back to article HP and EMC vie for disk storage lead

IDC's latest quarterly disk storage tracker shows EMC and HP competing for the market lead, with EMC growing faster than HP. NetApp is growing faster still but has a lot of ground to make up. IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Disk Systems Tracker looks at the total disk storage market in terms of factory revenue along with the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about SAS and Bladed storage?

Does anyone know how these figures account for shared SAS and bladed storage which are undoubted strengths for HP. If these are grouped in with the internal numbers (as I suspect) but are sold by HP as a shared storage alternative to a SAN then the external figure might be undercalled. For example, the MDS600 which is JBOD but Microsoft are pushing heavily as a platform for Exchange 2010.

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Boffin

Dell's result not that bad considering....

Dell only really plays in the Wintel area, so they do not get the pull-through that IBM and hp get from selling enterprise UNIX, mainframe and NonStop gear. After all, who would think to buy a Claarion or Sym from Dell when EMC already has the mindshare in the enterprise customers? Those customers will just go straight to EMC. So, all in all, Dell's results are quite good.

It would be interesting to see a breakout of how strong the actual storage products are from each vendor that also sells servers by seeing how many sales are made when not part of a bundled deal with servers. I suspect just about 90+% of Dell's storage bits are are sold attached to Dell Wintel/Lintel servers. Same goes for EVA and XP (maybe the EVA has a bit more independence than the XP), I suspect a lot of it is off the back of hp server sales. The IBM XIV seems to be an exception, I hear of them being used in many non-IBM environments. Anyone know if the vendors provide such figures?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Some insight

I've insight into both HP and IBM worlds and can state the following:

MSA and EVA that often bundled with HP servers but are heavily sold into HP server accounts. EVA has LESS independence than the XP. XP is the best platform in the market and as such is successful in accounts where there isn't necessarily an HP server foothold.

XIV not as popular as you suggest in non-IBM environments. A number have essentially been given away to winback customers who are still figuring out in some cases what to do with them.

DS8000 only purchased by IBM mainframe / system p customers. Not a strong enough proposition on its' own, only stacks up when bundled with high end servers with the offer of additional discount off the server.

EMC until recently have shunned the channel so Dell actually have picked up a lot of mid-market business that has gone under EMCs radar, whether the customer is a Dell server customer or not. Resellers will work with Dell as opposed to working with EMC as it is the same kit but EMC are not interested in the channel. Plus a lot of customers still have a degree of 'anti-EMC' sentiment but recognise that they have good products.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like