back to article Opera lands 'Carakan' JavaScript engine on mobiles

Opera has brought its revamped "Carakan" JavaScript engine and Vega graphics library to smartphones, releasing a beta incarnation of Opera Mobile 10.1 for Nokia's Symbian-based S60 platform. Carakan debuted with version 10.50 of Opera's desktop browser, significantly boosting JavaScript performance. In a blog post, Opera …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Symbian? Really?

Where's the Android version please?

2. Wyrmhole_
    Heart

What about the desktop?

It would be nice if Opera would also land some fixes for some of the elementary bugs in their desktop browser, such as tabs and dialogs not knowing when they have focus and forcing you to click everything twice.

1. MarkOne
      FAIL

???? Confused.com

I use the desktpp browser daily and never seen this. Sounds like you either need to get 10.60 or fix your setup...

3. Alastair 7

Android: seconded

I really don't understand why Opera made Mini for Android and not mobile. It's clearly a capable platform.

1. James Howat

Why not Android?

The Opera Core is designed to be portable, but it's in C++. To port it to Android it would need to be re-written in Java, which is a massive effort. Since the browser side of Opera Mini is already a Java codebase, it's much easier to port.

1. p3ngwin1

native app ?

i only know a little about the architecture of Android, whilst being a very interested spectator, but could Opera be made as a "native app" so maybe avoiding some (all?) of the Java burden ??

2. MarkOne
        Stop

You can write in C on android.

Not just Java.

And there is already a Opera Widget SDK for full Android, which is basically the full Opera Mobile 10. It's released by Vodaphone, but you can install the APK on your phone manually.

Clearly Opera HAVE the Android 10.1 good, but are holding it back.

4. Stevie

Bah!

And thus the XSS enablers gain yet another foothold.

Get *rid* of stupid, unnecessary insecure tech.

Ban JavaScript now!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like