back to article Orange bulks up SIM-only deals for people who text like a canary

Orange has tweaked its SIM only price plans with three "Canary" tariffs for people who "love to chat". And texting too from the look of it. The three new options are: 30 day £10 SIM only – 100 minutes and unlimited texts 12 month £10 SIM only – 300 minutes and unlimited texts 12 month £15 SIM only – 600 minutes and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Woolly Jumper

More animal nonsense?

Orange are renowned for their 'advertising' genius. Their marketing is not so hot.

Why they haven't ditched the animal nonsense is beyond me.

2. Paul Shirley

Orange - always playing confuse-a-punter

Another example of the industry addiction to confusing pricing. Make the maze hard enough to navigate and no-one can find the correct tariff. Tempt them into a 12+month contract and no-one can get out when they do choose badly.

Think I'll stick to giffgaff, Orange only beat their prices on a 12month lock in and only if I don't want any data. I like not having any lock in. Could be useful though, might actually get giffgaff off their arses enough to unbundle data for the users that don't want it, a demand they've been ignoring for nearly a year.

Nice try but Orange have a long way to go to even catch up with the best prices out there.

3. Just Thinking

Obvious

If you like to talk a lot, Canary obviously.

If you need a data connection beacuse you spend a lot of time on Twitter, Canary obviously. But that's already gone, so Dolphin, because people who spend a lot of time on Twitter are, like Dolphins, very intelligent but not quite as intelligent as humans.

People who travel - obviously camels because, unlike other animals, they are foreign.

Racoons for landlines, so obvious I don't even need to point the reason out.

4. BristolBachelor Gold badge
    Megaphone

Minimum charge

Why is the minimum charge on any of these £10 ??

I already have my phone, and I paid for it myself. All I want is a telephone number that still works when I don't use my phone for 2 months, and I just pay for what I use.

My dad has an (old) excellent contract like this, no monthly fee, just his calls and his number doesn't jsut disappear into the either.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You may want to look at a pay as you talk option

It's a new thing that all the operators only got into about 10 years ago. Basically you pay some money in every so often (a tenner every 3-6 months is plenty), and it gives you a spot of credit to use every so often. If you find you're using the phone a bit more they will even give you a bunch of free stuff for the first 30 days after top-up (300 SMS + 100mb data in the case of my Orange phone), on top of which you'll still have your tenner to make the odd call with or use for everything once the 30 days is up.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Well at least this time...

...its a viable product.. ie not trying to sell data (which they cant manage!)

perhaps I could suggest a few animals for them?

The Dirty Rat: an operator who doesn't provide what they claim to.

The (switch-a-)Roo: and operator that sells you a package that includes data but than claims they only have a remit for voice and sms, and data is just an add-on.

The Sloth: an operator who knows they have an oversubscribed under resourced network , but really cant be bothered to do anything about it.

The Fail Whale: well you can guess.

6. Andrew Woodvine

Unlimited

So how many SMS does unlimited include?

1. David Beck
      Happy

According to the Orange T&C's, that would be unlimited==3000. Why do they do this?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like