back to article ARM strengthens low power hand, targets smart grid

As Intel moves into its heartland territory in smartphones, processor firm ARM is extending its reach in turn. With Intel's efforts to reduce power consumption dramatically in Atom as yet unproven, ARM hangs on to its power advantage, and is moving more aggressively into embedded wireless and the 'internet of things'. A future …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Welcome

"As Intel moves into (ARM's) heartland territory in smartphones"

"As Intel moves into (ARM's) heartland territory in smartphones"

Really?

Where?

They may be talking up their attempts, but unless I've missed it, they're not yet succeeding in any meaningful way.

The microcontroller market is new to ARM. ARM customers quite sensibly seem to be interested in a combination of cost and value, ARM offering what many OEMs consider "high value". From what I've seen, much of the microcontroller market cares about three things: price, price, and price. I wish ARM luck, but it may not be all that easy.

1. lpopman
      Thumb Up

titular titley bit

The uController core looks very interesting from an embedded point of view, as the Thumb instruction set is quite dense as it runs in 16-bit mode. Basically you save 2 bytes per opcode on average.

Compact code is a pre-requisite for embedded work, and Thumb was designed exactly for this task.

2. EmperorFromage
    Thumb Up

Cortex-M next year ? Looks like it is already here.

The STM32 primers seems like very neat little toys.

http://www.stm32circle.com/resources/stm32primer2.php

I am tempted to buy one, as the cost is very reasonable, and they make for a fun hand held gaming platform if nothing else.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like