back to article Netlist goes virtual and dense with server memory

Netlist, a publicly traded company based in Irvine, California that was founded in 2000 and that you have probably never heard of, will probably make a big splash at the SC09 supercomputing trade show next week. Netlist, which makes memory modules on an OEM basis for various companies, said Wednesday that in December it will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Wasn't someone of the major players looking into this stuff?

I thought I saw something about either Hynix or Micron looking into similar tech a year back. Wonder what happened to that one...

As far as Cisco's pitch - well, if people employed competent software developers and sysadmins which wrote and deployed software so it could _SHARE_ boxes than there would have been no need for their kit.

It is a matter of choice - employ competent people or pay for an idiot which allocates 4G to a VM regardless does it need it or not...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Second thoughts...

On a second thought, reading what these guys have done gives me the distinct impression that the original DDR2/3 spec sucks bricks sidewise through a thin straw. A spec which "if followed" costs twice as much as if "worked around" - that is a classic case of something wrong. It almost feels like something drafted by the ITU or the 3GPP. That level of "wrongness..."

3. CoonDoggy

oh sure

it makes sense to rewrite nasty old code into something more maintainable, but maybe they company doesn't have any coders left, or maybe they'd rather just suffer with a known evil.

Personally, virt servers are cool for a number of things when absolute performance isn't a big factor.

4. tony trolle

history repeating ?

dos=high anyone.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

any one remember mainframes?

If they're trying to re-create a mainframe on a board, I think they're just about there.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like