back to article Google adds automatic captions to YouTube

Google is adding new technology to YouTube that can automatically add text captions to videos using speech recognition. The website has allowed users to manually add captions to videos for about a year now, but the process requires the author to pen a full transcription of their content and time it properly to the on-screen …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@language

And how is it going to handle the retarded language that they all typically use?

If they have made something that translates that, then put me down for 10.

2. Cliff

Genius!

Of course, knowing how bad voice recognition is even once my computer is 'trained', and how bad automatic translation a la babelfish is, this is going to be a great game! The only way we could make it more fun would be to introduce OCR on handwriting.

I think it's a noble idea, and cool/cute technology, but I have a hunch it'll be so imprecise it'll be a whole web meme spotting translations

3. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

All the better ...

... to profile you with.

4. Graham Marsden
    Coat

So...

... what effect will this have on Downfall spoofs...?

5. Sailfish
    FAIL

This sucks!

How dumb is it to think that forcing content-obscuring ads on the viewer is a wise business model?

6. Alastair 7

This could almost be scary

If Google transcribes YouTube videos, allows authors to correct the submission and- most importantly- allows it to learn from this, they could end up with an insanely powerful transcription engine. And everyone will have done the work for them...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Yes indeed we is will be ours

My Hovercraft is full of Eels - direct me please to a nice closset for you me bouncy bouncy. I wish to pay my star fish.

8. John Tserkezis
    Thumb Down

Oh wonderful.

Now they can automate ad generation instead of manually entering everything in.

How convenient.

9. Mike Flugennock
    Thumb Down

oh, fan-frickin-tastic...

...so, how much more real estate will this gobble up from my videos on top of the goddamn' pop-up ads? It's already a big enough pain in the ass remembering where to click to turn the friggin' annotations off. Those goddamn' things are nothing but a big, fat annoyance. I've reached the point where, if it's something I really _really_need_ to see, I just copy the video URL, and use KeepVid or ClipNabber to download the video as an mpeg4 so I can watch it in peace without having to stab at a button to turn off the annotations or get rid of a friggin' ad.

Fargin' bastidges. I'm about _this_close_ to ditching YouTube for LiveLeak, or Viddler. Hell, I've already got accounts set up on both of them. I'm leaning towards LiveLeak -- even though their system of posting is a bit confusing -- because so far, I haven't seen that much in the way of pop-ups. Viddler, unfortunately, on top of the Google pop-ups, is also running "post-roll" commercials that disable the stop button. Assholes.

10. joe K 1

Transcription for content identification

This will make it easier for content providers to track illegal uploads of their content. If it works, it will open up a whole host of opportunities for a lot of people.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Noooooooooo!

DO NOT WANT!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like