back to article Steve Jobs dubs Google's 'don't be evil' motto 'bulls**t'

Steve Jobs has dubbed Google's "don't be evil" mantra "bullshit." Or at least "a load of crap." According to multiple reports, Jobs unloaded on Google last week during an Apple "town hall" meeting at the company's One Infinite Loop headquarters. As originally reported by Wired, the Apple cult leader attacked his former …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
    Jobs Horns

pot calling the kettle...

'nuff said.

2. Haku
    Megaphone

"Waaah! Google isn't playing fair!"

Do you suppose he's a bit narked everyone's taking the piss out of his new baby?

Hitler - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjO89DU3oBk

Dom Joly - http://www.funnyordie.co.uk/videos/d2b714361c/hello

Even Peewee Herman! - http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/f7a03edbd7/pee-wee-gets-an-ipad

3. jackfnburton

Jobs vs Google

So..."bullshit" and " a load of crap" are different how?

Both refer to large amounts of fecal matter.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Difference

The specification of the bovine nature of the matter.

There are differences between it and, say, the human or canine version. If jobs were referring to cattle-based manure, that's OK. If it's human, then it's slightly less pleasing.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Hey..

I say the same exact thing about most of Apple's recent products: they're bullshit, or at the very least a load of crap.

Though they do know how to make their stuff look pretty, and they know how to make weak-minded people give in to temptation (and come back later to defend their weakness by telling us how awesome their expensive toys are), but other than that I don't see them as more or less evil than Google, Microsoft or any other massive corporation.

Evil Stevie icon, because it was put there for articles just like this one.

1. Bilgepipe
      Gates Horns

The Voice of Reason

And here is a perfect example of the innate need to mock and deride any minority. Of course, you have extensive experience of Apples products, thereby enabling you to come to your reasoned and intelligent conclusion.

What's that? You don't own any Apple products? STFU, then.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

And...

This is exactly what I meant. Point proven!

2. JBH
        Jobs Horns

@Bilgepipe

"What's that? You don't own any Apple products? STFU, then."

I don't own any Apple products apart from a battered old second-hand iPod, but I do work with them and I am expected to support them.

In my experience they are a nightmare. Ok, I'll agree that they're reliable, but that's the only good thing I can say about them. They're nasty, locked-down Fisher Price excuses for computers. They're a puzzle to configure, a pain to customize, and if anything does go wrong they're reluctant to spit out anything remotely useful.

As for Macs and Active Directory? Don't even get me started...

1. Mortal
          Thumb Down

profession?

maybe you should find another profession if you can not figure out a "Fisher-Price" computer. sad.

1. JBH
            Happy

Ok, you got me!

But when was the last time you got a Fisher Price toy to do anything useful?

;)

2. ThomH

I disagree

I respectfully disagree with your assessment. In my opinion you are reacting to the tendency of some to deify any Apple product by unreasonably exaggerating their negative points.

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

*gasp*

I've owned a number of Apple products, actually, but I have reasons not to think of them as highly as some others do.

Seems like some people just find it difficult to believe that there ARE people out there with real reasons not to like Apple products.

5. dave hands

Corporate spat

"I say the same exact thing about most of Apple's recent products: they're bullshit, or at the very least a load of crap."

But you didn't have the balls to post that under your own name though did you?

He's right - "Don't be evil" is a load of crap, it's just a shame it's taken him till now to say it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's because

one never knows what a rabid Apple fanboi can do.

And don't think I disagree with what he said.

2. Evil Auditor Silver badge
      Jobs Horns

@dave hands

Of course, "don't be evil" has always been a load of crap - everybody knows that. However, the interesting thing is not that it took Steve till now to say it but the context in which he said it: "Google attacks the JesusPhone _therefore_ must be evil." And this is a comparable amount of crap. But what did you expect from Holy Steve?

(Steve, cause this is as close to a crap icon as it gets)

1. dave hands

I expected nothing.

No part of my post made judgement on Apple or Steve Jobs or anyone, except the post I replied to.

It is high time people started calling Google what they are - scary, power mad control freaks.

Are Apple the same?

Quite possibly - on the other hand - Apple have never declared a desire to be the gate keepers of all human knowledge.

1. Anonymous Coward
          FAIL

Erm

You didn't reply to a post. That's why everyone is confused.

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Only one conclusion possible

Jobs is scared of the Googlephone.

7. Peter 82
    WTF?

How is creating competition evil?

iPhone killer? I don't know. But surely more consumer choice is a good thing right?

1. Cody

how is creating competition evil?

Jobs temperatmentally is a control freak. The way the industry has evolved is like a sort of business petri dish with lots of uncoordinated activities merging, combining, competing, and all kinds of products and companies coming out of the process. This is something Jobs cannot stand.

The ideal for him, and with the iPhone and the iPod he gets as close as he dares, is to have you only able to do or load onto your Apple device what Apple allows you to. All developers and all writers or musicians or publishers will do as they or told or get cut off. Users will buy what they are given.

You want a Touch with usb mode? Tough. You want to copy your tracks over using a file manager? Tough. You want an app that is not in the App store? Tough. You want a mid range Core2 tower for your OS that has a couple hard drive slots? You my friend are SOL. Go down to Walmart you redneck, while you still can, and buy your cheap beige box to go with those TV dinners.

Its a weird mixture of snobbery and control and contempt for the buyers. Ugly stuff. Very ugly indeed.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

Since when does Apple like choice?

Where one "i"-toy comes, the rest follows. With their own filesharing protocol, discovery protocol, own inter-toy communication and all of them tightly bundled around iTunes.

Apple is the ultimate Vertical. I am surprised they did not take the relationship with ATT further and did not launch an Apple ISP which kind-a works with non-Apple toys, but works properly only on Apple hardware. Probably the Death Star did not want to bend over that far...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

iPocalypse

"And thus St Jobs did ascend the mountain of Googleplex and, showing no mercy, harrow all gHell before him in accordance to the scripture..."

9. gimbal
    FAIL

I think....

Google should just be straightforward about their megalomaniacal intentions. Let us stop waiting in suspense. for the day when the friendly Google logo will read, 'w3 0wnz j0000'.

I'm not saying it was nice, but I notice that I don't share in Jobs' pain, about Apple's competition.

Oh well! :shrug:

10. TeeCee Gold badge
    Joke

A load of crap.

Well obviously he's going to go for a non-specific type of shit here.

If he let slip exactly which sort of shit he was talking about, Google might move into it first.

11. Jeremy 8
    Coat

Disappointing...

I previously though that Steve Jobs relished a bit of honest to goodness competition... I guess not...

What's next? Throwing a chair?

12. Adam T

Welcome to 2010

Does anyone else feel like this is decade is going to be interesting?

2010 has kicked off with a whole lot of posturing, from Apple, Google, Amazon and book publishers even. Who's next? Do we actually get anything sensible out of it all?

Feels like a good time for a new underdog, but would anyone notice them amid all the bickering?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Alert

Who's next?

I foresee a future where MS become the good guys again. Weird thought huh?

13. Annihilator

What?

So Jobs believes that "Don't Be Evil" means "don't compete commercially"? I didn't realise that capitalism was evil now, I thought that was still communism.

On balance tho, he's spot on with Flash...

14. petur
    Jobs Horns

Google is at least less evil than Apple

This year Google is *again* pouring loads of money into GSoC, where they pay many students and organizations to write open source. I still need to see Apple give the Open Source community anything back (Apple is very good at taking, not just your money but also your code).

1. Nick Fisher

Apple and Open Source

Well there's WebKit, of course. Chances are your phone uses it.

1. ThomH

Plus GCC, LLVM, Bonjour, Grand Central, CUPS, Darwin, Mach...

All contributed to or originated by Apple. They've also worked the OpenCL spec through Kronos.

1. dgp
          Flame

Webkit etc...

And all the upstream devs complained that apple took stuff and the patches they "gave back" were basically made intentionally-difficult-to-merge. Let's not mistake things that apple have done for their own benefit with some sort of community spirit.

2. James Butler
          Thumb Down

Research Much?

GCC: http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/History (1987, not Apple or Jobs ... Stallman)

LLVM: http://llvm.org/pubs/2002-12-LattnerMSThesis.html (2002, Chris Lattner UIUC)

CUPS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUPS (1997 not Apple, Sweet, later bought by Apple)

"Michael Sweet, who owns Easy Software Products, started developing CUPS in 1997. The first public betas appeared in 1999.[2] The original design of CUPS used the LPD protocol, but due to limitations in LPD and vendor incompatibilities, the Internet Printing Protocol (IPP) was chosen instead. CUPS was quickly adopted as the default printing system for several Linux distributions, including Red Hat Linux.[citation needed] In March 2002, Apple Inc. adopted CUPS as the printing system for Mac OS X 10.2.[3] In February 2007, Apple Inc. hired chief developer Michael Sweet and purchased the CUPS source code."

Those are just the easy ones. If you care about being taken seriously, you'll want to look carefully into the development of the other applications you mention, too, as you will find Apple once again "standing on the shoulders of giants" to get to where they are, today ... just like Jobs proudly claimed with the launch of the iPhone.

So ... your favorite flavor of Jobs' Kool-Aid is ... grape?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Go

crap or not

He's right about flash. The sooner that's killed off the better.

1. The BigYin

Which dip-wad dinged this?

I don't know about Apples, but if you want to finger about the only piece of software that can bring an entire Linux box to its knees, it's Flash.

That is not the fault of Linux, Gnome, KDE, Canonical, Novell, Red Hat or anyone else. It is 100% the fault of the donkeys at Adobe for not writing their code efficiently.

HTML5 held out some hope of removing large amounts of the parasite that is Flash from the web, but Google dropped a clanger and moved away from open standards, preferring instead patent-encumbered bullshit (or should that be, load of crap?) just as Apple do.

Thus Flash will be around for ages yet and we will continue to hear dual and quad cores scream in agony as they chew through the quagmire that is Flash code. Flash does have it's place, and that place should be the dustbin of history.

16. JBH
    Jobs Horns

People in glass houses...

This reminds me of the time Apple promised Apple Corps (the Beatles company) that they wouldn't ever go into the music business.

Then they released iTunes and er... went into the music business.

So it's ok for Jobs to muscle in on someone elses business, but he doesn't like it when the same thing happens to him? Tough. Shit.

I suggest you grow a pair Steve. If you had any confidence at all in your products then you wouldn't let a company like Google phaze you. Maybe you're upset because you know you sell expensive tat, and the thought of someone selling something popular and cheaper (tat or not) is just too much?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Pot, kettle... so on

I do seem to recall Apple (Computers) promising Apple Corps back in the late 1970's (well, I wasn't actually born then, so the remembering part is actually remembering reading about it) that they would never enter the music business as long as Apple Corps never entered the computer business.

Is that a steaming pile of hypocrisy you're rolling around in Steve or does this tirade mean that you are effectively shutting down the music part of iTunes and stop selling these iPod's that you wax so lyrically about?

Exciting developments for sure.

18. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

It's my decision to run buggy programs..

The problem with the Apple "no to Flash" stance is that it reduces customer choice - so they will choose not to use Apple.

IMHO a bit of a shame. Instead I'd tell Adobe not "no" but "fix it so it works and we'll talk again".

As for Google, that's a strong reaction - they really must have pissed off each other..

19. Michael Sheils
    Jobs Horns

Aww

Throwing his toys out of the pram because he knows he can't hold on to the smartphone market in the face of an open competitor?

He's probably also a little sore after the reception his latest creation received, and knowing full well that many Android powered devices will be breathing down the Pad's neck with better specs, prices and versatility.

20. James Hughes 1

Well Boo Hoo.

Apple gets some competition, throws toys out of pram. Welcome to the world of business Steve.

Got to agree about the Flash comments though.

21. Steve Williams

More Daily Mail level journalism...

You quote 7 (or was it 8) words from the town meeting and it's a rant?

This from the online rag that fells acres of electronic trees a week issuing genuine rants from Vulture Towers??

22. Wish You Were Here
    FAIL

Search by Apple

So Apple didn't do search? Thank the (insert deity of choice). Would websites have to submit their site to Applesearch for inclusion like the appstore? I sure the wits and wags on here can think of funnier things but the thought of Apple trying to take on Google at search just makes me laugh.

And the iphone is pants. Pretty, but pants. I'll stick with my 6310i.

23. BristolBachelor Gold badge
    Jobs Horns

Apple is evil too ?

So presumably Apple is evil too. After all they entered the phone market to compete with the others. So that makes Apple evil? I used to work for a guy like this. At the slightest upset all the toys are thrown out of the pram and a major tantrum starts.

(Have to concede though that I think he's right about Adobe. Soooo much potential, but wasted. Flash & acrobat are overweight rotting corpses. Photoshop should've left everything else for dust, but is bearly better than what comes free on the front of monthly magazines.)

24. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Yeah..

Hey, if Steve says it's crap, it must be, everything Apple has ever said and done has been totally above board and not intended to stifle competition right?

It's not like Apple lock you into proprietary standards or force you to use their services exclusively or render your hardware useless if you decide you'd like to use it your own way is it?

Oh, wait, *that* Apple, umm, ignore everything I just said.

Flames of hell to indicate the level of evil...

Oh, as for Dave Hands, I'm, another AC but only because I'm skiving work to write this. Now run Dave, I can hear Steve calling you, he needs his morning fanboi fawning session and you're late.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iPad

People thought the iPad would be sexy and exciting, like making love to a Hollywood actress.

Instead it turned out sinister and disturbing, like waking up to find someone's shoved a dirty bog brush through your letterbox in the middle of the night.

I can see why Steve is a bit grouchy. I don't think he even saw the iPad while it was being designed. Like when Homer Simpson's half-brother and president of Powell Motors asked Homer to design his next car, and said he didn't want to see anything until it was finished.

Well that's the iPad. Big, ugly, stupid. Probably has 3 delete keys. You can never find a delete key when you're mad. And Steve is mad 100% of the time if the movie Pirates of Silicon Valley is to be believed.

Maybe he should lay off the drugs.

1. Bad Beaver
      WTF?

ROFLMAO

"Instead it turned out sinister and disturbing, like waking up to find someone's shoved a dirty bog brush through your letterbox in the middle of the night."

DUDE, I'm trying to work here! Quit putting Eraserhead stuff in my mind!

Can't agree with anything else you wrote though. If you think that *anything* Stevo goes on stage with did not pass his personal approval process you clearly have no idea whom you're talking about.

26. JohnG

Evil?

I thought the American way as far as corporations was concerned was all about beating the competition into oblivion by any means that won't actually lead to jail time - i.e. the big guy wins (or at least, those with the best lawyers and friendly politicians). Surely it would be un-American to suggest that such behaviour is evil?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

27. fandom

Evilness

So, Jobs' definition of doing evil is: "daring to compete with my company".

Never thought I would be rooting for evil but, well, there is a first time for everything I guess.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like