back to article Nokia rides you hard for power

Nokia will shortly launch a bicycle-powered recharging kit for its phones, providing free power as long as you can pedal at eight miles per hour. Not entirely free of course, you'll pay for it in food energy and tired leg muscles. The kit will be available around the world later this year, and consists of the familiar "bottle …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LuMan
    Stop

Brakes??

Wow. It looks like that dynamo creates so much drag you won't need brakes!!

Unless it's a fixed rear wheel, of course.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

What a cockingly awful idea.

Nuff said.

3. Brian Miller

Been there, done that, its available now

The Son dynamo hub can hook up to a E-WERK by Busch & Müller to charge your devices. There isn't any power left over for lights, but what the hey.

I have both a Son dynamo hub on one bike, and a Busch & Müller tire dynamo on another. The B&M really doesn't produce a lot of drag, once you are going.

4. James 47
    Thumb Up

I like this

The rub on the tyre is probably adjustable. This should let you either use SportsTracker while going for a long ride, let you take occasional photos and perhaps upload them on-the-fly while not completely killing your battery. If you're the ultra-sporty type you can use it to track longer training sessions around Richmond Park.

There's also the Maps navigation use-case, although I don't like the idea of having to wear earphones while cycling around London, and sunny conditions might make the screen difficult to see.

Good on Nokia, I say! It's quite an environmentally conscious company, although it rarely makes the press, and shareholders don't seem to care either.

1. blackworx

Environmental conscience

Nokia may have, comparatively speaking (for a major globocorp whose devices all use batteries) a decent environmental conscience, but considering that: A) phones already come with a charger; and B) it probably costs more in energy and resources to manufacture the dynamo/charging kit than the phone would actually use in charge over its entire lifetime, I don't believe this is in any way "green". Excellent on a practical level for people in developing countries, yes, but green - no.

The whole "buy this shiny thing, it helps save the planet" marketing angle is a crock.

5. Patrick R
    FAIL

You're joking, right ?

After all dynamos have been replaced by batteries, who'd want to get one for their phone ? This is back to the medieval age of biking. How long do you travel before it saves you 1/2 a cent on your electricity bill ?

1. John Robson Silver badge
      Boffin

Alive and well

Dynamos are alive and well. Just because you stopped cycling when you were ten doesn't mean everyone else did.

Alot of dynamos now are built into wheel hubs, and the drag is equivalent to cycling up ~5 feet per mile. That's not enough to be called a slope, even if you live in Norfolk.

Bottle dynamos are less efficient, about 10-15 feet per mile (boo hoo)

Reelights and similar use non contact dynamos - a loop of wire on the frame and a magnet on the wheel - pure induction, no mechanical drag. Yes they also take energy, but at less than 5 feet/mile you'll not notice.

6. Ian Loveridge

usb?

Bottle dynamo systems are a lot better than they used to be and drag should be barely noticeable tbh. However, I thought phone manufacturers were starting to standardise on micro usb...

7. Gunnar Wolf
    Thumb Up

It's not about saving power from the mains...

this thingy is not meant for you to save the ~1W the phone charger consumes - It is about giving you longer autonomy, clearly targetted at GPS-savvy people. For one, I surely want to get one - I don't ride long rides that often, but when I do, it's always a turn-down that the battery dies after tracking ~50-60Km.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Longer autonomy"?

May I make a suggestion?

Either buy a phone with a considerably better battery life or stop overnight somewhere with real-live-electrickery occasionally on your round-the-world cycle ride?

Just a thought, like.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

battery life

No matter what the phone is, battery life with GPS switched on is usually appalling.

I'd happily trade in light and thin for longer battery life. Are you taking notes, HTC?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

as you can pedal at eight miles per hour

Eight miles per hour? That's running pace. That's crawling on a push bike.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

peddling?

Er, are we supposed to ride or sell the bike? It's pedalling for Pete's sake.

10. IR
    Happy

Ha

Here's an idea for lazy kids - make them have to get exercise in order to use their phone.

The smart ones would probably just hook it up to a power drill though.

1. Shannon Jacobs
      Welcome

Combined with an exercise bike?

Actually what I want would be to combine this into an exercise bike that links to Google Street View for virtual travel combined with real exercise. I doubt any practical generator could provide enough power for the entire system including the computer, display(s), and network hardware, but the system can tap the extra power from mains and the generator would be a minor selling point: "In emergency situations, you can cut out the extras and at least still be able to charge your cell phone."

Actually, when I think about it that way, this sounds like a tail wagging the dog. I guess I'd skip the generator part...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

solar next?

impact of your feet on the ground for walkers? Come on, it is the 21st century, we don't all drive everywhere we go

12. Jon 66
    Thumb Up

could have used this last week!

Not sure about mass-market appeal but I came back from a week's camping and cycling holiday in the netherlands last week and my mobile ran out of juice mid-week...

13. Chimombi

That's a great idea. I want one.

However, can someone invent a chain to keep the phone from being pinched off of the bike? :)

14. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

well done...

... managed to sneak in a bash at an Apple product there, it's de rigueur these days, dontcha know?

15. blackworx
    Unhappy

Ugh bottle dynamos

Thought they'd disappeared round about the same time as the Austin Princess?

Inefficient, noisy and damaging to your tyres. What's not to like?

16. Giles Jones Gold badge

Dynamo hub

If you have a dynamo hub then there is no rub or resistance. I don't see why this wouldn't work?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I bet...

In America you would get a patent granted for this... Despite you being able to make one from nothing more than a standard dynamo (6volt), a 5 volt regulator (pennies) and the USB lead you get with most phones.

It certainly sounds like a good idea, I just hope they have improved the GPS reception on newer phones, as the N97 lags so far behind at anything beyond walking pace, it'll be shouting directions to you just as you pass the junction you wants. That's certainly my experience of it in my car, so I went back to my tom tom.

18. ar106
    Thumb Up

Useful for GPS

I've actually been looking for something like this, as I occasionally do long bike rides following a GPX route on the ViewRanger app on my 5800XM with handlebar mount. After 3 hours or so the battery starts dying with the screen on and the GPS connected. This would be a great solution for that.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Yeah, great

How about making the phones themselves do what they're supposed to first?

As a long time (not sure how much longer) Nokia fan, disgruntled N900 owner and spouse of disgruntled N97 owner I think they have more important things to work on than a f@#%ing cycle-mounted phone charger.

Nokia have really lost their way.

1. David Beck
      Happy

Look at E-series

You need to get away from the "almost an iPhone" products and look at what is happening in the E series. Nobody told these guys you had to touch the screen and they just keep packing in stuff and making the phones smaller and batteries bigger. I've got an E55 that does everything but cook breakfast and I can run all of it with my left hand (handy since my right hand is in a splint).

Note of caution - the E series phones will not change your life, will not make you popular at parties and will not encourage you to join the local ashram. It is a bloody good phone however and has enough goodies (hardware and apps) to keep you occupied for months.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Unhappy

Anonymous unhappy N900 owner

I agree the E Series tend to be very good. I have gone back to my E90 from the N900.

I only got the N900 as my E90 is starting to look a bit battered and was tired of waiting (probably in vain) for a replacement for the E90.

Battery life on my E90 seems twice as good as on the N900. :-(

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like