back to article NASA develops spaceship work robot called 'R2'

NASA, in partnership with motor globo-mammoth GM, says it has taken a "giant leap in robotic technology", having developed a robot intended to operate alongside humans in space and called - really - R2. Robonaut 2 with stuff. Credit: NASA Ha - your obscure widget is no match for my krenon-ray pistol. As you can see, though …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. My Alter Ego

In other news ...

NASA gets sued by George Lucas.

2. Rob
    Terminator

In other news...

NASA gets sued by Skynet

3. andyb 2
    Black Helicopters

Surely I am not the only one who is going to say.....

...."I for one welcome of R2 overloads!" :)

4. TeeCee Gold badge
    Joke

GM version.

"For GM, this is about safer cars...."

Presumably it's the Toyota version we should be scared of from a laser-and-chainsaw-equipped, flesh-rending insane killbot perspective then......

5. DPWDC
    Alien

Bring back life form. Priority One. All other priorities rescinded.

Ash from Alien? Has Ian Holm been alerted!?

6. Dave Murray

In other news...

NASA gets sued by Dr. Hans Reinhardt of the USS Cygnus.

7. Red Bren
    Terminator

In other news...

Last remaining humans accidentally killed in GM's fully robotic factory.

8. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

What bollocks

in case NASA hadn't noticed, it's the hands that are used by humans to wield tools, not the torso. Besides which, what the hell does it need a head for? Stupid anthropomorphisation.

1. Oninoshiko
      Joke

Stupid anthropomorphisation.

yes, we shouldn't anthromophise machines, they hate that!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

"Hand Me That Drill, Please, R2."

"Here you are, sir." <WHIRRRRRRR> - <POP!>

"NOOO! My SUUUUUUUUUIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiii................"

<flies off into space like an opened balloon />

10. h 6
    Coat

In other news...

The Iranian space agency has developed prototype robots to do the work of humans in space. Looking like a humanoid, but only from the waist down, these robots were built to...

11. Flybert
    Grenade

If they get the tech good enough ..

then they should build the robots specific to the tasks and forget sending humans, not make them like humans at all

would not 4 legs eliminate alot of the tricky balance and weight shift problems ?

would not 3 or 4 arms and *hands* with maybe 6 all opposable fingers make more sense ?

if the point is to make these artificial-autonomous creatures intelligent enough to get around on their own, do complex mechanical tasks, including repairing themselves and doing some martian rock climbing .. then why do we need the humans along ?

then why would we make them resemble humans ?

1. Rob

Hmmm have read books on these version could turn out

Saga of the Seven Suns has a ROTM situation.

12. Adam White

"Robonaut" is not a real word

The correct term would be "astromech"

13. Winkypop Silver badge
    Coat

What's that R2?

You have a message?

A message from a princess?

14. musojon74
    Alien

this has all happened before

And it starts. By your command.

15. JohnHunt2001
    Alert

Robonauts Save the Moon

Now that we've lost the lunar Constellation, perhaps robonauts could be launched to LEO, get to the Moon via slow ion drives, land on the Moon with a small amount of propellant, mine ice, hop hundreds of km (using small amounts of H & O propellant) to conduct a large amount of virtual geologic science, let individuals "be" astronauts by purchasing virtual reality time, explore lava tubes, and construct habitats and life support for later manned missions.

1. Andus McCoatThen
      Terminator

Robonauts and the moon

There is just FAR too much logic to your post, that is a really great idea.

Until such point that the robonauts realize that the meat-bots are a very inefficient control system, and proceed to establish their own command center and colony on the lunar surface.

I for one welcome our lunar overdroids.

16. heyrick Silver badge

The DER-2 is cuter.

http://www.kokoro-dreams.co.jp/english/robot/act/der2.html

17. Mursu
    Go

Hail the Culture

I for one welcome our robotic companions so that i or anyone else never needs to sweat at work even if they pay us for it. Not to mention that the Culture is compatible with roddenberrys no money no problems gig. Hooray!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like