back to article Garmin adds satellite imaging to satnavs

Getting stuck down one-way country paths because that's where your satnav told you to go should soon become a thing of the past, because Garmin plans to add bird’s eye view satellite images to selected models. Garmin_birds_eye_01 Garmin's BirdsEye images should make navigation easier The firm’s BirdsEye Satellite Imagery …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Neur0mancer
    Alert

Hmmm

"But it doesn't provide the turn-by-turn spoken guidance that the Garmin satnavs will offer."

Not yet anyway.

2. Jonathan Richards 1
    Stop

Worrying development

It worries me slightly that the rural lanes will be littered with wrecks of vehicles driven by people who were engaged in aerial photointerpretation instead of looking out of the window.

Hey, how about Garmin and Google and Nintendo get together to do a virtual driving app! You could go sightseeing from the comfort of your armchair, no fuel burn, the Himalayan glaciers would renew themselves, [allegedly], you'd get to see all that wonderful scenery, and all the hideous tourist facilities that disfigure beautiful places would wither away!

STOP sign, because you can't read those from aerial imagery.

3. KenBW2

Google Maps...

"...doesn't provide the turn-by-turn spoken guidance that the Garmin satnavs will offer."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but erm - Android 1.6+ ?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like