back to article Croydon Advertiser blows lid on 'sinister' brothel

The Croydon Advertiser has done a bit of a Hull Daily Mail in an exposé of a "sinister" brothel "operating in the same building as a charity for the elderly". The quality piece of investigative journalism recounts how a fearless undercover reporter was "offered sex with a prostitute for £50 at the seedy enterprise in London …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

This rather reminds me...

...of a news item the other day on Real Radio (commercial pap radio chain covering the Northwest et al), exposing the massive rise in people using the services of pay day loan companies. Following some 10 minutes later by adverts for 3 of them!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sinister?

Does that mean green lights, dry ice and ominous organ music?

1. Rogerborg

Re: Sinister?

>"Does that mean green lights, dry ice and ominous organ music?"

No, it means that the happy endings are delivered with the left hand.

2. Ian K
      Coat

Yep, Sinister

Ominous organs are pretty sinister in themselves; the musical accompaniment maxes the entire business.

Mine's the one that inexplicably looks like a flasher mac.

3. Anomalous Cowherd Silver badge

Yes, definitely sinister

It's actually quite easy to spot too.

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/4985/39421165.jpg

4. Border Reiver
      Coat

Re: Sinister?

Sinister?

Does this mean that customers walk in and ask for a left-hand job?

I'll get my coat.

3. John Riddoch
    FAIL

Genius

Doesn't get any better than this at showing the utter rank hypocrisy in tabloid "journalism". Frankly, they live off ranting and raving about something relatively inconsequential to avoid highlighting the fact they don't have any real moral principles they can back.

4. peyton?
    Happy

Can't be a coincidence

Just happens to be in the same building as a "charity" for the elderly. My money says the world's oldest profession is being managed by the world's oldest people.

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Joke

Got it the wrong way around

The Croydon is actually a public service company, rigorously checking the morals of all companies who pass ads in their paper. Those who fail the test get exposed, in addition to having paid money for ads.

It's a moral win for everyone !

Isn't it ?

6. Zebulebu

As a resident of West Croydon...

And, more specifically, living about 200 yards away from said brothel I can categorically state that it isn't the worst thing about the area. In fact, if you were to draw up a scientifc scale - with '1' being an idyllic home counties village and '10' being Downtown Barranquilla, the area would rank about 8.9. It is a grim, abject shithole.

Having the local rag crammed through my letterbox in various states of disrepair, I can also faithfully report that The Croydon Advertiser consists of approximately four pages of editorial - seemingly written by a combination of Al Murray, Diane Abbott and Jeremy Kyle - two pages of 'sport' (if you can call 'Crystal Palace' a football team) and forty six pages of adverts for beds, cars, ex-council estate slum clearance houses, faith healers, evangelists and - yes - brothels.

1. Cosmo
      Stop

Ahhh Croydon

I was born just up the road in Mayday Hospital. London Road was never fantastic, but now that area of West Croydon does resemble a bombed out part of a third-world country.

The old Croydon General hospital is still rubble, as is the Half Moon pub and anywhere that does actually gets flattened gets turned into "modern contemporary apartments" I.e. Shared Ownership and Housing Association slumboxes.

Not forgetting all of the drunks that hang around West Croydon station, plus the regular fights that happen at the mini-cab place next door on a Friday and Saturday night. Ahhhh happy memories...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

£50?

Is that average? And could one get a 2 for 1 special?

1. LinkOfHyrule
      Joke

I think they do offer a special deal

I think they do offer a special money off deal actually - but you need to collect tokens in the local paper to qualify!*

*I might be wrong though

8. buckie
    Coat

Admirable restraint exercised

in avoiding the use of the phrase "cock up" in this article...

...oh bugger!

1. jcw
      Joke

I'm afraid...

... that costs extra sir

9. Jeremy 2
    FAIL

Pulled!

The rag seems to be a tad embarrassed about all the lovely attention they're getting - the article appears to have been pulled. The links from El Reg and the Guardian both return the message "Sorry we are experiencing difficulty processing your request at the moment." and all trace of it has vanished from the site's internal search results.

So they obviously stand by the quality of their journalism...

10. solarian

Hypocrisy?

Reminds me of George Bush Sr.'s prime-time advert for crack. We're all shocked -- shocked! -- to discover brothels are doing business in Croydon.

11. Graham Jordan

Thank heavens

So I'm in London on a weeks training course. Is this place anywhere near Liverpool Station?

Just so I know to avoid it...

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Thank heavens

*stifles it*

Enjoy your stay in our nation's capital!

2. some vaguely opinionated bloke
      Headmaster

Geography?

"Is this place anywhere near Liverpool Station?"

Which particular station in Liverpool were you thinking of? Lime Street's about 230 miles away from Croydon, by road...

1. Dave Murray
        Headmaster

Geography

No Liverpool Street Station London, about 3 miles from Croydon by road. Seems pretty obvious.

1. Mark Aggleton

Not quite

Nearer 12 actually

2. some vaguely opinionated bloke
          Headmaster

Eats shoots and leaves

It's not necessarily obvious that Liverpool Station (the station in Liverpool) and Liverpool Street Station (the station on Liverpool Street) are the same thing.

And what better way to avoid a place in Croydon than be 230 miles away from it; apart from to be more than 230 miles away from it?

But you're right, there *is* no Liverpool Street Station about 3 miles from Croydon by road. There is one about 11 miles from Croydon, depending on which bit of Croydon you start from. Which also seems pretty obvious.

12. The Other Steve
    Alert

Just me then?

Prostitution != trafficking. CCAT ? More like ASSHAT.

1. AndyS
      Thumb Down

Yes, just you.

Nothing wrong with a charity opposing trafficking.

Nothing wrong with that charity being aware of the link between trafficking and prostitution.

And finally, nothing wrong with said charity pointing out rank hypocrisy in local papers.

I must have missed the bit you're objecting to.

1. The Other Steve

Yes you must

That would be the bit where the "charity" that opposes trafficking automatically conflates it with prostitution. Try reading again but this time slowly. You can move your lips if it helps, no one is watching.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So how expensive would it have to be...

So how expensive would it have to be for the brothel not to be sinister?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

First paragraph should have been

"While reading our very own paper we discovered a disturbing fact. A brothel is up and running, and paying us to advertise it, which we do willingly and with full knowledge of the type of business"

Would be nice if they were forced to reprint the article with the truth as the first paragraph

15. Ken 16 Silver badge
    Coat

creepy guys who look like they haven't had a bath for a long time == journalist?

I'm get my dirty mac

1. LinkOfHyrule
      Joke

Fanboi!

Every story on the Register mentions Apple these days... Oh hang on... that kind of dirty mac!

16. Moz

Who's Story?

Did The Gruniad cut-n-paste you, or the other way around?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/greenslade/2010/aug/18/northcliffe-media-prostitution

17. Ben Rosenthal

so

does this mean that the paper has now knowingly taken money raised by prostitution? Doesn't that make the paper a sort of pimp?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Who's Story

Did The Gruniad cut-n-paste you, or the other way around?

Do get the spelling right please, it's Grauniad.

Did you know that :-

http://www.grauniad.co.uk/

works, while :-

http://www.torygraph.co.uk/

does not work?

19. Graham Bartlett

@Other Steve

Not all prostitutes are trafficked women. However most trafficked women are prostitutes.

What part of this were you having problems following?

20. MarkieMark1
    Happy

@AC 16:02

http://www.dailywail.co.uk is the best :-)

21. The New Turtle
    Badgers

Some kind of title

Isn't all publicity 'good' publicity?

Badgers, because.

This topic is closed for new posts.