back to article Adobe fixes critical Shockwave bugs with neanderthal patch

The critical patches for Adobe Systems software keep coming. This time, they fix serious security bugs in the company's Shockwave Player. Adobe on Wednesday pushed out updates for Shockwave 11.5.2.602 and earlier on Windows and Mac operating systems. The patches fix multiple integer overflow and buffer overflow flaws that can …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Another awful security fix from Adobe!

http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb10-01.html

After trying this I ended up reinstalling the whole CS4 package!!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

uninstall?? On the Mac??

How do you uninstall Shockwave on Mac OS X?

3. Al Jones

Just uninstall it

What's shockwave used for these days anyway? Just uninstall the old version, and don't bother installing the new version!

4. Dan 55 Silver badge
    FAIL

Guess what you have to do to uninstall it?

Download a seperate uninstaller from...

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/alternates/#sp

/facepalm

How come practically every other company has auto updates sorted out but Adobe finds it too hard?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Shockwave huh!

what is it gud fuh? Absolutely...nuthin? How would you miss it?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Adobe never fails to disappoint

With software awfulness second only to MS, Adobe has been frustrating users for two decades now. Like MS, its only claim to fame was being first in line with photoshop and .pdf and no anti-trust regulations being in place to stop them from out-marketing (taking over and burying) everyone else. It's a pity that marketing aggression doesn't correlate with software competence.

7. LenH

Install Over the Top of Old?

Just updated without removing the old codebase and it installed just fine. Does not removing the old code cause issues or leave the vulnerability there?

8. David Austin

Title

In all serious, perhaps Microsoft should work with some of the bigger vendors (Acrobat, Flash, Java, et all) to get them intergrated into Windows updates, at least on a notify level.Sure it would do a lot for mom and pop security, and by proxy, all of us....

9. david 12 Silver badge

Cross platform

The problem with Adobe is their cross-platform background. They not only can't, they also won't. That is, can't/won't make install/uninstall (and automation) work correctly on MS Windows. Basically, nothing platform-specific gets any attention from them.

10. Wind Farmer

Tried downloading Shockwave on IE8 64-bit / WIN7 Ultimate

and got redirected to a rather odd (stupid) place http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/512/cpsid_51273.html which covers "Installing Shockwave 11.5 in Max OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)"

11. Ken Hagan Gold badge
    Troll

Reboot?

So the previous version had its filthy mitts on core OS files? And with a track record like that they still expect me to install the next version?

Actually, I'm just trolling. I don't have Adobe crap on my system at all, so I couldn't care less what pain they inflict on the suckers who insist that they need schlock-flash-crobat or else "most of the web doesn't work". (Word to the wise: you don't.)

12. This post has been deleted by its author

13. Barry Lane 1
    FAIL

Hopeless Adobe

For a company that is really on the ball in the way it hikes prices for its repackaged products... sorry, I meant "new products", it sure doesn't know how to write its updates. The new Acrobat 8.2 updater for the Mac, and for all I know or care, for the PC too, can't see its way past version 8.17, the previous update.

To install the 8.2 update one has to uninstall Acrobat and begin again from v. 8.0. Now wtf is that all about? Did 8.17 introduce something rotten that has to be got rid of by ditching the original installation in its entirety, or is Adobe employing monkeys who aren't terribly clever when it comes to this kind of thing?

I think we should be told.

14. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Isn't Shockwave laegacy?

And I think Adobe bought these tools, didn't invent 'em.

I don't know if I have it or what it's for.

And the litcence on their free stuff says you can use it on 1 computer, which seems to say if you have more than 1 computer then you have a problem.

15. BristolBachelor Gold badge
    Flame

Better idea

Uninstall shockwave & flash from all websites.

Uninstall shockwave & flash from all computers.

Live in peace and harmony :)

16. Moyra J. Bligh
    Alert

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

And yet *ANOTHER* good reason never to install anything from Adobe on your systems

17. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

There are days...

...when I seriously miss Aldus Photostyler, Macromedia Corporation, and every other corporation Adobe has swallowed.

Most of Adobe's products are 60% of a great thing. The rest is compounded by a miserable patch process, different for almost every product, with a fifty-fifty chance of breaking something during the patch or making things worse. Adobe has only gotten into semi-unified patching as of CS3, and it's still clunky. We're required to use Flash and Shockwave because we're an educational institution and web-based educational software often uses both --and Adobe's support for enterprise-level patching is non-existent. (i.e., hope they release your patch in an .MSI you can deploy via GPO, otherwise you're stuck).

The day when we can tell Adobe that the world no longer needs Shockwave or Flash because someone else does it better will be a good day indeed.

18. James Rome
    Thumb Down

The Acrobat update failed too

Both the automatic and manual updates for Acrobat and acrobat Reader failed on all of my Macs and PCs. Adobe support is clueless. This is pathetic.

19. Richard Porter
    FAIL

Re. There are days...

Framemaker / Framebuilder used to be a good product before Adobe got its hands on it. All they're interested in is selling upgrades with more and more features you never use.

This topic is closed for new posts.