back to article France floats Google music-and-movie tax

France should tax Google and other online US giants to subsidize local music and movie industries, a report commissioned by the country's culture ministry has recommended. A new proposal to tax internet advertising revenue was among the recommendations offered by the government-appointed panel. Money raised would finance the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

What?

"a report commissioned by the country's culture ministry has recommended."

France? Culture?

1. Richard 125
      Paris Hilton

Well...

Yes, France has culture. French culture in fact. That's how you can tell they're French and not Italian.

Paris, named after a place with plenty of something she could do with more of.

1. Anonymous Coward
        WTF?

Paris?

She needs more dogshit on her shoes?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Abroad

You have heard of Abroad, haven't you? It's a little different to here, so take a little time to get used to it.

There are many reasons to declare war on the French, but their lack of culture is definitely one of them.

3. LINCARD1000
      Troll

Yes, culture

Type your comment here — plain text only, no HTML

France has plenty of culture. They're well known for their cheese and yogurt aren't they?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

haha

i like that, seriously. way to go France, tax the bastards, they've got the moneys - they can pay!

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Same old crap, nothing new

No new ideas then.

Taxing doesn't work. It never does no matter what the purpose. Google will just go off shore like they have here where they're based in Ireland. If they aim the tax at the actual advertisers and therefore French companies who can't go off shire then I'm sure the companies will cry foul as it becomes anti competitive with other European companies.

Anti piracy efforts can't work as the pirates (like terrorists) are always looking for the weak points and law only come in after the fact and way too late (like extra security).

The new ideas needed would be to take advantage of the net and use it to it's best advantage in new business models that actually work for both the producer and consumer rather than the current method of benefiting just the producer (and even then it's the record company not the musician who is benefiting at the moment).

1. Steve X

Off shire?

I like that. Is it some new Plaid Cymru initiative to get companies to move out of the home counties?

4. Tony Paulazzo
    Pirate

# 2746354

So, let me get this straight they're going to disconnect the pirates (after fining them for copyright infringement) and tax advertising revenue to cover the losses of pirates who are no longer leeching off the creative elite (or cock su... er coke snorters as I like to call them).

5. criscros
    FAIL

Seriously?

Let me get this straight: the "music-and-movie" industries are failing because they REFUSE to adapt to current market needs, so internet companies must prop them up?

On what grounds? Because piracy happens on the internet? I'm sorry, but that is just stupid. Of all the retarded things the french gov't has come up with so far, this may just be the stupidest.

French people, do something about your government!!

6. Dr.S

Hmm

And how exactly does such a blanket tax tie in with measures to prevent illegal filesharing? Isn't it a solution that acknowledges it?

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Please bend over

We have to have some way to entertain ourselves.

8. Chad H.
    WTF?

I don't see the logic here

Piracy's a problem, so we're going to tax advertising?

I just don't get it.

9. Graham 25
    FAIL

Somehow

I doubt that if Google were a french company, that they would do this. Its envy, pure and simple and a crude attempt to make another company and country pay to avoid having their own citizens pay for their way of life.

It is in essence 'very French'.

10. John Tserkezis

Ahh,

Oh, I get it now, THIS is why people make fun of the French...

11. Dazed and Confused
    Grenade

Taxing French wine producers

All French wine producers should be taxed to help subsides my expensive habits.

(only one of which is drinking French wine)

So much for a free market.

Oh sorry, I forget the French don't believe in a free market

12. lord_farquaad
    Headmaster

independent

"a former independent label producer - Patrick Zelnick "

independent has if he had never been French First Lady (Carla Brun-Sarkozy) producer. Although her producer he has been.

13. Mike Kamermans
    FAIL

what anti-piracy efforts?

" It recommended that France should rally other European nations to support its anti-piracy efforts."

I'm sorry, what anti-piracy efforts? Taxation isn't punishment, it's taxation. And in this case saying where the money goes means setting up an income dependency for those who most likely don't even want to earn money that way.

I'd love to support anti-piracy efforts, but then first come up with some, instead of with a tea party.

1. pedrodude
      FAIL

Added value?

Second this post.

If you're going to consider piracy a crime, then by all means set-up punitive measures that discourage the practice. But don't punish internet companies to prop up victims of the crime. What did the internet companies do to deserve this?

And anyway, taxation isn't supposed to be financing restitution for victims, it's supposed to fund public projects where the government adds value. How exactly is the french government really adding value here? It's not really preventing the crime by addressing the causes (an industry that won't adapt), it's just dreaming up more draconian punishments that are a waste of time and money.

14. M7S
    Big Brother

"Approved sites"

Thats not even one step removed from the days when, for example in the UK, the state censored plays which had to be approved by the Lord Chancellor. I beleive certain regimes have penalties for "unapproved songs". I can imagine that something politically sarcastic about a current leader might suddenly lead to the artist concerned no longer being officially accesible, s/he might still get the cult/underground "airplay" but there's not a lot of income with that to pay the bills, mortgage etc

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Pete65

Errr, yes. French culture. Quite famous. Especially for design, art, literature, poetry, clothing and food.

I hope you're from Italy or somewhere.

However, I suspect you're British in which case quite a large proportion of our culture is derived from the French.

Worse, you could be American, in which case your comment is hilarious.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sure... we should tax...

Only makes sense to tax for products and services provided in a geographical area. Nothing wrong with that. It should hit everyone. The thing is that I'm assuming most local advertising services and others already pay TAX to the government for this. The problem is all the outside area companies that don't.

So the plan sounds nice until you get to this bit right over here:

It recommended that France should rally other European nations to support its anti-piracy efforts.

Erm... go rally your own people ffs.... Leave the rest of us out of your Napoleonic schemes of ruling that bit of dirt called France.

17. This post has been deleted by its author

18. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Dark Ages

Sounds good. Tax all technology out of France and send them back to the dark ages. Works for me. What next, Madame Guillotine?

@criscros: Succintly put.

19. Sam Therapy
    Paris Hilton

@ AC - Abroad

Yer last para... typo, surely.

Paris because she makes as much sense as yer last para.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like