back to article Premium rate rants plummet again

The number of complaints to premium rate phone regulator PhonepayPlus (PPP) dropped by 52 per cent in the last year, it has said. PPP said it received 11,249 complaints in 2009/10, down from 23,244 the previous year. PPP, which regulates the premium rate services industry under powers granted by telecoms watchdog Ofcom, has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andy 18

What about 0800/0845

My phone package includes a ridiculous number of all network minutes and I never call premium lines if I can avoid it. So, my biggest gripe is 0800/0845 numbers. They are the only calls I pay extra for. It seems very odd that BT can still call them freephone/local rate numbers.

1. paulf
      Boffin

There is space for an operator to be innovative here

I'd be happy if I could use my inclusive minutes for 08x numbers like this:

080x & 084x numbers use 2 normal inclusive minute per minute

087x numbers use 3 normal inclusive minute per minute

Yes its a steep mark up, but I'd see it as a compromise - I'd rather use up my inclusive minutes faster than have to pay ~25p/min at all times, even with loads of inclusive minutes left at the end of the month.

If you disagree - don't down vote - reply below with a better suggestion!

I've even said to my provider that I would take out a package with more minutes if they did this kind of thing, buts its out of bundle usage (i.e. charges when you're out of inclusive mins/texts or charge-at-all-times 08x numbers) where they make their money now.

The reason 0800 numbers got blacklisted from mobiles is that people started buying calling cards to make calls cheaper while the 080x call from the mobile was free (certainly on Orange and what is now T-Mobile). Now that kind of thing is only partly worth doing with those cards that let you ring a normal 01/02/03 number to make cheap international calls.

2. Danny Roberts 1

Say No...

I'm in the same boat, one of the most used websites on my phone is www.saynoto0870.com

2. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Premium rate rants plummet again

PPP and Ofcom should clamp down on the excessive uplift the mobile networks add to the cost of calling certain ranges (eg 08 and 09)

How many people are going to be ripped off voting in the x-factor, dancing on ice or calling suzie from dagenham to get their rocks off

The TV shows have to read out a 10 page essay "calls from mobiles will cost considerably more" - yes they do Schofield, a hell of a lot more than the advertised price

make a 50p a 50p ppp and ofcom, don't let the mobile networks charge up to double more than the advertised price. IT HAS TO STOP

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

(untitled)

If people watch those shows with anything but contempt, they deserve huge bills.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PhonePayPlus

Bloody stupid name. That is all.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like