back to article Android and iPhone bite into Nokia Q2 results

Nokia has been having a worse year than expected, reminding the world that it's a tough market out there. Not that the world's largest phone manufacturer is downgrading expectations for the industry as a whole, or even expecting its own market share to drop significantly. The company will simply be selling fewer high-end …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

meh...

all the worst phones i have ever used have come from Nokia, so bye-bye and take your crap with you.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

meh...

All the best phones I have ever used have come from Nokia.

1610 - So much better than the Mitsubishi I had before it - and the first phone I owned that did mobile phone calls well.

5110 - Probably the best phone I have ever owned, kept it for an age as well. I used it for data as well as calls, even ran the car over it once and it kept working.

7110 - Flashy phone, worked well.

6310i - Nice phone again, always worked well, started using bluetooth with the phone - not the greatest experience, but I blame the bluetooth standard more than the phone.

6700 - One of the best phones I've ever had, did everything well, still use it for my international sim.

E72 - Brilliant for e-mail, really usable keyboard.

Of the other phones I've had, we'll see:

Mitsubishi MT5 - battery life sucked so badly you couldn't use it mobile. Battery had to be removed to be charged.

Sony Erikson T610 - was nice initially, joystick directional thing broke within 6-8 months.

Blackberries - Having broken 4 blackberries in a year, I gave up on them. 3 were the silly roller-ball stopping working

Motorola Droid - loving it at the moment, I'll wait and see in the long run though.

In my opinion, Nokia make the best phones. At the moment, they are losing out on multi-function devices (smart phones), but I wouldn't write them off yet.

2. NX1977
    Grenade

Missed an opportunity

Nokia should have embraced Android to buy some time.

It's only going to go down hill when Q3 & Q4 figures come out....

3. Sam Dutton

One-click Qt will make a difference

The Qt Symbian SDK is now much less complicated to install than it used to be, with better integration of Qt Creator and emulator.

http://qt.nokia.com/products/platform/symbian.

This should make Symbian/Windows Mobile/Maemo/Meego much more tempting to developers.

4. [Yamthief]
    Grenade

Farewell...

Nokia haven't pushed any boundries for years now. The 3210 was robust and nigh-on indestructable, but since then what have they released? Colour screens... wow.

It's about time a few other big contenders got in on the market. With a high end battle between android and "iOS" maybe we'll start seeing some big changes.

SymbianOS was buggy and regularly crashed or locked up and has done nothing in terms of improving over the past few years - Maemo is Nokia's only hope in my opinion.

I agree with NX1977. Android showed a lot of potential even before any handsets were released. They missed a chance and now they're suffering for it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Not Android

If they adopted Android they would have had a difficult time explaining to the legions of existing customers why their latest phone has inferior battery life, an unfamiliar interface and half the features, so no, that would not have been a good move business wise.

5. Levente Szileszky

Meego v Android? Get real, please.

Seriously: MeeGoo (still a very stupid name) is nowhere near to be ready for a phone and anything Symbian can offer is YEARS behind the competition.

Heck Sony Ericsson, a much smaller vendor, is far ahead of Nokia.

Nokia has NO CLUE where they are going - what, 2-3 "re-organization" in 12 months or so? Pleahhse, get real.

Get real and get on the Android ship before you lose your revenues - you can keep wasting money on your MeeToo but stop the bleeding first.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like