back to article EU to pour €18m into next, next generation mobile

The European Union is planning to invest €18m in the next generation of the Long Term Evolution standard, promising 1Gb speeds to those unhappy with the 100Mb/sec available from LTE. The funding becomes available from the start of next year and the ARTIST4G consortium will be spending September deciding how to divvy up the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. AndrueC Silver badge
    Badgers

It's all hot air.

One thing that seems to get little discussion with mobile broadband is the contention between the end user and the mast. I thought that it's a fundamental weakness of mobile broadband and the reason fixed line services will always be better.

How much bandwidth can a mast have available to end users if we assume unlimited backhaul from the mast (which is itself very unlikely).

2. Graham Dawson Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

One possible reason.

Pulling the app layer off the phone onto centralised systems, turning the phone into a dumb terminal. You'd need low latency and high bandwidth to achieve that. It would also make monitoring for "security" purposes much easier.

3. Paul H
    FAIL

So...

I'll be able to hit the 'unlimited' package download limit in a matter of seconds now?

4. Richard 22
    FAIL

WTF

"Surely it's not necessary to "turn mobile phones into powerful mobile computers", as Ms. Reding puts it in the release."

Because current devices in their current usage modes don't require such speeds doesn't mean there's no value in considering future enhancements. Technology provides an enabler - often the uses take some time to catch up, and don't always match what was expected (3G was supposed to be all about video telephony - don't think I've met anyone who has used it for that). I don't expect to see such Luddite drivel on a tech site...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

* A title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

"who wouldn't want to download the El Reg home page in two thousandths of a second to a mobile phone?"

You'll have to remove the ad.doubleclick.net links before anybody'll get close to that.

6. Pawel 1
    Thumb Down

@Paul H

And then be able to continue your access at a very attractive rate of 10 or 30 p/ MB. Spending hundreds of pounds per second never was easier.

7. Andus McCoatover

Daft.

I haven't lost the ability to use a pen and paper, seal an envelope, and lick (yuk! - dead horse glue) a stamp. (Shite - I'm now on the DNA register. So, of course, is the horse. [Grief! I'm a poet, and didn't know it])

I want a bloody "Speaking Telephone" for talking to people. I don't wanna watch Formula-1 on a tiny screen the size of a 5-bob piece. That's why I bought a fuc*king TV.

It's a solution waiting for a problem. Which won't necessarily happen.

If necessity is the mother of invention, then this invention must be a bastard child. I see no father mentioned there.

Why these corporate twats don't wake up, and lob themselves off tall buildings beats me.

WE DON'T NEED IT!!! GORRIT?????

8. Mage Silver badge
    Alert

1Gbps

That will give about 5Mbps to 10Mbps per user.

You do need that on a Mast to truly have Broadband performance. 100Mbps LTE manages only just 500kbps to 1Mbps per user economically and realistically loaded.

14.4Mbps 3G/HSPA only does about 1Mbps to 2Mbps average throughput and with 20 users can easily be under 200kbps for 1/2 the users or more. 50kbps or dropped connections is not unusual.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like