back to article New dinosaur dubbed 'Mojoceratops' - 'over a few beers'

A newly-discovered dinosaur has been officially named the "Mojoceratops". Apparently, beer was involved. The skull of Mojoceratops perifania. Credit: Yale Prehistoric head-frill mojo The discoverer of the new species is post-doctoral researcher Nicholas Longrich of Yale uni in the States, who found skulls and other …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. disgruntled yank

Need to work on the classical mojo.

Liddell & Scott render περιφάν-εια first as "conspicuousness", derived from περιφαίνομαι to be visible from all sides--which does seem to apply to Mojoceratops. They do give a secondary meaning of "celebrity, distinction".

(Thanks to www.perseus.tufts.edu. for the L&S)

2. Dan 10
    Coat

Translation

So he called it "dick-horn-face-and-proud-of-it"?!!!

3. dannymc

Those darned paleontologists

Such a riotous bunch.

4. DZ-Jay

Oh gawd.

Science, by the Twitter generation.

I weep for the future.

-dZ.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Convention must be obeyed!

Thank god I no longer have to weep for the past.

Internet lulz FTW.

2. gimbal
      Paris Hilton

@DZ-Jay : You pinned it, bro

I'm sure they'll soon elect to rename the Pleistocene Epoch to "The Days of Epic Chill" or something involving jin and juice.

As long as they don't start burning the books, though, then I hope we're alright, at least for the sakes of the remaining genuine research scientists of forthcoming generations, and those of the present.

On a more genuine angle: Public education standards are something that many people would probably not enjoy true criticism about, but I think that some constructive criticism about as much would be very appropriate, these days. The quality of public education, throughout any region, is going to affect the level of regional ... erm ... shall one say, regional remedial-ness?

I don't believe private education standards would all be so far out of step with those of the public schools, either. We're all on the same national ship, here, after all.

Fix those standards, and set up curricula - around the nation - upon which *all* teachers would be required to actually know what they're teaching, first, then to *teach* (and where the real teachers would be the most supported in as much) and then things may start to change for the better.

Failing that, I'm shipping off to higher ground - or maybe I'll just go for a career in entertainment, after all.

Paris, because doesn't *she* deserve a Nobel Prize for Hawtnesss??...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Headmaster

Re: What's wrong with education

At least, from the American angle:

http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/underground/

3. Anonymous Coward
      Megaphone

Woah slow down

Dz! Stop! You don't need to s-hey where are you going?

DZ!

You don't need to sign your posts! We can see your name!

..I don't think he heard me you guys.

5. The_Police!
    Coat

Did it

loose it's Mojo?

1. Campbeltonian

Yes.

It needs tightening now.

Or perhaps it was fired from a bow?

6. Michael 28
    Pint

Powerpuff girls?

......Mojo Jojo????????

7. MinionZero
    Joke

head frill usage and upgrade options

As it was a big animal, maybe it also used that head frill like a radiator to stay cool? (with skin and Arteries etc.. over it ... maybe it lived in hot countries so it needed its own low tech air conditioning/radiator built in?). Or maybe the deluxe model used it for TV and radio reception. :)

8. Stevie

Bah!

Needs more cowbell:

Mojoceratops Spifferino

9. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Linguicism is real!

So why is there a prejudice against all languages other than greek or latin. I for one would much prefer an easy to remember name over a complex, strange sounding name with buried meaning.

For example, the Diplodocus (meaning Double Beam, wtf?) why not just call it Frank or Michelle or something.

1. Captain Thyratron

It's good precisely because it sounds strange.

It's handy that way because it provides an unambiguous and nearly systematic means of naming taxa. It's useful precisely because it's made of words from ancient forms of languages that are both well-known and rarely used. You get lots of words to use to name things, most of which haven't been used for anything else since toilets were still considered a really nifty and innovative idea. You're not going to encounter something like "Pogonomyrmex barbatus" in everyday speech; thus, when you hear it or read it, you know immediately that it's almost certainly the name of a species, and you can look it up and find out rather quickly that it's a a certain species of red harvester ant--not three or four species, and probably not a manufacturer of plumbing fixtures.

When you say Diplodocus, I know you're talking about a genus of dinosaur. If I didn't, I'd know you were talking about a genus of /something/ and I'd find out quickly that it's a dinosaur. If you said "Frank", you could be talking about all sorts of things. It'd be confusing, and you could have saved yourself some trouble by just naming the genus in classical Greek. Any old, arcane, but well-documented language people don't use much most places would do; I suppose old Persian, Akkadian, Sanskrit, ancient Hebrew, or classical Chinese would probably suffice as well.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mojo is also the given name of one Adam Lebowitz

who, in his own words, plays with spaceships on such TV shows as Babylon 5, Star Trek: Voyager and Battlestar Galactica. He's rather obnoxious.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Badgers

Yeah Baby Yeah....

well someone had to say it :)

badgers...well what are you going to seriously use your Mojo to chase...

12. Combat Wombat
    Badgers

Yeah baby !

We found his mojo ! finally !

13. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Diggin' it

I'm still digging for a LOLasaurus.

Yeah yeah, lame joke. I'll just grab my coat and be on my way.

14. Graham Marsden
    Pint

Pity they weren't drinking Rum highballs...

... then it could have been a Mojitoceratops!

15. Morpho Devilpepper
    Coat

Much better than my suggestion

I was going for Mofosaurus Wankerii.

But then, I'm hardly an expert. I rarely drink at work.

Speaking of...maybe a late liquid lunch. I'm off.

16. ElReg!comments!Pierre

So another case of US science then?

«This dinosaur probably used its frill to attract mates»

Yes, that is now a scientific fact I guess. It must be true because that's what any drunk young labgeek would do with such a thing.

Reminds me of how the national Natural History museum in Washington (District of Columbia, USA) has a quite lenghty description of how and why the Easter Island statues were erected and why they face the land and not the sea and what was their role and how they were used in which celebrations, to what avail. Despite no-one actually knowing the first thing about any of it as the people who set them up mostly disappeared due to -maybe- ressource shortage and -for sure- european incursions without leaving any convincing cultural trace and next to no archeological clues (besides the statues themselves, that is). Pure gratuitous speculations presented as hard demonstrated facts. By the "largest museum in the world". And people wonder why some yanks don't trust science anymore.

Not that it matters anyway, as this "new" dinausor will probably be debunked as a complete fabrication from random bones in a few years. Or failing that, will be matched to something described 20 years ago by a european or asian lab (as US scientists have a nasty habit of only checking US scientific litterature). Or failing that, the name will be overturned to something more academic (and actually fitting in the -quite loose- naming standards) in 10 years time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It must be bile poisoning

From the Smithsonian website, "The Smithsonian Institution, the world's largest museum complex". Note "complex".

Also, you must have been not paying attention whilst at the Smithsonian. An article published in 2007.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/people-places/The_Mystery_of_Easter_Island.html

Note the key conclusion "Scientists may never find a conclusive answer to when the Polynesians colonized the island and why the civilization collapsed so quickly".

As for mistakes in identifying dinosaurs, check out this link.

http://fossil.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Search?search=misidentification&go=1&x=0&y=0

You'll be pleased to know that Europeans and Asians make the list. Phew!

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

What's your point exactly?

«From the Smithsonian website, "The Smithsonian Institution, the world's largest museum complex". Note "complex".»

And it is important because?

«Also, you must have been not paying attention whilst at the Smithsonian. An article published in 2007.»

Ah, I think you misread the paper as the sign in the museum clearly states that the statues are representations of the elders and look towards the land to protect their people and that they were the main actors of huge summer festivities in which the natives filled the eyes with corals and flowers to increase fertility. Plus some other stuff. From memory.

Or, oh wait, maybe, just maybe, the person writing the article was not the same as the person writing the sign in the actual museum? Maybe the largest museum (or "museum complex" if you like) in the world employs more than one single person after all?

«You'll be pleased to know that Europeans and Asians make the list.»

Well of course, I don't know why they wouldn't. If you re-read my post I think you'll find that I was singling out the US not for their mistakes but for their tendency to not read scientific reports from anywhere else in the world, leading to a periodic re-inventing of the wheel.

17. TimeMaster T
    Coat

Power Puff

First Mojo Jo Jo, now Mojoceratops.

I can see him now ...

Mines the one with the Power Puff Girls DVD in the pocket

18. AndrewG

Thin Edge of the Wedge

Just imaging if the naming standards were open and corporate sponsorship was involved

someone could discover the iphoneraptor, the vistasaurus, or even the Dellodon

An that would even have an IT angle

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Calm down, dears!

There's nothing new in novelty dinosaur names.

http://www.neatorama.com/2007/02/19/the-worlds-strangest-dinosaur-names/

Gotta love "MACKENZIURUS JOHNNYI, M. JOEYI, M. DEEDEEI, M. CEEJAYI"

20. Mussie (Ed)
    WTF?

Anyone else

Anyone else think this looks like an alien queens head (RE ALIENS)

21. Lloyd
    Thumb Down

Personally I'm looking forward to the

"Does that make you horny baby" REX

22. David 141
    Thumb Up

Naming rights

Vistasaurus: big, ugly, slow and stupid?

23. Fluffykins Silver badge

It just struck me

Drinking: Rex, your health!

Drinking rex your health!

Drinkling Rex: Your health!

24. Jolyon Ralph

Scientific naming fun.

It happens in all fields, I imagine.

In the world of minerals, for example, mineral species names traditionally (with few exceptions) end in ITE (eg Fluorite, Calcite, Pyrite, etc.) A few hundred new minerals are found each year and are named after various things, places, important people etc.

At one point not long ago, a new mineral was found and they wanted to name it after John S. White, a former curator at the Smithsonian in the US. So some bright spark decided that they could just call it White.

Apparently the formal process went quite far, only stumbling when they got to the part of the physical description where it stated "Color: White is beige"

It's now called Whiteite

This topic is closed for new posts.