back to article LiMo rumoured set for recall to Linux mothership

The operator-backed LiMo Foundation is on the verge of folding into the Linux Foundation, according to Taiwanese manufacturers working with the standard. Digitimes reports that Vodafone has given up on the platform following poor sales of its LiMo-based Vodafone 360 handsets, and that the remaining partners are having a hard …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. mattaw
    FAIL

that "high level API" would be QT wouldn't it?

Heck, it even ports to desktops correctly.

But no, it is going to be something even worse....

2. James 47

Design by committee?

What could possibly go wrong?

Ha, if Android had its roadmap planned this way it'd still be under development.

3. Chris Jau

not about Android

This is about LiMo merging with Meego, which was already donated to the Linux Foundation by Intel and Nokia. It's not about Android.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There's a problem with most of these mobile OSS initiatives

For a lot of them the backing is 'All Mouth and No Trousers' (as an old student housemate from Bolton used to phrase it).

Providing anything of use requires work. Not powerpoint slides and meetings and press releases, but real work.

Real work means real engineers. Integrating what's already there needs an investment in engineers that are good at integration, not just 'it works in our company/team/my laptop'.

What Google have got right in Android is the fact that they have focused team to produce something that works on their reference device (and all the phones appear to be clones of that reference device with minimal changes). What happens in Microsoft is basically the same (and apple, obviously).

LiMo became unfortunately a talking shop, where nothing was ever delivered, or anything they did branch was so old they couldn't contribute to the upstream projects it was based on. As has been noted, the majority of contributions to linux come from a few people who are in well funded teams that are dedicated to keeping things current...

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      FAIL

All the phones are indeed clones of the reference device....

....except for minor tweaks like a different CPU, different graphics controller, different screen hardware and resolution, yada, yada.

GJC

5. Goat Jam

If I recall correctly

Epic Failure was predicted by most commentards here when the LiMo Consortium was first mooted.

I sure know that I predicted it.

I'm not surprised that this is the way it is panning out at all. Phone companies have never been good at software. They're to focused on feature checklists and until apple and android arrived their software was usually a hacked together afterthough that is shipped out as soon as it starts to "mostly work" with nary an update to be found.

6. Major N
    FAIL

well..

I actually have one of aforementioned Samsung/LiMo/360 phones. It's an interesting set up, but I am constantly disappointed that it is not Andriod, since Voda seem to favour the walled garden approach, and no-one is porting those Andriod apps I keep seeing to it (I don't see how it could be difficult, but there isn't enough market share to make it worthwhile I imagine). Even the touted 'tight integration' with FailBook et al isn't really that good. It's a shame the community which was trying to port Android to it never managed it, cause the H1 is a lovely piece of hardware let down by its OS. Which, as an interesting aside, doesn't do proper Multitasking, and doesn't even save the state of the browser unless it is interrupted by an incoming call/message. Sound familiar?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like