back to article Microsoft's modest Bing tinkerers on Google trip

Ex-Walmart man and current Microsoftie Kevin Turner might have peppered partners with anti-Google talking points this week, but the team that's building Redmond's challenger Bing aren't so gung-ho. In fact, they're being uncharacteristically soft-spoken — for Microsoft — about their hopes for the future and dreams of changing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. paul-s
    FAIL

But It's Not Google

And never could be.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's not Google

And that provides me one very good reason to use it.

2. Sean Timarco Baggaley

About bloody time too.

The present state of the search industry—i.e. only one major player with a near monopoly; sound familiar?—is deeply unhealthy.

And Microsoft have been flailing about like a drowning man for years. It's about damned time they started getting *something* right in this sector. And toning down the arrogance is an unexpected bonus.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

How can Bing ever be a global success...

When it has so many crappy portal partners all over the world? Regional Bing is a shadow of the US experience because MS doesn't want to tread on any partner toes

4. Mike Pellatt
    FAIL

Not so much for Googlers to be scared of really

"Privately, Googlers admit they are scared of Microsoft — and they should be, given it's track record of coming from behind against Novell, Palm, and Sony in operating systems, devices, and games over the years."

I rate that track record 1 out of 3 - operating systems. Well, file serving (so 90's) to be precise, but I won't be picky.

Where is the MS device that beat Palm ?? Shurely you can't mean Windows Mobile-based devices ??

And if I was running a company, I'd like to make a PROFIT out of what I sell. The MS Games division is a long, long, long way from doing that. Not that Sony is, either, but large piles of cash can last a long, long time.

5. Robert Forsyth

Just add Wolfram|Alpha search add-in to your browser

to get Bing's proposed features

http://www.wolframalpha.com/downloads.html#searchAddons

Also, you can do the image wipes, without Silvelight, in current HTML and JavaScript on a decent browser: avoiding Microsoft lock-in.

We users need competing search services, not competing advert services.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like