back to article EU sweeps up dodgy ringtone companies

An EU investigation found that 70 per cent of the 554 ringtone sites examined were breaking the rules, resulting in 54 of them disappearing. The figures aren't quite as bad as they appear - the sweep was directed by national regulators who earmarked sites they suspected of breaking the EU rules on visible pricing and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The BigYin

They looked at airline tickets?

So why is it still so damned hard to find a fair price with no hidden charges?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If only...

They could get rid of those awful TV ads at night advertising a range of mobile services! At least if they advertise 'adult' services you'd think they'd use attractive girls not fugly ones!

I'd also point out this is on fiver, E4 and the like not some dodgy channels!

3. Edwin
    Thumb Up

There are worse scum

...the SMS subscription weasels.

I once followed through on a complaint to our local ASA-equivalent, and was extremely gratified that the company in question was told to behave.

That said, they are con artists through and through, selling animated images of maps as 'friend GPS locators' to unsuspecting kids.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

shurely shum mishtake

people even need to go looking for free ringtones? can't you just shove an mp3 of your favourite track on your phones SD card and call it quits?

5. That Awful Puppy
    Grenade

Good

Hanging's too good for the likes of them.

A grenade up their backside, though ...

6. TeeCee Gold badge

@The BigYin

Ah! That'll be because airlines make more money than ringtone sellers and can thus afford to bribe^H^H^H^H^Hlobby the legislature to cripple^H^H^H^H^H^Hmake entirely reasonable compromises to the rules as they apply to them.

7. Lars Silver badge
    Happy

Lets complain

but also remember that we need the EU to look into matters where one single government will not succeed.

My wish number 987 is to get rid of the increased volume of sound during commercials on the TV.

But that will never happen as I never demanded it, of course.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like