back to article Microsoft digs Macs in back-to-school ads

Microsoft has dusted off some hoary anti-Apple chestnuts in a new "Macs-suck-we-don't" web-based ad effort. It must be back-to-school computer-buying time — and Microsoft's marketeers aren't going to let the Mac's sales surge continue without a fight. Redmond floats a few reasons why a Windows PC is superior to a Mac on its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Astonishing Chutzpah

errata

"If most of the computers in your office or school run Windows you may find it harder to get things done with a Mac."

"If most of the computers in your office or school run a different version of Windows, or a different version of their Office products, you may find it harder to get things done with a PC."

FTFY

1. MacroRodent
      Thumb Down

Convicted monopolist boasting about its monopoly

And if most of the Windows computers at the school used OpenOffice for office work, instead or MS Office, Mac users, Linux users, Solaris users, FreeBSD users etc. would not notice much difference, since it works pretty much the same on all those platforms.

In that part of the ad, Microsoft is pretty much admitting it has the office suite monopoly, and you had better go along with it, or else...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Jobs Horns

LOL - funny

Was that backward compatable or forwardly back compatible with future versions not yet developed?

Using Microsofts new 2015 prerelease version of office 2020 in 2010 beta verison that only runs *.wankx files (windows anticiapatory neurally keyed Xformat); thus rendering all software obsolete before it's even available.

And all versions ever produced - are now being given a free security upgrade to lock them against further use until the buyer buys the update patches....

2. Semaj

a

"and who popularized those over a decade ago?"

I doubt very much that any college student is going to settle for a mac that was made over a decade ago. And if you don't think that the way it looks is a major factor for most buyers of computers then you are very mistaken so this is a fairly major point rather than a niggle. Unfortunately (for Microsoft) the case is that Macs ARE more fashionable than PCs and complaining that you can't stand out by having a non white / silver machine isn't going to do much when fitting in with their peers is what young people WANT to do.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not only that

But a Mac from a decade ago is more likely to run something from today than a PC will.

I recall running Marathon back in the late 90's on a Mac IIc; ran well!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Coffee/keyboard

Not only that?

OK, I'll bite.

Please elaborate how a 10-year-old 500MHz Powermac G3 with Mac OS 9 (state-of-the-art then) would run today's software better than a 1GHz (state-of-the-art as well) PC with Windows 2000?

Or if you are comparing the hardware alone, and would have upgraded the OS anyway:

How would running the same Mac with OSX 10.4 vs. the same PC with XP SP3 enable running more software from today?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Linux

MHz/GHz

Means nothing. Any idiot can claim a machine is faster because it's got more Hz. In point of fact, this was a major reason why AMD do not use Hz ratings on their processors, instead listing them as compatible with XYZMhz Intel. Benchmarking shows this as well.

So.. tell me again what your point is??

1. Anonymous Coward
            Coffee/keyboard

Re: Hz

If you would have read the comment thoroughly, you'd have noticed it wasn't about the Hz's.

It was about the likelihood to run today's software in either the G4+OS9 vs. P3+W2K case, or G4+OSX10.4 vs. P3+XP. The original poster claimed Mac victorious even though OS-wise the PC would win hands down. Even the latest Apple Quicktime doesn't work with the Mac (requires OSX 10.5), but the PC with XP would be fine. (though why would anyone install Quicktime on a PC is beyond me)

I'm sure there would be cases where the G4-500 would beat the P3-1000.

2. DavCrav
        FAIL

FYI

Marathon runs fine on PCs; in fact you can download it for free now.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Grenade

Run it on a PC as old as the IIc

Then we can talk.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

With a PC running Windows you get

Blue Screen of death

You need to run anti virus software

Patches EVERY month

Zero day exploits

1. Bear Features

mac user myself

and? Blue screen of death? When was the last time? Don't even remember. My bloody Macbook Pro froze out of the box.

You need to run (free) anti-virus software. a. and? 2. Mac store in London advised me to get it for my MCP.

Patches every month... and?

Seriously... stop believing the Apple fed advertising. You know what I do on my Windows machine? Get on with it, and use it. And it's great. :p

2. Tigra 07
      FAIL

What planet are you on?

Yes you're right of course.

There are no vulnerabilities for a mac, and no one has ever had malware on a mac

Only non mac computers are vulnerable to hacking and viruses and trojans

Isn't that right apple fanboy?

1. Seareach

well it pretty much is right ....

in my experience

xfingers

fanman

2. Jurassic

You are absolutely correct.

There are no viruses for Mac OS X, and never have been since it came into use ten years ago.

Thanks for pointing that out ;-)

1. Tigra 07

Mac security not so good

http://www.securemac.com/

Even the mac security site points out shit loads of trojans and threats Jurassic

2. Tigra 07
          FAIL

Wrong Jurassic

The virus, named OSX/Leap-A (also known as OSX/Oompa-A) spreads via instant messaging systems.

Found a Virus for Mac OS X already, do some research before making a spurious fanboy defense

3. Arnold Lieberman
      FAIL

Where have you been the last 10 years?

BSOD... nope, not once on Windows 7. XP BSODs are usually caused by poor third party drivers, and I've seen enough Macs lock up to know that they are just as susceptible to crashes.

AV software? Macs are just as prone to viruses, and as the platform is becoming more popular the number will increase. Pig-headed arrogant twats who think they are impervious to such attack vectors are going to be the next victims.

Patches? Of course, Apple NEVER patch their software becuase it's perfect. At least M$ don't charge for service packs.

Zero day exploits. Nothing unique to Windoze, happens on all systems. Your time will come, ignorant fool! Bwahahahaha!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

RE: Where have you been the last 10 years?

"Patches? Of course, Apple NEVER patch their software becuase it's perfect. At least M$ don't charge for service packs."

Err. Neither do Apple - you just choose a menu option to look for updates and off you go...

2. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

@Arnie: So *you've* not "blue*" screened...

That doesn't mean that blue* screens don't occur anymore. I've had a couple with WIndows 7, all driver related, all drivers causing conflicts were Micros~1 own, all on regulation Dell hardware.

"AV software? Macs are just as prone to viruses, and as the platform is becoming more popular the number will increase." Funny thing is, you trolls have been predicting this ad infinitum and it has yet to materialise. The very same trolls are beginning to levy this assertion on Linux too. "Pig-headed arrogant twats..." Quite, Arnold. Pot and kettle? "...who think they are impervious to such attack vectors are going to be the next victims." Those users exist on all platforms, Arnold.

"Patches? Of course, Apple NEVER patch their software becuase it's perfect. At least M$ don't charge for service packs." Neither do Apple, Arnold. Would it be easier for you if Apple adopted Micros~1 more archaic OS naming system? Think of OS X 10.6 as Mac OS 16 if it's any easier.

When do the school holidays end?

*They've changed it to black

3. Anonymous Coward
        Megaphone

@Arnold Lieberman

I dont get BSOD's on my windows 7, the machine sometimes wont start without being repaired though. Happened quite a few times now with several machines. Maybe they "Fixed" BSOD's like they fixed GPF's in XP?

MAC's are not just as prone to Viruses you are generalising for your own argument., I've never ran AV on my MAC's and rarely run AV on my PC's, I have never had an infection, as I take appropriate care when dealing with Email.

To each their own. I'm happy using a blend of technology and I can quite honestly say all have issues, windows simply has more of them.

4. heyrick Silver badge
      FAIL

@ Aimee

Using XP, I've not had a BSOD in years. I've probably just jinxed myself, but... Oh, and while the Win32 builds (W95/98/ME) could be famously unstable, many of the BSODs on my W98SE box were for amazingly stupid things, like "Please insert CD 6F67DD4635C57665B8678A4E6435 into drive D:"... why couldn't that be a MsgBox?

Are you implying you don't run any anti-virus software? At all? Muppet.

Patches EVERY month. This is a bad thing? It might be a PITA for systems admins with a hundred odd boxes to update, but I think it would be better to have the update in place than to shrug and say "oh well". Because that attitude is a bit lame if it comes After the fact.

Zero day exploits - trust me, I will be on the floor laughing so hard I'm in danger of losing body fluids when Macs get their first headline-making exploit. NOTHING is secure. Perhaps the only reason Macs have remained largely unexploited is because there are a lot more stupid people using Windows, stupid people who will fall for scams like fake login pages and likely use the same password for everything. Think about it, the days of cute obscure political messages and "wiping your boot sector" are over. It would be trivially simple to kill a Windows-based PC, but - come on - what's the point? If somebody is going to compromise your machine, they will be in it for cold hard cash. Botnets, keyloggers, and all manner of scams. These sorts of things will work well on people that need to "call an expert" to plug their printer in for them. In other words, not your typical Mac user. But it will happen eventually.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

If you and others had read it carefully

you would have noted I said Windows , without declaring a version.

I also never mentioned MAC, OSX or Apple in the post, you all assumed I was comparing like for like, no, I was stating what happens with Windows. (and I have experienced all of these problems)

Thanks for the social exercise lab rats. (The clue was in the icon)

5. Wallyb132
      FAIL

Running a Mac you get...

BSOD's

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/29/no_java_for_leopard/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/27/leopard_install_problems/

Viruses

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/20/pinhead_mac_trojan/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/28/fake_mac_software_malware/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/20/pinhead_mac_trojan/

No patches

yadda yadda yadda

4. CheesyTheClown
    WTF?

Bought a Mac to run Windows, I don't get it

Seriously, last PC I bought was a MacBook, got it home, shrunk the Mac partition to 25gb and then installed Windows 7 on the remaining 225gb. I would have much preferred to install Windows straight on the hardware, but apparently, you can't get the drivers from Apple unless you use BootCamp from OS X. I've wasted 25 gigs on other stuff, seems fine to me.

Apple makes great computers, but OS X just isn't that interesting. I love my iPhone, I like my AppleTV, I love my iPod, I love my MacBook, just think OS X is such a clunker. I have to reboot it all the time, I have to stand on my head to make things work the way they should. Adobe products just run better on Windows anyway.

A great way to use the MacBook however is to install VirtualBox on Windows, then install Mac OS X in VirtualBox and then install iRapp to merge the desktops. That's pretty entertaining. Then you're on Windows, but you get to run Mac apps too.

1. Richard 81

You're weired

People have always been interested in getting OSX to work on PCs, but Windows only on a Mac? Why on earth would you want to do that?!? You could've bought a comparable PC laptop much cheaper than it cost for your MacBook.

Also, you should send me your MacBook. You've been abusing it and clearly can't be trusted.

1. Anonymous Coward
        WTF?

re You're Weird

Maybe not... I run my business on Macs simply because it's true that they 'just work' and the TCO has saved us a pile since we switched. I didn't see why anyone would run Windows alone on a Mac (though I can see you might run Windows under Mac OS X if you had an app you wanted to keep for a while during the changeover). However, I met a chap recently who had just sold his business that wrote some sort of database software under Windows. To my eternal surprise he was running Windows alone on Macs. The reason... for the heavy lifting the MacPros were faster than anything from Dell etc at a similar price point and due to the reliability of the hardware and the hardware support from Apple (he'd had experience of Dell support as had we-say no more!). Don't know whether I would have gone down that road, but it's food for thought. He was certainly no mug and had sold out for a sizeable sum. just my 2 penny worth....

2. Daniel 1
      Joke

And they say Mac users have more money than sense

You bought a machine that many think is overpriced, in the first place, and then covered it's hard drive with NTFS. I think you deserve some sort of prize.

Or a trip back to 1999.

One or the other.

5. RefriedNoodle
    Gates Horns

The arrogance...

...of both companies. I always thought Apple's "I'm a Mac" campaign was a little below the belt, but this list of Microsoft is downright crap.

Use Windows for a PVR? I thought they DRM'd most of it to the point where it can't do the things most people want.

Mac doesn't let you choose? Try walking into a computer shop and try to buy a pc *without* Windows. See if Microsoft lets you choose that.

Macs don't like to share? One of the most frustrating things i sometimes have to do on Windows, is share files with computers not on the same domain as i am. While i have no issues with using scp on the commandline to get my files anywhere i want on *nix. Yeah, the syntax takes some getting used to, but it works anytime.

And two other points on the list basically say "we have a monopoly, it's best for both of us if you just bend over."

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      Go

Windows makes a great PVR.

Absolutely stunning. I love it. Can't say I've seen any sign of DRM beyond what is on physical media already.

GJC

1. Fuzz

Re: Windows makes a great PVR

I agree, great looking on screen display, very easy to set up and control. Way ahead of any other PVR I've used in terms of usability and it's included in Vista and Windows 7.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

In all fairness...

...you've probably got more chance of walking into a PC shop and buying a PC without Windows than walking into an Apple store and buying a Mac without OS X.

1. Lickass McClippers

RE: In all fairness...

/\ /\ /\ Whut he said /\ /\ /\

I have never in my life bought a PC with Windows pre-installed, and I've had a few of them over the last decade and a half. The fact I've installed Windows on them afterwards is my choice...

Happy

I've never in my life bought a PC.

In fact, up until recently I could (and often did, mostly when drunk) argue that I was still running the original PC that I built in 1990. It'd been upgraded a bit along the way, but the floppy drive was still original. Then I discovered the floppy drive was no longer working, and probably hadn't been for many years, so scrapped it in the next round of upgrades.

I found the original case in the loft the other day, with motherboard number 6 or 7 still installed. Happy memories.

GJC

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes you are correct

and you wouldn't be able to run much else on any of the other mainstream Unixes other than the manufactures operating system.

You buy OSX knowing the manufacturer has crafted the base system software to the hardware,

this is what you pay for.

Now if you wish to put Windows or Linux on any old hardware fine, but be aware of the potential problems.

3. Gaz Jay
      Thumb Down

RE: In all fairness

Real computer shops would let the customer decide what they wanted on the PC.

The one I used to work in would ask when a customer wanted a custom build, which was quite common. We even had "off the peg" PCs with *nix installed ready to go in the shop.

Not all computer shops are PC World.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have to comment fast to beat the diehards

Why don't they mention price? That's the first thing I'd bring up if I was going to convince anyone not to buy a mac.

1. mego
      Gates Horns

Because oranges to oranges

You get more Mac for what you pay for than a PC. Unfortunately, since I can't stand Mac - this is a sad fact.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Price

Yep that and https://www.dreamspark.com/ and they don't really need any more cunning marketing as far as students go.

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Yet another toll of the MS death Bell

So whats the biggest ommission? the one reason you had to buy windows?

Gaming.

MS do not want games on the PC they want consoles only. So what is the point in getting windows for a PC? NONE! There is no reason, ubuntu/ Linux / Mac all have suitable web browsers. some have free word processors too.

MS on PC is dead.

1. Lickass McClippers

Title

You get a thumbs up for the observation about Gaming. I'm a long term PC Gamer, never really liked consoles. However, personal circumstance has meant that I've not had room to have the desktop rig up and running. So to feed my gaming habit, I've been PS3ing it for the last few years. My PC has been shut in a cupboard all that time, and even though I've now able to get the desktop out, it'll probably continue to sit exactly where it is. I'll make do with the laptop for the t'internets.

However, if I could, I'd also thumbs down you for the observation that MS on PC is dead. Because frankly that's an absurd notion...

Gates Halo

MS Dead or dying?

Well, it's not a completely absurd notion. As online apps get more and more capable, and FOSS solutions become oh so gradually more polished, MS is looking increasingly shaky with their current offerings of Windows and Office.

However, as online and FOSS solutions move on, so do Microsoft. So another possible future sees MS regaining ground with new packaging of their current offerings, and new products alongside them.

Time will tell. If I were a gambling man, I wouldn't be counting MS out any time soon, but neither would I be investing heavily in their shares.

But, if they do eventually die, I for one will miss them. It's been one hell of a ride, and I think it can be argued that the PC wouldn't have reached it's current ubiquitous position without MS's corporate strategy. But that's the past, and this is the future - I wonder what it holds?

GJC

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Gaming on a Mac ?

You knock Windows and your excuse is gaming ? In what universe do you live ?

This is the list of games I have currently installed :

AI War, Bejeweled 2 dlx, Battlefield 2, Brothers In Arms, Car Tycoon, Civilization 4, Crysis + Warhead, Diablo II, Dungeon Keeper II, Evil Genius, Far Cry, Freelancer, Galactic Civilizations, Hellgate London, Imperium Galactica II, Lemmings95, LotRO, Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries, Nuclear Ball 2, Star Wars Rebellion, Rome Total War, Settlers 2, SimCity 4, StarCraft II, Unreal Tournament 4, WarCraft III, Capitalism 2, Company Of Heroes, Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War, Dungeon and Dragons Online, Driving Speed 2, Etherlords 2, FreeCiv, Future Pinball, GTA 3 San Andreas, Lode Runner, Mahjongg, Micro Machines 4, Transport Tycoon dlx, Plasma Pong, Prison Tycoon, Stubbs, Supreme Commander, SWINE, Syndicat, Transport Giant, Theme Hospital, TOCA Race Driver 3 and World of Goo.

And you can add Steam games if you want :

Alien Breed Impact, Alien Swarm, Counter-Strike Source, Day Of Defeat, Defense Grid : The Awakening, Enemy Territory Quake Wars, Gratuitious Space Battles, Guild Wars, Left 4 Dead 2, Operation Flashpoint : Dragon Rising, Portal, Half-Life (+Opposing Forces +Blue Shift), Half-Life 2, Serious Sam HD : First Encounter, Supreme Commander 2, Torchlight, UT3: Black Edition, WH40K DoW II.

And these are just the games I play currently, not all the ones I have (legitimately, I must add).

So, MAC boy, how many of these games do you have on your platform ?

Since not long ago, you have Portal. That much I know, since they made a great PR stunt about it on Steam.

What else ?

And consoles, pah ! No console has the selection I have, period. No console has any RTS title worth anything. I doubt you can play any Guild Wars, World of Warcraft, or other MMORPG title on console.

How many subscribers to World of Warcraft already ?

Windows is far from dead, troll.

Far from.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Stop

RE: Gaming on a Mac ?

"How many subscribers to World of Warcraft already ?"

Hundreds of thousands. Since WoW is available on the Mac (with much less chance of getting your account hacked), I fail to see your point...

2. Station Grey

Wrong joystick

Kid, you need to have sex with someone, and soon!

3. Daniel B.
      Troll

StarCraft 2

There. You got a good reason why I should keep my PC. Of course, I could have a Mac, but I won't as long as Jobs is in the helm, or at least Jobs with his current attitude.

1. Barry Lane 1
        Grenade

@Daniel B.

"Of course, I could have a Mac, but I won't as long as Jobs is in the helm".

Yeah, like Steve Ballmer's a real angel. Right?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Correct me if I'm wrong but

Don't all the schools in the US have Macs in the classroom? All the TV shows I've seen seems to imply that.

Also, doesn't MS create a Mac version of Office as well?

Having fun eh? Uh huh, the pangs Windows 7 put me through when using a RPC1 DVD drive...

To be fair tho, having being spoiled by mice with scroll wheels, I now find the lack of it irritating. And scroll wheel support on a Mac is a hit-and-miss affair. Logitech USB mice with scroll wheels work (after a driver install), but not the PS2 one going through a Belkin F1D080 PC-to-Mac KVM converter.

1. shadowphiar

scroll wheels a non-issue

It's 2010 and you're still using a PS/2 mouse? Pfffft.

Just go to Tesco and buy a USB wheely mouse for 50p, and plug it in, no drivers required. It's a non-issue.

1. Volker Hett

it's 2010

And I still use the Logitech Trackman Marble FX I bought 2001, best Trackball ever made!

On a Mac with a PS/2 to USB converter :)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like