back to article More workers poisoned by supplier for Apple, Nokia

The Taiwanese company that provides displays and electronic components for Apple, Nokia, and others has admitted that more employees than previously reported have been poisoned by an industrial chemical used in its manufacturing facilities. According to a report Thursday by Global Post, a Wintek spokesman admitted that 62 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

But Apple are green!

Well, the subcontractors are now.

Skeletor won't be happy!

2. Raumkraut
    Thumb Down

Heart attacks

So the chemical - which can cause muscular degeneration - had nothing to do with the person who died, because he died when his heart - which is pretty much entirely muscle - gave out. No possible connection there, right?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

ironic....

...how Greenpeace a few months ago were singing the praises of Apple for being tree hugging luvlies.

But then again, who gives a shit about a few Chinese, to many of the buggers killing the trees and pandas anyway....

1. Leo Davidson

Green hardware companies

Even without this issue, it's hard to imagine how anyone could consider Apple (or any/many other hardware companies) "green" when their modus operandi is to convince the world to buy electronic gadgets and then, a year later, throw them in the bin and buy the new models.

I imagine every hardware company *wants* to do that but Apple seem fairly unique in actually achieving it, with people being eager to bin their current Apple kit and refresh it as soon as a new model is out. (Or maybe it's just the people I know.)

That's not to mention their Nintendo-like knack for intentionally messing up aspects of early models so that there are easy & obvious things to add to the later refreshes to tempt not new customers but the same old customers to buy another version of the hardware they already have.

Or batteries the user cannot replace...

It's one reason I've always thought Al Gore was a hypocrite for going on about the environment while being on the board of a company that, however hip their image may be, seems intent on stuffing landfills full of last year's tech.

A portable device is for life, not for Christmas! :-)

1. Asgard
        Unhappy

@"stuffing landfills full of last year's tech."

You've just triggered a very old memory there. I remember long ago, Apple using landfills to prevent reducing their markup sales price on other hardware and in 1989 they used landfill to gain a tax write-off on their unsold inventory. For example,

(via wikipedia) "In 1989, Apple disposed of approximately 2,700 unsold Lisas in a guarded landfill in Logan, Utah, in order to receive a tax write-off on the unsold inventory" here's the direct link to the article.

i.e. http://www.americanheritage.com/articles/magazine/it/1999/1/1999_1_64.shtml

Thats not even close to green. It actually shows a considerable ruthless streak. They wouldn't even give the computers away. I remember at the time thinking what an incredible waste. They could have done so much good even giving them away to so many groups. Even universities and colleges would have taken them for experiments or even just component scrap. But no, Apple were determined to landfill the lot.

4. Ed Blackshaw Silver badge
    Boffin

The question really has to be why anyone would use n-hexane as a solvent

The toxic properties of n-hexane are well known, and pretty much any other similiar alkane solvent such as n-heptane or isohexane does not have the same toxicity.

1. Tom 35

why anyone would use n-hexane

Same reason the put anti-freeze in cough syrup and tooth paste... to save a few cents.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Suzhou

I've been to Suzhou, nice place. It's not far West of Shanghai, worth visiting Hangzhou too if you're there. Pretty relaxed cities, nice lakes in both.

It's not quite the smog-dwelled factory city that you may imagine, given there are cities that have a huge number of factories produce electronic goods. I was surprised to read that this happened in Suzhou. I suspect this production line is really somewhere out of the main city.

6. davenewman
    Flame

Make the directors breathe n-hexane

There would be fewer poisonings like this if the board of directors of Wintek and Apple were forced to share the suffering of the workers, rather than just being fined.

1. Alan Esworthy
      Pirate

Ventilation

Here's an intriguing thought: route the production ventilation system outflow through the managerial and executive offices of the factory. That just might have a nicely salutary effect.

7. F MacIllFhinnein
    Pint

China Daily

reports the People's Republic of China's Government view - and that view of Taiwan (aka the Republic of China) might just be a little less than impartial. I suggest taking news on Taiwan from that source with a reasonably-sized portion of salt, and washing it down with the icon.

1. Steve Evans

WHAT?!

Salt? With beer? Are you mad... You want an icon for tequila.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

China Daily

China Daily more often than not reports the PRChina government view, but there is the odd exposé that goes against the party line, things that are printed against government approval.

It could be the newspaper getting a bit of slack now and again, or it could be a cunning government plan to either promote or allow these slippages from the 'party line' to persuade the more intelligent residents of Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou that the papers aren't as biased as may appear.

Best hope is that the seperation of CCP and editors of newspapers widens as things progress towards the future. Mind you, when you take a look at our newspapers, would you wish the adherence to whatever party is in power by many editors be matched in China?

8. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

@Leo Davidson

Given anguished protests when Mozilla announced that their next Firefox wouldn't run on OS X 10.4, I think there are plenty of Apple customers who don't throw away their old thing when the new one comes along.

Or maybe they do but they sell it or donate it to someone else, and -those- are the disappointed Mozilla fans.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Contaminated phones...

I think it might be more dangerous than first though, bad eye sight and weedy muscles sounds like pretty much every apple fan boy I can think of!

And their leader...

Liver transplant? My arse!

1. Ascylto
      Big Brother

And ...

I'll bet you think yours is bigger than theirs as well.

Anonymous Twat!

10. opaque

What?

This has nothing to do with Apple or Nokia, it's the responsibility of the subcontractors.

I'm sure theres a thing in both companies terms with the subcontractors saying don't kill your staff.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like