back to article Google removes Chrome beta tag on Mac, Linux

Google has promoted Mac and Linux versions of its Chrome browser out of beta, marking the first time the search behemoth has brought them into its fold of ready-for-prime-time releases. Released on Tuesday, Chrome 5 brings a variety of fixes and new features to users of Windows, OS X, and Linux. Chief among them is the ability …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dave Auld
    Pint

Now what?

Chrome updated to V5.............check

Seeing a difference...................nope

now what? Only time will tell i guess.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

@Dave Auld

The stability is in how well it transfers all your privacy to Google to monetise and sell to advertisers who will inundate you with products you neither need nor want.

2. mittfh
    Linux

Mandriva users...

Use the Fedora 32-bit RPM. It works fine (on 2010.0 at least) :)

It'll even add it's own repository, so theoretically should update itself as/when a new release arrives.

Tux for obvious reasons :)

3. Tom 7

"upcoming performance improvements to Flash"

You mean it will actually work - or just crash faster?

4. Big-nosed Pengie

Noscript?

Does it have it yet?

If not, wake me up when it does.

1. James Hughes 1

Dunno.

Have you bothered to try it for yourself? It's quite easy; what you do is download it, install it, then see if NoScript works.

See, pretty easy really. Even you could do it. Probably in only a little more time it took you to read the article, then make a comment.

Enjoy your sleep.

5. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Happy

They bothered with 64bit

Alright Google are the anti-christ at the moment but checking the download page, unlike others, they have at least managed bothered to make a 64bit DEB package for us freetards!

6. lIsRT
    Thumb Down

lIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlI

It doesn't yet appear to have the ability to override a website's choice of font.

I'll be interested when I can tell 'l' and 'I' apart in Chrome.

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Meh...

Opera 10.53 still trounces it in performance, web standards compliance, features and style..

Why should we be interested in a browser that tracks your browsing habits and sends them off to Google, when there are far bettter browsers like Opera around?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

Meh, chrome doesn't adhere to my theme settings in Ubuntu and just displays itself in the normal Chrome style :|

Other than that, seems fine so far, can't complain, yet...

9. Francis Davey 1
    FAIL

Chrome is not fit for purpose

Many of us - and an increasing number of us - use the web as our primary workspace. SaaS means that the browser is, for us, a primary operating system. It is therefore surprising that google have totally failed to learn important lessons from earlier operating system failures.

For example, if I accidentally hit CMND-Q (on my Mac, other key combinations on other systems), Chrome quits without complaint. All open tabs and running applications die. If Windows, Linux or MacOS behaved like that we'd all be screaming blue murder, but google don't care:

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=147

They think they know better. Their attitude seems to be "the world ought to work differently, so we won't change".

Sure, one *can* rebind keys in the OS and so on, but having a one-click kills everything out of the box is so obviously a wrong decision and yet they totally fail to engage with the numerous users who have reported it as a bug. Doesn't bode well.

I'll stick to FF.

This topic is closed for new posts.