back to article Ricoh launches camera with removable lenses, sensors

Ricoh has redefined the high-end compact camera, launching what it has claimed is the world’s smallest and lightest camera to sport an “interchangeable unit camera system”. Ricoh_GXR_01 Ricoh's GXR uses a slide-on interchangeable lens system The Ricoh GXR sees lenses attached to the main camera body using a slide-in mount …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Thumb Up

Once again, Ricoh is different...

and possibly on to something. I mean, the cost of sensors is really coming down (in the 10-12mpix category at least), and we all know about dust and dirt on the sensor...

It will probably be expensive, and possibly well executed. Could really give the Micro 4/3ds type cameras a run for their money as a "best in class" traveling SLR.

Pricing

DPReview reports in their hands-on preview:

• Body: £419

• VF-2 viewfinder: £219

• GF-1 flash: £239

• A12 50mm lens: £600

• S10 24-70mm lens: £330

The LCD's a nice one for sure, but that really is prohibitive body pricing for most - and the zoom option has a pretty average compact-class sensor behind it by the looks of things.

Hmm

The sensor-on-lens idea is Interesting idea but I'm not convinced it will catch on. The lenses will be more expensive for what you get than their SLR equivalents since they have the sensor, shutter etc on them. You also can't buy decent glass and upgrade the body later. I think it'll have a hard time competing with entry level DSLRs, especially those as small as a 1000D.

WTF?

Not different, stupid.

So, let me get this straight... if you want to buy a new lens for this camera you also have to buy a new sensor and image processor as well??? That's bonkers.

And those prices?!? Are they having a laugh? You can get an entry level SLR with a half decent kit lens and a 50mm prime off ebay and you end up with a much better, far more flexible piece of kit for less than this Ricoh body-only.

And why does the body cost FOUR HUNDRED AND TWENTY sniffs when it doesn't have a sensor, an image processor or a lens included?!?

Image processor

"And why does the body cost FOUR HUNDRED AND TWENTY sniffs when it doesn't have a sensor, an image processor or a lens included?!?"

Ah, but the body does include an image processor. Identical, in fact to the one in the lens modules. So you pay for the same thing twice... There is actually some logic in this, in helping ensure forwards compatibility: if new sensor technology generates radically differently formatted data, the communication channel can be kept consistent.

Still not convinced though.

Thumb Down

Lens costs will possibly kill it

Lets face it, a Zeiss 50mm f/1,4 will only cost you about £530 and that's possibly the most expensive DSLR 50mm lens you can get (aside from the Zeiss 50mm f/2,0 50mm which is just shyof a grand).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017