back to article A young and pretty Linux server OS that takes a bit of work

Zentyal 2 is something a little bit different, although it too has changed its name recently: version 1 was called e-Box. A decade younger than its rivals, it is based on Ubuntu, but its developers skip the normal semi-annual releases, and only use the Long Term Support ones that Canonical releases every other year. E-Box …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

A favor to ask

I'm really enjoying this series, but given that these servers are gateway/all-in-one servers - it would be helpful to understand if it's possible, and if so how difficult it is to restrict particular protocols/interfaces to the internal network only

1. Roger Greenwood

Zentyal has access to packet filter rules . .

in a straightforward way, if you need to change the defaults. Pasted from the relevant page:-

"Packet Filter

Filtering rules from internal networks to Zentyal

These rules allow you to control access from internal networks to services running on your Zentyal machine.

Filtering rules for internal networks

These rules allow you to control access from internal networks to the Internet and traffic between internal networks. If you wish to provide access to your Zentyal services, you must use the above section.

Filtering rules for traffic coming out from Zentyal

These rules allow you to control access from your Zentyal to external services.

Filtering rules from external networks to Zentyal

These rules allow you to control access from external networks to sevices running on your Zentyal machine.

Be advised that adding rules in this section may compromise your network security as you may grant access from untrusted networks. Please do not use this unless you know what you are doing.

Filtering rules from external networks to internal networks

These rules allow you to control access from external networks to internal networks.

Be advised that adding rules in this section may compromise your network security as you may grant access from untrusted networks. Please do not use this unless you know what you are doing.

Rules added by Zentyal services (Advanced)

These rules are automatically added by the Zentyal services.

You can disable these rules, but make sure you know what you are doing or otherwise some services could stop working. "

2. matt 83
      Thumb Up

title

while you can install zentyal as an all in one it's designed to be modular so you install it across as many servers as you want.

Even if you don't want to separate everything out to different servers it's pretty easy to use the firewall to select what's available on any particular interface.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Pint

Thanks for the replies Roger and Matt!

I have friends that are big fans of the all-in-one (gateway and server) concept - I'm more of the modular approach (even if I run both on the same machine I'd want to VM the two roles in separate instances) but it's good to know, with Zentyal at least, it's straight forward to deploy an all in one config and control what's available on one side vs. the other.

Cheers!

2. mikie
    WTF?

update-reboot-update

when did that start on CentOS

you can go from 5.0 to 5.5 current in one iteration of yum update & reboot

I don't think i have ever had to update then reboot and update and i have been running CentOS servers for years

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to test all kinds of new Linux server distros.

Whenever I'm at the 12-month distance from a LTS update of Ubuntu I'm unsure what to install, and custom servers such as this one offer an alternative. Since they're based on Ubuntu server they also offer a degree of familiarity which is a definite bonus.

Also, what is an un-necessary feature for one admin is invaluable for another: the lan-only webmail if it also allows for lan-only e-mail would be a much sough-after feature for myself. I'm also interested in the bandwidth shaping at the gateway aspect of th is server, especially if it's relatively simple to set up.

4. Sam Green
    Thumb Up

"Young and pretty, 'shows huge promise'"

Coffee-keyboard interaction. I blame excellently poor taste lurking on the front page

5. studentrights
    Happy

Hot Chick

I was only interested in more photos of that super-hot chick... who is she?

1. lotus49
      Paris Hilton

Er, steady on there

Isn't that a still from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe? I think she's only 12 now and was less than that when this photo was taken.

Paris, because at least she's over age (if not much else).

2. JohnG

Anna Popplewell

letters

3. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

narnia lass

Anna Popplewell

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The super-hot chick...

...surely can be nobody other than our esteemed Moderatrix, Sarah B(ee), previously known for existing in a photo-free environment!

6. Baggypants
    Linux

right click

view image

7. ramsamba
    Alert

LXDE not from china

LXDE is not from china, according to lxde.org: "The LXDE Foundation e.V. is a German registered non-profit association supporting the Global LXDE community."

8. Steve King

"Hot Chick" ^

She is one of the actresses on the Narnia films - she plays Susan I think

9. Tron Silver badge

Context is everything, clearly.

If 4chan posted that photo with a 'young and pretty' tag, I'm sure they'd kop some flak.

10. Jim_2

Re: Er, steady on there

She was 15/16 when filming the lion the witch and the wardrobe, and 21 now.

Why do I still think of that film as being made recently :(

Likewise the matrix :(

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like