back to article Apple guzzles wobbly concierge service

Apple has acquired a company whose only application is a voice-based concierge service for the iPhone, proving Apple can listen to its customers just as well as Google can. Google's Android Platform has Voice Search built in, while Apple's iPhone only responds to the most basic of vocal commands, which is where Siri comes in. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

new Apple phone name - iCatchUp

Been lagging behind since Android first appeared and getting left way behind.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

hmmm

Except the 3gs has voice dialling via bluetooth, unlike Android. Which is damned annoying, and the only thing that stopped me buying an HTC Desire.

2. Stefing

Exactly

It's interesting to watch the 'market leader' play catch-up with the new kid - the little green robot is comprehensively showing the Cult of Jobs a clean pair of heels!

3. chr0m4t1c

Android fanboi?

In what way?

From a features perspective, the iPhone has *never* been cutting edge, certainly. But then neither have most Android phones, only the more recent ones have started to lead the technology field and all you're really saying is "this device that launched last week is more advanced than a device that launched ten months ago", which falls quite neatly into the "No sh*t?" category.

From a market share perspective, Android is still playing catchup.

Looking at smartphones only: 47% Symbian, 21% RIM, 15% Apple, 9% Android

And the picture is even worse for the whole phone market where Nokia is on around 52% and almost everyone else is on around 0.1%

Yeah, sure recent figures suggest that people are coming to Android, but to say the others are playing "catch up" is plainly wrong.

Mind you, I do fully expect my next phone will be running Android, though.

2. Neil 13

I've already got one of these...

... it's called 'The wife'.

1. Gary F
      Unhappy

Can I have a copy of yours please?

My copy of "The Wife" doesn't respond to voice commands. :-(

3. s. pam Silver badge
    Flame

NOW HEAR THIS, NOW HEAR THIS...

This is the voice of G*d, <ahem> ...

Hi it's Chairman Bill, YOU MUST LISTEN AND COMPLY TO US. WE KNOW BEST FOR YOU....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Troll

Chairman Bill?

This is an article about Apple!!

4. Hayden Clark Silver badge
    Happy

What's the betting..

.. that the voice files actually get routed ot a call centre, where an operative types the query into Google?

5. Naughtyhorse
    Alert

one problem

well 2 actually, siri infringes iPPLES copy right it has 2 small i's in it

expect it to d sappear from the crapstore any day now....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like