back to article Dead Rising 2

Zombies, I love 'em. Sometime during my acne years in the mid-1980s I became obsessed after chancing upon Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead in a late-night Channel 4 horror season. If I hadn't messed up the timed recording of Day of the Dead a week later, my fascination with the undead might have... well... died …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Didn't Like the first one?

It appears you never enjoyed the first outing of Dead Rising. It's a shame you've been given the job of reviewing the second. More of the same? Duhhh. the same could be said for any game in any series.

If I don't like Management Sims, does this make me the best person to review Football Manager 2011? I dunno, seems a little unfair and biased to me.

1. TIMMEH

More of the same

More of the same long loading times, more of the same stilted, rubbish controls, more of the same crap survivor AI.

There's nothing unfair about it. I enjoyed the first game a great deal but I won't be buying the second. From what I've seen the new developers have simply taken the same game, warts and all, and placed it a new location. New weapons? Big deal, how about some improvements to fundamental game mechanics that were flawed in the first game.

1. DjArcas

Long loading times?

@Timmeh Buy a decent SSD. Area to are takes <2 seconds on my PC.

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Sounds like it's a case of

now it's no longer a Xbox exclusive, time to dislike it.

I fell for the Bioshock hype, where it was supposed to be immense and the Xbox fanboys loved it, when I actually got it, it was rather average with some nasty game design flaws, and I came the to conclusion very quickly, that Xbox owners were elevating average but exclusive games beyond their real status.

3. Rob 75
    Stop

Shaun of the Dead?

Zombieland. Zombieland. Zombieland.

1. ArghZombies
      Boffin

I think you'll find that

Lucio Fulci made the ultimate Zombie movie back in the 70's: Zombie Flesh Eaters.

4. Lionel Baden
    Thumb Up

Yawn Rising ??

only beause you have not seen the awesomness of PADDLESAW !!!

http://kotaku.com/5645566/how-theyre-trying-to-sell-dead-rising-2-in-japan?skyline=true&s=i

I Fukken lol'ed !!!

5. Andy Jones

Zombie movies

The remake of Dawn of the Dead was terrible!! So was Day of the Dead - just like nearly all (99%) of horror remakes.

For a good zombie film maybe you should check out Død snø (Dead Snow) - a good mixture of zombies and nazis with plenty of gore to make anyone happy.

6. Si 1
    Thumb Up

Spot on review

I agree with the review totally, with one small exception- I do think the game is worth buying despite its flaws. I thought the first Dead Rising was too broken to bother with (rubbish survivor AI, single save slot, short time limits, etc, etc). This one has sufficiently smoothed those rough edges to make the game more palatable, and there's lots of fun to be had combining items and seeing their effects on the zombie horde.

The review should perhaps have also highlighted the crippling load times. The game would have been much better served if they had found a way to stream the game world instead of serving it up in chunks with long loads between each section.

Making money could do with being easier too. Even with all the gambling "perk" magazines, it's still taking ages to afford the $2M I need for Knight Arthur's boots. There's still a helicopter, car and Hummer to buy after that!

The review is dead right about the annoying bosses too (I'm at level 50 now and the final boss and the secret one after that are still somewhat tricky). It's absolutely stupid that there aren't checkpoints before a boss. Weaving between zombies to get back to a boss fight isn't difficult, it's just time consuming, doubly so because of the long load times. So why force the player to do that instead of just having a checkpoint before the boss? Seems like obstinate game design to me.

Likewise the time limits are improved over the first, but I still fail to see the point of them. GTA doesn't take a mission away from you if you don't decide to undertake it in time. The game world is a fantastic one, filled with weapons (and combinations of weapons) that can used against the zombie horde, but the time limits mean you rarely get the time to go climbing and exploring the environment. If you do decide to explore, your reward is either to miss out on a mission or be heavily squeezed on the time left to do it.

So after all those complaints, it's still great fun to strap chainsaws to your motorbike and cut a huge swathe into the zombie horde, and it's probably worth buying for that alone. Maybe Blue Castle will be given free reign to ignore all of Keiji Inafune's stupid design decisions in Dead Rising 3...

7. Defiant
    WTF?

Annoyed

Even though the game is a port from the 360 (DX9) this will only work on Windows NT6.x

1. YARR
      Gates Halo

DX9 < 360 < DX10

The 360 is not DX9, it's an early version of DX10 but doesn't support the features of full DX10. A PC that only supports DX9 will lack some of the DX10 features used in the 360.

Having said that, I think the 360's OS is based on NT5 so the software restriction is political, however you would still need the DX10 hardware features (which any card since the Radeon R600 GPU series will have).

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

I agree to the review

I totally agree to the review, why can't they develop a simpler but more fun action game?

I bought case 0 in xbox live and was highly disappointed. The game is nothing but time limit and J-RPG like errands of collecting this and that, graphics and details are well established but actual core essence of action game play is missing. There is no fun and no time to kill zombies because time is running out, saving your daughter. Capcom should learn from Left 4 dead. I am Japanese but keep getting disappointed by J-games, they are simply never changed last 10 years and nothing but good looking characters and pipe dream stories like final fantasy series.

9. Rattus Rattus
    Alert

@Andrew Bailey

If you have a love of good zombie flicks, check out [REC] if you haven't already seen it. One of the best zombie movies I've encountered.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1038988/

10. Shinobi87

best zombie movie

shaun of the dead

or

BRAINDEAD

11. Jay 2
    Grenade

Picking up the original...

...is only good if you've got a 360/PC. For us PS3 types this is it! A few years ago the original game *almost* got me to buy a 360, but in the end I went for a PS3.

Have waited for this a while, and it's taken a bit to get used to. As the review says the controls/movement is a bit clumsy and some of the bosses I've encountered have just slapped me silly.

As stated above I'd be a bit happier if there wasn't a time limit, and having to go back to the safe house to sort out the sprog.

On the up side playing the Terror Is Reality gameshow online is pretty fun, and the money you earn there can be transferred to your game saves! If you're lazy like me it's much easier to play TIT, get the money and buy Zombrex from the pawn shop rather than try and find some in the ever decreasing time available...

12. Fading
    Paris Hilton

ZOMBIES!

As a PC gamer (as opposed to the console majority) I missed out on Dead Rising 1. So I'll probably be getting this as soon as steam put it at a more reasonable price (I'll happily pay £20 for a no media version - £30 is just a little too much) . I love my zombie films - try Special Dead if you have a "no holds barred" sense of humour - and love my zombie games; L4D is great fun though I guess not so much if you haven't got a regular group of friends to play it with (and try the I Hate Mountains add on) . So I look forward to giving this a go - might even post a mini PC review if anyone's interested.

Paris; lack of brain activity is no obstacle to Hollywood success.

13. jason 7
    Unhappy

I played the first game for......

.....about a couple of hours but just couldnt get into it due to the crappy save system.

Everytime I got killed (often as I've never got used to controllers rather than keyboards) I'd then have to sit through all the cut scenes and minor action points before I got back to the main game.

After half a dozen times I just ejected it, never played it again and traded it in for Guitar Hero World Tour.

Nice idea, dumb execution.

Play Defense Grid instead.

This topic is closed for new posts.