back to article Barnes & Noble whips out Nook e-reader

Details of Barnes and Noble's electronic reader hit the internet today ahead of the device's expected launch. barnes_and_noble_nook Nook: The Barnes and Noble e-reader Details of the electronic reader leaked onto the web today, and seemed to set tech writers drooling. The machine will be based on Android and features a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pyros
    Coat

...the name suggest something.

Think you can get pr0n on this? :D

My coat's the one with the dirty rag in the back pocket...

2. sandman
    Thumb Up

OK, call me shallow

Oooh, shiny and I think I want one. It's not as nice to look at as the Sony, but IF you can share (swap) books and they're cheaper than the real thing I would be very interested.

3. Dennis
    Paris Hilton

Nook-e meets Haynes

If it's a Nook-e reader then will technical manuals have to read like this example I found.

"As he stared at her ample bosom, he daydreamed of the dual Stromberg carburetors in his vintage Triumph Spitfire, highly functional yet pleasingly formed, perched prominently on top of the intake manifold, aching for experienced hands, the small knurled caps of the oil dampeners begging to be inspected and adjusted as described in chapter seven of the shop manual."

4. Blake St. Claire
    Paris Hilton

I'm going to by B&N's reader---

Because it's named Nook(ie)?

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha

You guys are too funny.

Snork.

I'll have some of what you're smoking.

5. Squits
    Thumb Up

If it lets me read Razzle

I want one.

6. William Boyle
    Thumb Up

Nook e-reader jokes

To significant other:

Dear, I'll be out for awhile. I'm going down to the corner for some Nook-e. :-)

7. batfastad
    Jobs Horns

I have a netbook, don't want another gadget

Ok fair enough let me buy some DRM-laden files and read them in some DRM-laden software... but please let me use my netbook!

I would demand that once I have bought a DRM hell ebook, they are mine to backup and use as often and whereever I like.

Everytime you open a title in the reader software it dials up and checks with your online account that you can access the title. Maybe it could let you open them "offline" 3 times before you then have to get them authorised online again.

That would be ok with me.

8. 4HiMarks
    Thumb Down

Still too expensive

I just don't see the appeal of these things, whether they come from Sony, Amazon, or B&N. For $200+ it should come with the complete contents of Project Guttenberg and a whole lot else besides. If I still have to pay $10 or so for the book, I can get a paperback for less. One that doesn't need batteries, I can read it at the beach without worrying about getting it wet or getting sand in it. It will fit in my coat pocket, etc., etc.

Epic fail.

9. Blake St. Claire

s/by/buy/, Re: I'm going to by B&N's reader---

ugh

10. Steven Knox
    FAIL

You lost me at...

"The price tag will be $260..."

Wake me when they start at $100 -- and it takes less time to flip the page than it does to read it.

11. Dick Emery
    Thumb Down

No text search

Still no text search and annotations? Fail.

12. UncleBob
    Big Brother

We know what you read last week...

One step closer to having a big brother who will serve you with pop up ads. What I'm waiting for is the brain implant that can simply transfer the book into my head along with the scent of the book for added realism!

I don't get these either and am not interested in owning one. I get it that it can hold lots of books that free up shelf space, but it's one more gadget to mange, keep charged, can break easily, and some crackhead will kill you for.

13. Juillen 1
    Welcome

Shiny!

Looks good, though at the price tag.. Still too steep compared to the good old dead tree format. If the prices of books were commensurately cheaper (i.e. half the price) then sure.. I'd make the money back over time. Lending is a good thing; I'll have to see how that works (though how one lends to a friend that doesnt' have one of these is a mystery).

As an aside, something screwy seems to be going on with the 'add a comment' login.. I just got someone else's email address on the email line.. Anyone else seen that?

14. D@v3

e-books as gifts

I have a friend who likes to buy people books as gifts (birthday/xmas whatever), I have a Sony PRSwhatever, can she buy me an ebook?

From what i have seen e-book purchases (especially DRM ridden ones) are purchased for use on the device that the user is registered to.

15. DRendar

@Blake St Claire

Ahh give him a break.

At least he used the correct 'too', 'it's' and 'you're' :-)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like