back to article Microsoft pledges Java love in Sun-less world

Microsoft will keep the flame of interoperability between .NET and Java burning in the future world without Sun - currently Java's chief steward. Dan'l Lewin, corporate vice president for strategic and emerging business development, told what's looking like the last JavaOne that Microsoft's "intent and ongoing commitment" is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Already sold?

Why is Microsoft even giving a keynote at JavaONE?

Unless Larry has already agreed to sell off Java to them?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeah, yeah, yeah

Oh I cannot stop laughing, they won't will they, even now they are plotting the problems of interoperability whilst claiming they will aim for it.

Borland made quite good environments for Windows, but boy was there a lot of hacking around they had to do.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

MS can take their .Net and shove it

Their "interoperability" doesn't even extend as far as making .Net portable. So when my Java app swans from Windows to Linux to OS X with nary a code change, will .Net follow it and still be interoperable?

Will it friggin' buggery!

So why bother with .Net in the first place?

4. What the hell happened to my pseudonym Silver badge
    Thumb Down

In other news...

...Stalin promises to recreate a free and liberated Poland once the war is over.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

.NET's existence

I'm pretty sure that not being interoperable with Java is the main reason .NET exists in the first place, but of course schemes like this are never simple and MS has to walk the fine line between intent and appearance.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

White Man speaks with Forked Bum

More Lies, More Bullshit - more movers to Linux.

Dan'l Lewin, corporate vice president for strategic and emerging business development, told what's looking like the last JavaOne that Microsoft's "intent and ongoing commitment" is to make .NET and Java systems "work and work well together".

"I want to be perfectly clear that the Microsoft commitment is there to drive interoperability and collaboration because it's good for our end users and it's good for our customers," Lewin said.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Ok...

..if this was MS's intent, then why did they not do it from the start?? After all Java was around and being used when they swanned in with their 'framework'. If they'd wanted interoperability the initial design stage would've been the perfect time to do this.

Unless they want Java to do all the legwork, which is what I suspect.

It saddens me when I'm looking through job adverts for supposedly scientific computing jobs that require C# (and even more shockingly VB.NET!) experience. Unless there's something I'm not aware of and c# (and *laughs* VB) is suddenly a high-performance language. It's the 'we've got giga/teraflops to play with, so lets just waste 55% of them and it'll still seem fast' way.

This topic is closed for new posts.