back to article Suburban woman accused of using net to recruit terrorists

A suburban Pennsylvania woman who went by the online alias JihadJane used the internet to recruit Islamic terrorists and to plot the assassination of a Swedish cartoonist who depicted the Prophet Mohammed, according to a federal indictment unsealed Tuesday. Colleen R LaRose was charged with conspiracy to provide material …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

JihadJane?

JihadJane huh? Thats definitely worth a special one off 'Mini Darwin Award' for 'clever use of an anonymous online alias that will never attract attention' Well done there.

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

So is she fat, ugly and has no friends

Was she really a Jihad'ist or just some lonely moose looking to make friends and feel accepted. As a means of establishing contact posting messages on YouTripe doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

'My friends don't understand me' sob sob sob. If I become a muslin I can hide in a tent and become a owned women.

of course I could be completely wrong and she could be a BinLaden'ette but I doubt it.

Anon because I don't wanna be seen to supporting Fat, Ugly Moose's with no friends

3. aufder576

The misguided ideals behind JihadJane's venom

Genocide is promulgated by the 'authorities' on Islamic jurisprudence, such as Egypt's Al-Azhar University, based on Qur'an suras ("Slay the unbelievers wheresoever ye find them") and hadiths ("The Day of Resurrection will not arrive until the Moslems make war against the Jews and kill them" [Sahih Bukhari 004.52.176]). And yet scholarship (Cook, Crone, inter alia) shows that the Abbasid dynasty ordered the hadiths written in the guise of Muhammad's prophesy over 200 years after his death, and the Qur'an was not compiled even 100 years after his death. Anyone contemplating the "truth" of the Qur'an should consider that this text confuses the Biblical Saul with Gideon, Mary of Nazareth with Miriam the sister of Moses, interpolates Zoroastrian fables with the prophet's cameos, and is largely a rehashing of Rabbinic Judaism, with plenty of pre-Islamic stone deities (Hubal, al-Uzza) and genies paid homage along the way. The notion that a law guiding civilization could be contrived from this confusion and the political intrigues of Muhammad's heirs needs to be exposed as a fallacy. Read "Why I Am Not a Muslim" for the real story on what the Muslim sources themselves reveal about the "truth" guiding Islamic conquests.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch
      Troll

Slay the unbelievers wheresoever ye find them"

Then there's the very Christian messages like "never suffer a witch to live" or "none shall get to heaven except through me [Jesus]". All these cults are pretty much the same: we're the only game in town! Kill/shun/damn the unbelievers!

I much prefer the Buddhist perspective on life and religion, as exemplified (perhaps) by this quote attributed to the Zen master Linji: "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him."

Another quote might also be appropriate to show the Buddhist perspective on creating images of the "religion's" central figure.

Monk: What is the Buddha?

Unmon: A dried shit-stick (ie, something to wipe your arse with)

I'm sure some more "moderate" Judeo-Christian cultists will complain that all the talk about killing the infidels/non-believers isn't meant to be taken literally. But really, if you start stripping out those bits, why not all the other literal stuff about heaven/life eternal/etc.? What are you left with then? Just another dog and pony show, IMO.

Oh, and just one more thing I want to mention... all these anit-Jihadist or anti-Al-Queda polemics are just as bad since by negating or opposing something, they end up reifying it too. Thus does the wheel of nonsense go round and round...

(not aon, so you know which one to shun in future)

4. jake Silver badge

"If"?

"If convicted, LaRose faces a maximum sentence of life in prison and a fine of $1m."

If not found "not guilty by reason of insanity", followed by several years under close medical supervision until whatever meds she needs start working, her entire law team should be disbarred, and whoever employs them should be publicly ridiculed. Maybe we should bring back the stocks ... I know a couple local fruit stands which would happily supply the rotting veggies.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So they watch Americans?

So they watch USA citizens correspondence online and build an innuendo case against them? Because what you've quoted has no beef in it.

"desperate to do something somehow to help"..."blend in with many people".. innuendo dressing needed to suggest a plot.

"One conspirator directed LaRose to travel to Sweden, hunt down a resident there and to kill him".

Here's the main core of the claim, but suppose they did arrest him and he turns out to be a troll she's humoring, what then? The whole core of their claim is to infer a REAL plot without actually filing charges on the real plot!

"I will make this my goal till i achieve it or die trying."

I will become a ballerina or die trying! Watch me Plié into a Pirouette! And?? That's just a common English phrase, used often and without literal meaning??? Is that it?

Where's the beef? It's like when they raided a guys office because they were discussing how you would go about killing Dick Cheney (steak trough the heart would be my suggestion) and it sent a chill through the net because hypothetical discussions were dangerous, you had to watch what you said because somebody could re-interpret it, select random statements and assemble a case of innuendo.

Do they *actually* have evidence of a plot, or just innuendo statements in this because what you've quoted has no beef in it, and I find it disturbing that they watch everyones correspondence like that.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Planning a crime

"One conspirator directed LaRose to travel to Sweden, hunt down a resident there and to kill him"

is also a crime.

Here is a nickel (5¢) buy a clue.

(Too bad I can't have both the Fail and the flames.. Clearly the fail is more appropriate.)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@My nickel or yours?

Dear Mr Schultz, "Please go to Sweden and kill that cartoonist"

Police: "We arrest you for something that bloke said to you".

I'd hit you with the clue stick, but you might confuse it with assault and battery.

2. McToo
      Joke

I'd go along with that....

(steak trough the heart would be my suggestion) - a very fine dish indeed!

6. Hollerith 1

The clue as to this woman's sanity

Would be in the bark, bark, bark.

One has to be able to distinguish the fiendishly evil from the barking mad.

7. Gav
    Alert

Somebody help her

So this woman based her mission on life on a remark posted on a Youtube forum??? She is clearly nuttier than a squirrel's number two. Anyone that gives the slightest credence to anything said in the troll and moron infested cesspits that are Youtube forums is in need of serious help.

8. R J Tysoe
    Grenade

Try reading actual newspapers

Those wondering what crime she has committed, if you didn't get all your news from ElReg you might have seen this story in the papers or actual news website - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8558022.stm

Given the timing of the release of information and the arrests in Ireland, and the fact that it says it "involved police in the US", I would suggest these things are connected.

9. Cameron Colley

Forget her been barking...

...what about the collection of assorted brain-dead and/or brain-washed scum she was communicating with?

Some guy draws a picture and people are offering rewards of thousands of dollars for someone to kill him? Seriously!?

A lonely woman on YouTube suddenly sounds relatively sane.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

I was waiting

I was waiting for someone to point out that half of that could be tongue-in-cheek

I don't know any details of the case but from what's beenr eported here, I'd be more likely to laugh than be afraid...

11. moonface

JihadJane

If these Islamic terrorists were not so horrible to cartoonists! Then maybe a cartoonist may be inclined to start a pro Jihad propaganda strip.

Visions now of JihadJane running around in various pro Jihadist exploits wearing a rather sexy burqa. Would do wonders for Terrorist's morale....

12. Pablo
    Big Brother

Conspirators

Wouldn't it be reasonable to assume the other five "conspirators" were all CIA/FBI/DHS agents?

This topic is closed for new posts.