back to article Samsung pledges X-series laptops 'will not explode'

Samsung has launched a notebook range featuring batteries that it has claimed won’t explode, ever. Samsung_X_Series_03 Samsung's X series notebook: Incidents of laptop batteries suddenlt catching fire or exploding have generated lots of negative PR for many manufacturers over the past few years, Sony especially. However, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The Original Ash
    Alert

Land Rover Discovery

A little story for you:

Once upon a time, there was a UK off-road vehicle manufacturing company called Land Rover. This company made several styles of off-road vehicle, from the basic, stripped down and rugged Defender all the way up to the full-featured and comfortable Range Rover. In between these two was a comfortable yet capable off-road vehicle called the Discovery. Discovery was fitted with a device called ARC, the acronym for Anti-Roll Control. This system allows the suspension to dynamically adjust the resistance in each shock absorber, preventing the very heavy body of the vehicle from rolling in the corners.

Unfortunately, some mean old Lawyers came to ruin their fun. "ARC" needed to be renamed! " People will believe anything," the lawyer says "and we mustn't tell them something which they believe is true, and could hurt us if it isn't. Anti-Roll Control implies that the car will not roll, and therefore cannot ever flip over."

So, with the lawyer earning his £3489057495 a minute salary, ARC and all its impressively named glory became ACE, Active Cornering Enhancement. All because "When you make something idiot proof, they'll find a better idiot."

I hope none of these batteries ever explodes.

2. Steve X
    Grenade

ceramic batteries?

So no smoke, just shrapnel, then?

3. Stuart 14
    Terminator

I for one

I for one will miss our exploding laptop overlords.

4. Another Anonymous Coward 1

Hrm..

While technically, it should be a good selling point...

I still wouldn't trust any advertising campaign that claimed "new and improved, no more explosions this time, honest!".

Most people probably aren't very aware of the various "laptops burning your crotch with acidic flaming goop" stories, so it's probably best not to call attention to it even when progress is made on cutting down the average frequency of exploding.

5. Martin 19
    Happy

@ The Original Ash

I love the idea of a load of Brummie engineers sitting around, trying to think of a new name for the system, before somebody asks "Why not just call it 'Ace'?"

6. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

UV coating?

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't recognize the acronym. 'Urethane varnish' is the best possibility I can come up with, and that's a rather strange thing to put on a computer case.

7. Filippo Silver badge

"does not explode"

It's sure nice, but it still won't look good on a brochure.

8. Giles Jones Gold badge

Great choice of material

Why not use glass and maximise the fragility of the battery?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like