collect *any* information useful to developing such estimates or required information be collected to do so.

This topic is closed for new posts.