back to article Zoo man uses virtualisation to tame his server herd

It’s not every day you get to look under the bonnet of somebody else’s projects, but today you can. Reg reader, Phil Morris from Chester Zoo, joined us in the studio last week to talk about how he virtualised a raft of servers at his data center in the North West of England. And if you’re looking for some insight before you …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. BlueGreen

This would be so interesting

except that it's a webcast. I don't do bandwidth-hogging webcasts viewed through plugins with well known security problems. If the info's there, I'll take it in text.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Pint

"Bandwidth" is still a consideration?

This _is_ 2010...

1. Trevor Pott o_O Gold badge

"Bandwidth" is still a consideration?

It is when your primary mode of nomming the morning news is through an RDP session...

2. BlueGreen

@Destroy All Monsters

Maybe it matters if you have a mobile browser (phone, wireless dongle etc) which typically has limited monthly capacity.

Or trying to get info from within another country with restrictive govt policies, where smaller is easier to smuggle.

Or live in an undeveloped country that has limited bandwidth (not everyone lives in the west).

Or still use dialup, like our jake (an he's not unique IME).

Or feel that text + static pics can often put things over better.

Or feel that just because there's an apparently abundant resource doesn't mean we are required to burn it as fast as possible.

If none of that's an issue, there's security to consider.

3. What can possibly go wrong

You'd be an American then?

Just a guess.

Out here in much of the Rest of World, we have to pay for our bandwidth usage by the gigabyte, or with capped plans.

2. A B 3

I don't agree

Dial- up is under 10%. Audio files are very small. If your budget is that slim you'll just have to go without.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hold on Just Building my Cluster

of Virtual Servers to download and play the bandwidth hogging webcast :)

Virtualization is not hard, it is just a bit daft to go with something generic, it paints a great big bull's eye on your servers, one point of compromise and you get quite a lot of serving power, it is a tempting target for - who are we blaming nowadays - oh yes, foreign governments.

4. Roger Greenwood
    Big Brother

Not quite free

From the T&C:-

"By downloading any of the papers in this library, or by registering for any of the live or on-demand events, you agree that your supplied personal details will be passed on to the sponsor of the paper or the event, and that this organisation may contact you in the future with further information about their products and services. You additionally agree that The Register may contact you regarding related products and services. You can request a stop to such communications at any time. In this instance the sponsor is Microsoft."

5. Mike Shepherd
    Thumb Down

Someone...

...should tell The Register that most of us worry about virtualisation like we worry what time the moon rises in Tasmania.

6. JimboJones
    FAIL

Hmmmm......

Was quite interesting. However, the "I was looking for a solution so I hired a load of consulants and they solved it for me" is a bit lame.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like