back to article 'Freeware' phishing kit dupes s'kiddies

Skilled malware authors have duped less skilled cybercrooks into doing their dirty work with a new phishing kit. A "freeware" phishing kit posted onto hacker forums poses as a way to set up fraudulent websites pretending to be, for example, PayPal or webmail providers. Spam emails masquerading as security checks are then …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Nothing new

This is nothing new free phasing pages on forums are always backdoored

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hackers exploiting other hackers?

I not sure this is new - and when do script kiddies count as hackers?

3. Cliff

Honour, thieves etc

I've not seen this with phishing kits, but seeing as the massmailer php scripts leaked out to spammers often contain a line or so of mysterious base64, which you can decode to find the page phoning home with a big old list of email addresses to add to the script supplier's own private spam lists, I'm far from shocked.

4. Gabor Laszlo
    Flame

Phishers/script kiddies/pond scum

Please replace any instance of the word 'hackers' in the article with any of the above. These guys don't hack, they just exploit the stupidity of others.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New?

If the authors of such phising kits haven't been doing this for years then they're much dumber than I thought.

6. Paul Vail
    Paris Hilton

Conspiracy Theorists love it

Ah, those pesky arabs... committing economic warfare against the unsuspecting west again using our own stupidity against us. First they came at us with that whole zero-nine numbering scam (clearly bringing the downfall of Rome), then that whole religion thing (as if two Abraham lineages weren't enough bother), then they suckered us into a civilization based on petroleum -- and now this. When will it end?

Paris... because she'd never let herself get hacked. Oh, wait...

7. AlexLiy
    Pint

Reminded me of a write-up I did a couple of years back about...

...Rock Phish, which has been around since 2005; thus, this sort of thing is not new at all, as far as the objective of this "new freeware" is concerned. It *is*, however, interesting to note that it started in the cloud now. Looks like we're about to see more of the usual tricks we see now (or at least those that can be deemed effective) done there. From "in the wild" to "in the cloud"? Ah well, whatever. Let's drink to that!

8. Elmer Phud
    Happy

easy money?

It's just pyramid selling.

Get the marks to do all your work for you and pocket the results -- now who do the small-fry go to to complain that they are getting ripped off when trying to rip people off?

9. KayKay
    Thumb Down

Always worried about that cloud idea

That's where thunder, lightning, hail and cyclones come from.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like