back to article Sony exec forecasts physical media future

If in ten years we've all got diskless PlayStations and Xboxes, we'll all be able to jeer at Sony Computer Enterainment CEO Kaz Hirai who this week forecast such things are at least that far off, if not longer. There are two reasons for this, he told trade paper MCV, one technical, one commercial. From a technological …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I prefer to own media.

Blu-Ray all the way baby. Digitial downloaded locked to a single console? No thanks. That's Microsoft's vision.

2. MJI Silver badge
    Grenade

Same here

I buy physical media as much as possible, I have bought levels and skins from PSN, but it is quicker to go and buy a game rather than download 25GB.

I think we have about 20 to 30 PS3 games, that would be about half a Terabyte, and that is still a lot of disk space.

And if/when we change to a newer console we use the same BDs.

Imagine when games are using 50GB - the portable storage of BD comes into its own.

<---- Just an excuse to say MK-NDi

Yes I still prefer DVD-A and SACD to mp3, yes I prefer Bluray Discs to downloaded films.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hope he is right

Online distribution only =

1) basically one (or very few) distributor fixing prices without any competition.

2) you don't own anything so you can resell anything

3) many other anti-consumer reasons such as crazy DRM, crazy EULAs, etc

I hope online distribution never replaces physical distribution completely.

4. Obvious Robert
    WTF?

"despite the fact that this is how music has gone"

Has it? So I must have been imagining all those CD's I still buy, both online and in brick & mortar stores then? As far as I was aware, downloading was an *option*, not a requirement. I've only downloaded one entire album and that was because it cost £7 to download from Amazon or £30 to import the CD from Japan. Other than that I want a lossless physical copy that I can play where I want, rip to format of my choice, lend to friends etc, and I don't particularly want that to change thank you very much.

5. Tom 35

"despite the fact that this is how music has gone"

A track on iTunes is 6-7 MB, you could download that with dialup. A crappy youtube quality TV episode is about 100 MB, and abut 2-3 times that for good quality SD. An HD movie 8-9 GB for crappy 720p xbox download or 20+ for good 1080p with zero extra features (don't expect high quality to even be available).

With most ISPs moving to capped service (and I'm sure if downloads became popular some would think they should get a cut) you would need to buy the expensive plan to get a high enough cap. I'm not going to pay $70 a month just so I can download a couple of HD movies

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like