back to article Crew preps for ISS spacewalk

Commander Gennady Padalka and flight engineer Mike Barratt will tomorrow venture outside the International Space Station to prep the Pirs docking module for the arrival of the Russian Mini-Research Module 2. Japanese astronaut Koichi Wakata aboard the ISS. Pic: NASA The pair are tasked with installing a docking antenna to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ross Fleming
    Thumb Up

Procrastination

"slated to blast off on 10 November"

My word that's forward planning. I'd have put that off until at least October, and then panicked at the last minute. I'd have tided the place up, organised my papers etc as an urgent activity that couldn't possibly wait.

Unless they're just really bored up there.

2. Wayland Sothcott

Worrying

If I was doing the spacewalk I would be worried about what my crew mates would be up to whilst I was out of the way.

3. TeeCee Gold badge
    Joke

Re: Worrying

What, you mean like:

Suddenly turning off all the lights, wedging the airlock door closed and ignoring any thumping on the hull for half an hour.

Hotwiring the "decompression alert" siren in the airlock for entertainment value on your return.

Playing Barry Manilow tracks in an endless loop on the EVA comms frequency.

Smearing the seat of the space bog with impact adhesive for entertainment value some time after your return.

Calling up and advising that they've found a hidden stash of fresh salmon, caviar, beer, vodka and weed in the Russian module, which they've already eaten, drank and smoked.

Faking up a Ground control communication advising of the outbreak of World War three.

Hacking the EVA suit systems and repeatedly cycling the internal temperature between "hinges of hell" and "balls off brass monkey".

Downloading one of those "real fire" screensavers, taping a monitor running it to the nearest porthole and then screaming for help.

Adding a pinch of salt and some yellow food dye to the output side of the piss recycler.

@any Astronauts reading this. Feel free. I like a laugh.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Worrying

Its not what your crewmates do that you should be worries about ... its the computer - will it really open the airlock door?

5. Dave_H
    Happy

Just familiarising themselves with their new surroundings

At the cost of getting them up (and kkeping them) there I want their noses to the grindstone immediately!

6. Ryan
    Coat

Obligatory...

Maybe it's a problem with the AE-35 unit?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like