back to article Redmond rumours over Massive kill

Microsoft is reportedly set to close its in-game ad wing Massive Inc before the month is out. However, the company has declined to comment on a Mediaweek story published late last week that cited sources close to Massive who claimed the shutters would come down by the end of October. The website claimed that Massive’s general …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

Games?

People still play computer games? How 1980s ... Next you'll be telling me that people still see advertising on their personal(sic) computers ...

2. Anton Ivanov

I don't geddit...

In the day and age of network gaming having a billboard saying "Drink Pepsi" in Halo must definitely be worth something. Even if the players shoot the crap out of it. In fact especially if they shoot the crap out of it because this means they aimed at it, read it and saw it.

I don't geddit. Out of the entire MSFT entertainment empire that is one place that should have been printing money by the truckload. It takes some very serious mismanagement to fail to get money out of this one.

1. GeorgeTuk

Problem is it is Microsoft

and they don't really know the market or how to get companies interested.

MS these days seem to be triming back on stuff that is not their core business.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Stop

Then they

need to ditch their Xbox, Zune and WinMobile divisions, as they are hemorrhaging LOTS of money over the years (tens of billions of dollars)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Thank God for...

...lean, cost-efficient private enterprise.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Now that is good news

I'm glad that in-game advertising ended up being a flop.

Well done, Microsoft, for once again setting a precedent of failure that will, this time at least, serve as an example for any future endeavors of this kind.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019