back to article Google web search given shot of Caffeine

Google has lifted the lid on the next-generation web search architecture it’s been quietly working on for the past few months. Mountain View is opening up a web preview of the new search functionality and design it has been building, that carries the moniker “Caffeine”. It said the new code would help the company “push the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rob 101

I'll have to find the feedback link then. Doesn't work very well

I can't follow a link without having to complete a captcha and pressing the back button does not take you back to the search page but to the submit and the actual page is no longer visible in the history.

Bit of a disappointing start I'd say.

It does have the suggested search terms that have been in it's browser search for a while though but where's my search history gone?

2. Gangsta
    Thumb Up

Faster

Certainly seems faster.

Search for "Google Caffeine" takes 0.07 seconds on the new engine,

"Google Caffeine" on the standard engine takes 0.65 seconds..

However the Standard engine's times seem to fluctuate wildly between 0.10 seconds and 0.70 seconds,

Caffeine's times seem more consistent.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seems to have massively downgraded twitter and wikipedia

Which is nice

4. Steve Welsh
    Paris Hilton

Google Searches

Google have been buggering about with their standard search engine within the last few days anyway. A particular search that I do daily has, for the last several years always returned somewhere between 12,000 and 18,000 results rarely going outside that range. One day last week overnight it went from that to over 70,000 results and has been in the range of 65,000 to 85,000 results ever since.

Paris, cos at least you would know what to expect if she started buggering about with you.

5. TCH
    Happy

Interesting to see the SEO companies that drop off the first page

Search on Search engine optimization and see which of the "top" seo companies are gone from page one or move down the rankings. Some "experts" vanish. Lol

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Twin Peaks?

good to see the references carrying on into the 21st century.

7. Nexox Enigma

Finally...

If any Linux-related search doesn't come up with 6 pages of useless Ubuntu forum posts, and hundreds of blogs that copy and pasted the same press release don't get top ranking for any recent news search, then things are headed in the right direction.

8. Charles Manning

Various

@Gangsta: Not taking anything away from them, but ... Faster.... well maybe that's because so few people are using it so it is hard to do an apples-to-apples comparason from the outside world.

It would be royally stupid to say that this is a response to bing. Development times are far too long to slap something like this together since bing showed its face.

9. Nate@Doubleshot

side-by-side caffeine comparison

to see what changed in caffeine, try comparegoogle.com

This has been helpful in finding difference in search results for the two algorithms. Just put in some keywords and see what changed. Could be helpful for SEO engineers.

10. MarcF
    Thumb Up

see below

Seems snappier, although as mentioned this is probably due to server load. Google's own services seem to be ranked higher (video+news results mainly). Wikipedia falls down the search rankings slightly which is never a bad thing.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like