back to article ProStor makes new money from old data

Archiving is no big bucks bonanza. Look at the declining tape business, the collapse of Plasmon, and Copan struggling to survive. Yet in this harsh environment, startup ProStor, with its removable disk technology, appears to be booming. ProStor is a tape cartridge replacement play. A fundamental difference from tape is that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The Indomitable Gall

Further info needed.

So why should the enterprise go for ProStor rather than simply buying an external SATA dock and a stock of SATA drives?

What's the deal-breaking tech they're bringing to the table?

2. Paul Hates Handles

Whatever happened to...

...IOMEGA ZIP drives. They were _shite_ :)

3. The First Dave

Zip was great, at first.

I really don't get this - how is one of these drives different to a standard hot-pluggable SATA drive?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Err

"It's forty times cheaper than regular RAID drive arrays at the 20TB capacity level. It's half the cost of tape"

That seems like a very specific price point comparison - You'll need about 25 slots to store 20TB (assuming 800GB per cart) This realistically means that you're going to buy a 40slot library with two tape drives (for redundancy) and it's going to set you back some.

I would also venture that it's 40% cheaper than regular RAID because the hardware is somewhere in the region of 40% shitter.

Don't get me wrong, this may be a good product for its intended market, but it doesn't look like it's for anything other than small business.

Tape is very fast, carts are cheap and it doesn't use much power or require any cooling of note.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RDX tape?

There was an RDX version that acted like a tape drive in their original press releases. I wonder why they didn't bring that to market? That would have been the better solution for SMB's that already wanted to migrate off DAT.

This topic is closed for new posts.