back to article Microsoft targets Google's mobile dream with Bing

Microsoft is building Bing with a view towards beating Google in an area its internet rival has highlighted as ripe for massive growth: mobile search. One of the chief architects behind Microsoft's deal to take over Yahoo!'s search has said Bing is being built to present results suited to mobile phones. Charles Songhurst, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Charles Manning
    FAIL

Take a crap idea and make it worse

All Bing's special features (30 sec pron downloads, visual search etc), require lots of bandwidth, CPU and pixels.

All the things that mobile does not provide.

2. OffBeatMammal
    Coat

Bing me up baby!

so I am in the US so get priority treatment in all things Bing but... their mobile client (WinMo of course, Blackberry and I guess others real soon) is actually pretty sweet.

For business search, maps (with traffic), movie times and weather it's actually pretty impressive and way better than using Google. The directions are less so - a text list that you have to manually advance is way less useful than real turn by turn (and no auto recalculate if you screw up) ... but I don't think the Google Mobile offering is any different there.

Google however kills the Bing Maps in the US in one way ... they have public transit directions for about 50 cities so far and more added fairly regularly.

Sadly that means I need to install both. ho hum. Mine's the one with a map in the pocket

3. g e
    FAIL

Oh dear here they go again

All I see recently is mobile phone makers bringing out Android handsets.

How do M$ expect to shoehorn Bing into those when Android links so seamlessly into Googleland (and it does it very well - my HTC Magic took my google login info first time I started it and everything Just Worked).

Even though Google wants to run the world as well, at least their stuff works in my experience.

4. Geoff Mackenzie

Google works great on my phone

I can't really see a way to improve significantly on it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like