back to article Rise in Northern Ireland violence highlights data failing

Police remain unable to access records on some of Northern Ireland's most notorious terrorist killers who now live on or travel to the British mainland, months after a deadline to link computer systems passed. The Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) has its own system for storing and accessing criminal records. In a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Correct Me If I'm Incorrect

but isn't this the Register campaigning for more joined up Government databases? Next you'll be wanting the PND to be UK wide when it goes live

2. Seán

What a surprise

Amazingly the english army police and secret police work together to collude with loyalist murderers and facilitate their racist criminal activities. The same uniformed thugs who rescued Michael Stone and feted him as a hero after his attack on a funeral with grenades now show the same standards when they protect the steroid addled dog lover adair.

These are the same people who for some reason can't manage to arrest members of the BNP but if you posses more than the acceptable amount of melanin it might take all weekend to get home from work.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

old fashioned

Given that the man likely told them he was 'Johhny Adair', and that was what prompted the successful google search and also taking into account that this man is not currently wanted for a particular crime, how exactly does this constitute a failure.

The police knew who they stopped, their system told them some of his criminal record (more than had he been polish or spanish? ), and they let him on his way.. that is the way law enforcement should be!!

4. Ally J
    Big Brother

They found the information on Google....

... therefore it's just the right place for all our medical records, isn't it? I'm looking forward to this triumph of technology being shouted from the rooftops by various party apparatchiks.

Google will now become the tool of choice for custody sergeants:

'Not the first time you've been taking photographs, is it, sir? Your name keeps cropping up. Care to explain why you've got such an interest in potential terrorist targets such as national parks?'

5. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

PSNI Analysis Centre responds ..... with AI Knock ?

"The Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) has its own system for storing and accessing criminal records." .... a walk in the park with a spook/tout/down and out.

" Rise in Northern Ireland violence highlights data failing" .... and a Lack of Effective Collusion/Cooperation/Intelligence and ITs Sharing, which can also be trumpeted as Leadership. And that might be an Endemic Systemic Problem as a result of a Damaged and Traumatised and Compromised Gene Pool.

And yes you may point out that Intelligence is supposedly defaulted to MI5 who are quite obviously not up to the Job of Creating and Building on Peace, hence the headlines.

Might I suggest their CyberIntelAIgent Security Operations Centre steps up to the Plate and Opens up a Special Unifying Operations Application. Stormont can rubber stamp it too and make a Program Investment in Order to Ensure ForeSight Transparency and Executive Administrative Input for Applications Output. Or the New Age Masters of the NIUniverse could even go IT alone and set up their own Tailor made Shadow Organisation and Virtual Cloud Office.

And who'd have thought of that from a bunch of eedjits who for decades were afeared and wouldn't even have thought of being seen together, let alone expressing and exchanging constructive words.

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Ere' he don't 'alf look like a bad'un?

Look 'im up on the Googles Sarge!

7. Ted Treen
    Pint

@Seán

"...the english army police and secret police work together to collude with loyalist murderers and facilitate their racist criminal activities..."

My word Sir; you do talk the most amazing load of bollocks.

However, I would always defend your right so to do.

8. ciaran
    Flame

@Ted Treen

""...the english army police and secret police work together to collude with loyalist murderers and facilitate their racist criminal activities..."

My word Sir; you do talk the most amazing load of bollocks."

While part of Sean's tirade may have been bollocks, I think there were proven connections between establishment and loyalist forces, and consequential cover-ups.

Says Wikipedia "According to a report released by the Irish government in 2006 , members of British security forces colluded with loyalist paramilitaries in a number of attacks during the troubles."

9. John 62
    Jobs Halo

This is why the Police should have iPhones

they could used Mobile Safari to do criminal record searches on the spot!

10. Alan 43

NI

The same is true for many NI government bodies, the Job Centre and Unemployment offices are separate as opposed to the single place on Uk mainland and separate from the UK mainland counterparts as is the DVLNI for car registrations and car road tax ( NI has different Number Plate format ) as to collussion the British Intelligence and Security Agencies had agents in ALL the paramilitaries and those agents committed crimes whilst undercover - very grey area!

11. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

he's still lucky to be alive

And not "accidentally" shot whilst under investigation for "being there".

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Ciaran

If you have to quote "facts" from Wikipedia you know your argument is on shaky ground.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Badgers

It's true Guvna

"...the english army police and secret police work together to collude with loyalist murderers and facilitate their racist criminal activities..."

I'm afraid there's too much evidence to discount this claim.

Do some research, learn something new today!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Alan 43

VERY tricky area. If you were an undercover agent in a paramilitary/terrorist criminal gang, how could you not 'involve' yourself in some pretty horrible goings-on without running the risk of being put to death in a manner that would have most of us gagging just thinking about it.

And would you want to know that you could be prosecuted at a later date?

As I said, VERY tricky area!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

The Facts of Police and Loyalist Collusion

Are irrefutable. This is why the RUC was disbanded and we now have the PSNI..... rotten to the core

Reports from the Irish Government, The Police Ombudsman (Nuala O'Loan) and Amnesty International are all quite easy to find. Reading a few weeks back on El Reg will also provide more incidents of the PSNI inability to protect sensitive data from Loyalist death squads. And this when the war was supposed to be over.

And I didn't get my facts from Wikipedia. I was there.

Will be intresting to see if EL REG reject this comment as well????

16. David Neil
    Grenade

@AC 17:49

The facts are that Sir John Stevens published a report on 17 April 2003, which detailed the collusion between the security forces and loyalist paramilitaries, although he did note it was neither widespread nor institutionlised.

17. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Belfast is AI Central Boom Town with Priceless Invisible Exports and Virtually Real Experts

There more Life in Northern Ireland and more Navigational Savvy than you have obviously never Imagined. But it is Real enough in Head Offices in Stormont. You don't suffer Mindless Terrorism with States Sponsorship without Learning how to Build Stealthy Effective Secure Parallel Governance Systems to Defeat the Enemy without .... and its Agencies from within.

Taking a Look at the much Bigger Picture, here, .... http://www.talkzimbabwe.com/news/117/ARTICLE/5376/2009-09-14.html ...... may confuse you at a higher level, but that is Progress and it waits for no such dumb animal as Man.

18. David 137

@Seán, Anonymous Coward and all the other cheerleaders for Irish terrorism

Every soldier on the streets had names, addresses, vehicle registrations and photographs of every local terrorist on their patch—and how many of them turned up dead at the hands of loyalist terrorists? Hardly any, and never any of the main players. In the six months I was in Londonderry (’90) only one terrorist was killed—and that at the hands of PIRA (briefings noted his disappearance one weekend and then he turned up two counties away in a binbag on the S. Armagh border; the saddest sight I have ever seen was driving past his house and seeing his white-haired old mother standing sobbing her heart out in front of her house, with not a neighbour caring to offer her comfort—they had been too busy breaking her windows and graffiti-ing her home).

But it’s always the same—all we ever hear are the piteous whinings of the terrorists and their supporters. At least 2,057 murders by republican terrorists and counting (http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/sutton/tables/Organisation_Summary.html), the vast majority of them civilians—the elderly, children, *infants*, women, *pregnant* women... and almost as many Catholics as loyalist terrorists. But it’s always Pat Finucane; Caroline Mooreland, the mother of three young children, tortured for three days by PIRA before being shot, does not merit mention apparently. Nor does Jean McConville. Nor Catherine Mahon. It’s always Bloody Sunday (13 demonstrators, one a member of the IRA youth wing, shot on an *illegal* demonstration); never Bloody ‘Thursday’—the Birmingham Pub bombing of November 21, 1974. 21 men and women murdered enjoying a pint in two pubs with no military, police or government connection. Never Bloody ‘Friday’—February 17, 1978, where 7 women and 5 men burned to death in an incendiary bombing of the La Mon House Hotel. Never Bloody ‘Monday’—January 5, 1976, where 10 civilians were machine-gunned to death at Kingsmills. Always the Birmingham Six—six republicans arrested on their way to a republican terrorist’s funeral; never the Guildford Five—Paul Craig (22), William Forsyth (18), Ann Hamilton (19), John Hunter (17) and Caroline Slater (17), killed in an IRA bomb in a pub, October 5, 1974.

19. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

@ David 137 and all the bin lid rattlers

I for one have never cheered to see anybody not return home.

My parents taught me that everybody was some mothers son/daughter and every death caused tears in some home, wherever that maybe.......

As I said. I was there

My reason for posting what I did was to maybe remind people of some of the mistakes which may have extended the conflict in the hope that maybe somebody would learn a lesson and stop Iraq and Afghanistan going the same way.

But I am afraid Governments never learn!

Epic fail.

20. David 137
    Thumb Up

@Anonymous Coward

You were there? So was I and hundreds of thousands of others, and in uniform. The mistake that needlessly extended the conflict was us not going in ruthlessly right at the start; if we had we would have prevented some of those 2,057 from being murdered by republican terrorists.

Never has a war been fought with one side showing as much gentility as the British in Ulster. Compare with the Boer War—when that war turned into an insurgency, we fought with the necessary ruthlessness... and in 15 months brought the Boers to their knees, and this in territory just shy of four times the size of the *entire* British Isles.

Collusion? We never even stopped a Giro cheque to known IRA terrorists.

Spare me your holier-than-thou attitude, AC: your only reason for posting is to try and make the British look bad—why else would you wilfully ignore the atrocities perpetrated repeatedly by republican terrorists? In NI, we were and are the Good Guys—we never killed an infant, we never killed a pregnant woman, we never planted a bomb in a pub or shopping centre.

21. Alan 43

from someone who lives in Northern Ireland

What Seán & Anonymous Coward fail to highlight is the likes of `Fifty Dead Men Walking` author Sean McGartland, an Irish Catholic in the British Army who infiltrated the IRA and posed and acted as an IRA terrorist - is that British State collusion with the IRA or is it intelligence gathering? Read the book, McGartland has distanced himself from the recent film. Only recently we have had a Catholic PSNI Officer shot dead by dissident Republicans and just last weekend another attacked in Derry / Londonderry and one shot last year whilst leaving his kids to school and another with an under cover car bomb - nothing whatsoever to do with collusion and everything to do with terrorism and intimidating, maiming and killing Police Officers, especially Catholic ones! Talk of `death squads and collusion` are based on part truth and part myth. A look at the University of Ulster CAIN website which deals with `The Troubles` and is maintained by faculty members of the University from both communites / traditions in NI show that the Provos and their ilk were responsible for 66% of all deaths in the Troubles killing about 2500, Loyalists killed about 1200 and the Security Services ( RUC, Army & Ulster Defence Regiment (locally raised and posted British Army Regiment) were responsible for killing about 300 people, mostly terrorists ) There were many tragedies along the way and the security services were not perfect but them kept the line between peace and outright civil war.

And just for the record the RUC was not disbanded, the official title deeds of the Northern Ireland Constabulary is the "Police Service of Northern Ireland incorporating the Royal Ulster Constabulary" and the RUC / all members were awarded the George Cross by HM Queen Elizabeth!

22. Seán

Yawn

The silly soldier, no doubt discharged for shooting himself in the foot, and his overfed cheerleader make very dull and uninformed points. Sad old talking points and juggled figures spouted for decades by idiots. I was particularly amused by the description of the genitalia , no gentility of the occupying army, almost as impressed as the amount of strategic control exerted by a sweaty little man in a tin hat.

Amazing that a man in such a position of knowledge and authority could make the false statement "In NI, we were and are the Good Guys—we never killed an infant, we never killed a pregnant woman, we never planted a bomb in a pub or shopping centre."

As chummy uses the term we to mean the entire apparatus of the english empire and leaves out the loyalists working in collusion with the police and secret service I too will stick with just those drawing a wage from the government directly. I'll disregard the NI bit as of course there's no such thing. The two bombs made by the SAS in 1974 and planted in Dublin which killed a number of people must have been special "good guy" bombs. I suppose they were built with gentility and love and the timers were activated by the kiss of a prince with a pure heart.

The truth of the matter is far beyond your propaganda addled mind, your total lack of understanding of why you lost and how it happened is no surprise.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like