back to article Microsoft, Asus launch anti-Linuxbook campaign

Microsoft and Asus have teamed up to present a new advertising smarm-storm intended to extol the virtues of Windows on netbooks - and smear Linux. The joint effort's spawn is a website entitled "It's Better with Windows." It's a simple site with a simple message: Windows can prevent poor, unsuspecting non-techies from "dealing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

It had to happen

As soon as Microsoft put its grubby mitts on this project, this outcome was inevitable.

What I would like to know is how those that originated this project can look at themselves in the mirror in the morning. Or has Monkey Boy given them Personal Grooming Assistants so that they don't have to any more ?

2. Sitaram Chamarty
    Gates Horns

what they did not mention

is "secure". They found a close-enough-in-some-sense word (Trusted) but they dared not say "secure".

3. Frank

Yes but....

I watched it and it was bland, bloated and bullshit - hey, it's Microsoft :) I am wondering what the equivalent Penguinista video would look like. Apart from the suspicion that the OS 'community' would not be able to see the point of producing a video like this, or any kind of advertising for that matter; what would a Penguinista promotional video look like?

Post your answers You-Tube please and provide a link to El Reg comments by the end of June 2009 when voting will take place. The winner gets an EEE 1000 running Win-7 Starter Edition.

4. Andus McCoatover
    Unhappy

Unbelievable!

Need some digging to find out why Xandros and Asus have fallen out. There must be some muck under the rug we don't know about.

The netbook and Linux concept was a marriage made in heaven. I just don't get it. Microsoft must've wedged up Asus bigtime for this. Was Asus on the financial ropes? Needs checking.

But, I can't understand this at all. The video shows a dad having to set up his son's privacy protection..The whole sodding point of these machines was to whip it out of your coat pocket, swich on - boot in seconds - find an access point - pub, home, Starbucks, PanOulu, whatever - and get your e-mails, find your bus timetable, etc. within a minute or so. Not piss about with admin. rights...

Does XP boot that quick? Doubt it.

Can I change from Xandros to XP free? Doubt it.

I suppose this change scuppers any upgrades to Xandros now....

Bollox

Incidentally, looks like the model they've chosen to mostly show is the early eee701 4G. I say 'early' - We've got two (bought 3 - one's in a Kenyan orphanage. "Buy three-Give One"). My g/f's later 8G model has a squirly Eee logo on the lid,not ASUS like mine, or in the video - presumably to show the ASUS name, which the later models won't. Later S/W - MUCH better than mine.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Unlikely to have bought Asus anyway...

but at least now it won't even be considered, with "them" up their back passage.

6. some
    Paris Hilton

Investigation time!

I've read a lot about this and people are saying it's fake. Although in a few places, it's been said that Asus have admitted it is a genuine campaign. There is some discrepancy with the http://uk.asus.com and http://www.asus.co.uk sites, too. I don't know what to believe. El Reg, don't just write stuff without verification. Go right ahead and call them. We need proof of this.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

It's about time ...

... that someone did us all a favour and nuked Redmond. Where's your mushroom cloud icon, El Reg?

On a slightly more serious note (but only slightly), if Microsoft has offered *any* kind of inducement to Asus, or if Asus has asked for any consideration from Microsoft in return, then isn't that behaviour illegal in the anti-competitive/anti-trust sense?

8. Kevin Rudd
    Linux

"Trusted" like a catholic priest babysitter.

After ASUS dared to defy Big Ballmer, looks like ASUS have been sent for a session in room 101. Now that they have been re-educated, they are producing this vomit inducing shite. (seriously, I am mashing chunks of carrot between the keys as I type)

Ahh well, the dream was nice while it lasted, buying a computer and only paying for the hardware and not an MS tax etc, etc.

9. Michael
    Happy

Meh!

Talk is cheap.... what asus should do is load any new eeepc's with nvidia /ati hardware, so they can REALLY paint themselves into a corner.. (Proprietary drivers).

10. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

Never Mind

There's a whole lot of ARM stuff about to appear. lets see them get Win 7 on that

11. Nick Askew

I admit it I like Windows

There I've said it. And apparently so do 96% of new Netbook owners. Or at least 96% of them prefer Windows to Linux. I too bought an early eee pc with Linux installed (Xandros I guess) and quickly upgraded that to Ubuntu and then after my Holiday I have to say it has sat unloved on a shelf. I will admit that this is partially because I am unfamiliar with Linux. I do regret not having had the Windows option at the time (I believe that was offered later).

While that advert really is quite sickening it does seem that ad men seem to be going down that route a lot these days. I mean who would have thought that aided only by a mediocre fizzy drink you can dump your girlfriend with such style.

And as for Windows messenger. I really do wish that it sat quietly in the background rather than forcing popping up adverts when it starts. But I think the point, Andus, of showing some parent setting up security for their child is to show that, with Windows, it is so easy that your average parent can do it.

What I am saying here is that Windows is more familiar than Linux to most people. Perhaps if it sat still long enough more people would become familiar with Linux but my experiences with Linux has been that sooner or later you have to drop into some command prompt to get your work done. Quite often it seems that the commands you then have to type have changed from one installation of Linux to the next.

When some people buy a new computer they want it to work just like the last one because owning the computer is not about how fabulous the kernel is, it is about turning it on and sending someone an email and doing it just like you did last time. This does not make Windows necessarily a better operating system but it does attract loyalty.

I'm guessing that if a big car manufacturer came out with a whizzy new way to control a car where the pedals are in different places and you use a joystick rather than a stearing wheel there would be some people who would see the superior nature of the controls and about 96% of people who would say they liked it the old way.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Falseness In Advertizing

So they cheat too. Not surprising. At least in the "Trusted" ad they show a full-screen view of the display that is twice the horizontal resolution of the EeePC (shown immediately afterwards as true resolution in the next cut)...

It's the little details that piss people off...

13. Charles Manning

Coke is Life...

err no it is water (which isn't too bad) + a poison (CO2) + bunch of carcinogenic compounds (sugar, caffeine etc).

But still they're pretty close to being right,.

I have [ and am using right now] an Acer sold with Linux. Thank BigG I'm reasonably Linux literate otherwise I'd be fucked.

As much as we might fanboi over Linux, there is far too many zealots pushing the Open Source Religion (Wikipedia should really ban then sometime) over straight usability. Until we're practical about making usability more important than "freedom" (as defined by RMS), Linux Laptops won't be ready for prime time unless the hardware vendors support and update their own tweaked distros.

One reason Linux phones work for the Great Unwashed is that they use custom distrros. Although based on open source, customers still experience these as turnkey software.

"Oooh you can fix the bugs yourself" is a fine strategy for geeks who get a stiffy at the thought of a bug, but Mom and Pop want software to work when they download it from the vendor. They don't want to spend days in Ubuntu forums figuring out how to tweak X config files or fix bugs.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

How Much Did MS Pay ASUS ?

Or give a considerable discount ? Monopoly leverage going on here I think by locking up the channel, anyone got Neelie Kroes phone number (and no I'm not looking for a date before the wags get there).

15. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Skullduggery

Perhaps the monopolies commissions can look at WHY 90+% are now using XP; I tried and tried and tried to get an original 901 with Linux but failed; every retailer I could find was only selling the XP version, or claimed the Linux version was "sold out, waiting for new stock", which never arrived.

I dont want a 900, or a 904; in my book the 901 was the nearest thing to perfect for mobile/casual use, the SSD meant no worries about using it on the move and the huge battery life meant no worries about where the nearest power socket was.

The 1000 series may have a better keyboard, but it (like most of the others), is too big and heavy to slip in a pocket (assuming you have a pocket big enough!!), unless you REALLY need to use it while out and about.

Mines the one with the shop-lifting pocket ideally sized for a EeePC.

16. captain kangaroo
    Stop

ammusing...

.. to see that they are demonstrating XP... the old familiar... not the massively unpopular Vista or the new 7...

I don't suppose they could carry on with the "trusted", "familiar", or "compatible" tags if they had show Vista or 7...

Ah well. I suppose the saddest thing about this is that Asus are involved. I have lots of their components and a Screen of theirs, and to be honest I'd rather hardware vendors kept out of the OS wars, as it doesn't really build trust when you see them getting into bed together in such a bitchy way.

P.S. The lady featured in the film is hot, so it does score on one level ;)

17. This post has been deleted by its author

18. James Dunmore
    Stop

Simple linunx relatiation

...NO VIRUSES !!

19. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

My tuppence

"an unfamiliar environment or major compatibility issues." - reminds me of vista when it first came out.

However..., much as I hate MS, there are 2 key reasons I use windows on this eee, and 1 key reason I use linux (dual boot).

Pro windows:

Wireless config (linux just doesn't handle it as well)

Display scrolling - the driver allows the display to be bigger than the little screen.

Pro linux:

speed: boot time and browser rendering time (particularly flash/js-heavy sites)

20. david bates
    Thumb Down

Well, I love my little 701...

and running eeebuntu its a little stunner, but looks like next time I'll be shopping with someone other than Asus.

Windows and a spinny hard disk = FAIL IMHO for a netbook.

21. Christian Berger

It needs to have Windows to be a netbook

If you have Linux it's a full-featured PC. If it has Windows installed it is a feature limited appliance.

22. Allan Rutland
    Flame

Much of this...

actually goes back it seems to the original Eee 701, and Asus discovering that over 75% of the linux versions it shipped were getting XP installed on them inside the first 3 months. One of the really stupid things about this was the reasoning behind it, the users were (a large majority of them anyhow) putting XP on them so they could install iTunes on the things (and yes, its a netbook, it shouldn't have it on it)...I dunno, theres a whole lovely glossy feeling of seeing Apple actually ending up being a reason to install Windows over Linux thats just bloody funny as hell hehe.

23. Richard Stubbs
    Gates Horns

What else they did not mention

I hear if you put Linux on a netbook a kitten dies

24. Rob O'Connor

Asus lost a sale

Well done Asus. I was about to buy an Eee PC to run Linux on, but now you say you don't recommend it, I won't.

25. Sooty

my thoughts

are that the main issue is that the versions of linux on netbooks are generally fairly customised and locked down. The view of what a netbook is and what the buyers seem to want is slightly different.

I think that the simplistic versions of linux released have shot themselves in the foot. Most of the linux netbooks are setup like an appliance, simplistic menus, and a few simple apps. As soon as you put windows XP on it become a mini laptop. I realise you could put a full linux distribution on, but your general public doesn't know what distributions are. if anything they know linux and windows, eg. as far as they know linpus is linux and all it ever will be.

As much as the companies want netbooks to be simple web browsers and office tools, the vast majority of people who buy them, myself included, just wanted a cheapish ultra-portable laptop. Despite being "low powered", the netbook i have is the same spec as previous laptop, which was top of the range when i got it 5-6 years ago.

26. Gerry

And then they fight you...

@ Nick Askew

You are of course, at liberty to like Windows, but remember to thank Linux when you buy another computer with MS Windows 7 Starter edition, they've had to uncripple it and I'd be pleased hear reasons for that happening other than a real alternative.

@Charles Manning

"Thank BigG I'm reasonably Linux literate otherwise I'd be fucked"

There's a wonderful joke sitting under that quote, but honestly, why do you bother?

Out here, a friend of mine had been resisting my blandishments regarding swapping out Win 2000. However she looks after someone with cerebral palsy (this isn't a joke nor I talking about about any well-known astrophysicists) who has been using GNU/Linux for years. She gave my friend a live CD of that annoying distro. My friend didn't realise that the performance she preferred could be improved by installing it...

I started the install programme for her, which went without a hitch.

She knows _nothing_ about IT, operating systems, .deb, and she's well happy.

27. Dave Bell

Xandros v. Windows

Xandros Linux on the Eee was usable, but support was minimal and there were reports of security compromises. More relevant to the average computer user, OpenOffice, on a UK keyboard machine, didn't have UK English dictionaries. Also, the media player was missing widely-used video drivers.

There are much better versions of Linux, and Windows wouldn't have the visible Xandros problems, but I doubt I could do anything useful with Windows on this machine.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Retailers fault

Personally I think this is the retailers' fault.

I work on returns/customer service for a well known, and disliked, UK retailer and we get loads of Linux netbooks returned because sales staff are selling then as laptops, the customers then find out they can't install their games and try to return it (I had one recently returns cause they couldn't play Crysis)..

If they were sold as an internet device or like a smart phone I think there would be alot more happy customers, instead of sales staff claiming they are just cheap, small laptops.

29. Apocalypse Later

Nevertheless...

The ads are essentially true. Windows is familiar and compatible. Linux has other virtues no doubt.

I have two machines side by side on my desk, running XP and Ubuntu, on the same network. XP is the one I turn on every morning first thing. I play with Ubuntu every now and then. Canonical sent me a free Ubuntu 9.04 CD for the asking, which is definitely an improvement on the procedure for acquiring Windows, but it won't run most of the programs I use everyday. It has alternatives for many of them, but I keep having to switch back to Windows to do various things, and once there, there is nothing to make me switch back to Ubuntu.

I tried putting Linux on an old laptop that hadn't enough memory for XP, to use it like a netbook, but the OS could not understand the wireless PCMCIA card that had worked fine in Win98. No Linux drivers available from the manufacturer. Is that Linux's fault? Not the issue. Another iteration of "Windows works, Linux fails".

30. captain kangaroo
    Thumb Down

transparent...

This is such an obviously biased web site I hope this backfires. I really do think that many people will see that M$ are actually scared of something, and wonder what they are scared off.

For me, i took the Pepsi challenge, I'd ordered tickets for a gig. and being the UK there was a postal strike, so the tickets didn't arrive. I got an email from the promoter saying that the email was may ticket, all i had to do was print it take it with me..

I'd just rebuilt 2 PCs, one with Ubuntu and one with XP, but had never connected up ther printer to either, and the gig was in 40 minutes, so i had to get a print out.

Connected printer to XP box.... waited, got a message saying something had happened to a USB port and it was going to look for drivers and stuff..... a few minuts later it still had no idea what had happened to the USB port and was asking me for help.. I wondered if Ubuntu would fare better as I was getting nowhere with XP.

Connected printer to Ubuntu box, got a message straight away saying "You have connected a HP 5250 Printer, please wait a moment". Then, literally a moment later i had the "device ready" message. 650 seconds later i was making my way out of the door with ticket in hand.

Now, I bought the XP box from eBay with a pre-installed XP for £45. and Ubuntu is free, although I did wait 3 weeks for the CD. (i could have downloaded it but decided to get the original disk for fun).... If i had paid full price for the PC and XP I would have immediately declared the purchase to be not fit for purpose. Ubuntu however, has been great with everything I've connected to it. It's occasionaly awkward, but nothing mind blowing. And it reads NTFS drives without a problem. Windows does not read anything else apart from FAT or NTFS without a big hoo har, and the last time I did try setting up XP to read ext3 it ruined the permissions on that drive and rendered it useless so I had to re-install it.

XP = £££ and is not great.

Ubuntu = Free and is wonderful

Conclusion, if Ubuntu was £££ i'd only be unhappy because the graphical layout looks like an amateur "My First PC" style... where as XP looks ace and is very slick looking, but is essentially shit for the money....

31. Wayne Stallwood

This should be a hoax but it isn't

That site is just way way to amateurish even for this campaign, however the video is fairly well put together if still very very cheesy.

But a Website made of a single background image (inc the text so search engines will struggle to index it) nasty nasty jpeg compression, on a domain registered to a Michael Sharp in Washington ?

Surely even a marketing department stupid enough to approve this campaign would be capable of putting something together that looks a little more convincing.

But then I noticed that it is linked from here

http://www.asus.co.uk/eeepc/1008HA/features.html

So it is endorsed by Asus ! Hilarious

32. adnim

Not quite so

"Why? Well, as the site proudly proclaims, Windows is trusted, familiar, and compatible. And, by implication, Linux isn't."

Windows is familiar and compatible no doubt there, but trusted? Windows in my opinion is no more a trusted computing platform than it is secure.

I do trust Windows to contact Microsoft at every opportunity to inform MS of the websites I visit, the search terms I enter into IE, the media I play in WMP and no doubt a list of other activities that I perform on my PC. As a result, I use Windows as an operating system only. All applications for web browsing, messaging, email and media play are from third parties I actually do trust.

The only place windows is trusted and secure, yes secure, is when it is left on installation media far away from any PC hardware.

I do prefer OSS but it is still quite a way from being ready as a desktop OS for the average "I'm not technically minded, what's a command line? I just want it to work" user.

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dialogs don't fit the XP screen

Big problem with Eeepc running windows is many of the dialogs don't fit on the screen and because you can't move them off the top left, you can't get to the buttons lower down.

Open Office is also far far better than MS Works. MS Works is deliberately crippled, Open Office is up to MS Office spec. It comes with lots of Microsoft crust like Windows live messenger, when Skype is far more useful, you need to get rid of the crust to make space, or buy the one with a big hard drive and lose the battery life instead.

Autoupdates, Microsoft likes to dump addons and call them urgent upgrades at 100Mb a time. Not good on a small factor laptop. You don't want or need Silvershite for example, but that bloat ware comes to you automagically via Windows update.

Weakest platform for security.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This has got to be someone's idea of a joke

or possibly the rabid imaginings of some 8-year-old fanboy like the ones in MS's current round of "I'm a PC" ads

35. Gordon
    Alien

its better than windows

how about its betterthanwindows site, lol

showing linux and os-x

i had a eeepc 4g think it was, ok but small screen, the basic linux was ok, but used adavanced desktop, it was xandros, tried windows xp cut down version i had done, it was ok but after installing you had very little drive space left and the rez of the screen was not good you had to put a patch on to fix it, so you could get a good rez, without having to move the desktop around to find thing, then all the security had to be added, good worked ok if you did not really want to do anything with it apart from skype, msn, internet, maybe some form of basic word processing. the on board camera was ok but even with 20Mbps connection still not as good as the one in the video.

in the tried many other linux on it, then sold the thing.

Now have a samsung n10 it did have xp on it but now has dual boot linux and osx86.

much better.

I was just thinking all hype from asus making the first netbook and running linux, selling loads of them, all the money they made then from them with linux on, then sticking two fingers up and going to Micro$haft, what a bunch of w...kers, i will not be buying any more of there stuff, now it begs the question where they forced, did micro$haft, threaten with breach of copyright etc, some of the code for linux and didn't xandros and linpire join forces then jump into bed with micro$haft to stop all the copyright stuff, then didn't micro$haft start showing interest in the linux stuff claiming they owned some of the code, and started treating any one using linux.

or may be asus just thought we are not making as much money as we did at start, and loads are making windows netbooks maybe its time to move to it!

lets jump into be with micro$haft and stuff the linux lot, we have had what we wanted from them.

36. Andus McCoatover
    Gates Horns

Embrace, Enhance, Extinguish

'Nuff said

("I am a Fairy. My name is Nuff".

Fair enough.)

</groan>

37. John Robson Silver badge
    Thumb Down

That's one short video

Cut together repeatedly...

And then put in a loop after you press play...

MS / Asus:

Familiar != better

Trusted != Good (we used to trust the banks)

Compatible isn't your game, never has been.

- Try reading my ext3 formatted SD cards on Windows...

- Try looking through just ubuntu's package management to see what "proprietary" devices are supported - and that's ignoring RedHat, SuSE et al.

I was hoping that the proliferation of netbooks would encourage the definition of some communications standards, and provide device manufacturers (e.g. nokia, garmin etc) to publish their interfaces (it's not as if I'm going to buy a device I can't talk to, or that talking to the device is useful without the physical device)

38. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

I guess this was inevitable really...

The ad is clearly anticompetitive as far as I'm concerned. But am I surprised? no, I think we've all come to expect this kind of thing from M$.

I must admit though that most of the population do have a tendency to "prefer" Windows as it's what they're used to and for the most part all they've ever used, plus of course gamers etc who unfortunately don't have much of a choice, I really hope that changes.

My daughter's 8 now and she's had an Edubuntu/Ubuntu based computer since she was 6, I figured she only really learns how to use Windows at school so I'd try and balance it out. With a little help she recently upgraded it to 9.04 herself with a clean install, setup everything how she likes it from compiz & desktop themes, to rearranging her menus and installing some extra packages & codecs. Give her the choice and she'd rather use Ubuntu every time.

Maybe they should just concentrate on getting schools to use it, we'd probably see a big shift in a very short space of time then :-)

39. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

apple?

@captain kangaroo

>> I really do think that many people will see that M$ are actually scared of something, and wonder what they are scared off.

Just what I was wondering too. Whether or not Apple jumps into this space, the threat of it may have worried Asus enough to seek a strong marketing partner.

40. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

I was happy

with my little Asus running Linux until they've told me it's shite.

Can I have my money back?

BTW, I sympathise with anyone who is forced to use an 'unfamiliar environment'. My wife is struggling at work.

She was fine until they 'upgraded' to Office 2007 - now she's pulling her hair out.

41. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Installed Windows on my Linux netbook

I've got the Aspire One and the bundled version of Linux was a nightmare to keep up-to-date. Essential software patches were not available via the official updater MONTHS after they have been released. The only way to keep the machine up-to-date was to hit the command line and do everything by hand (and often finding new incompatibilities as you went).

For Joe Public this is simply too much hassle. Microsoft, after having so much practice, have got a simple way of updating applications.

If the netbook manufacturers had been serious about Linux they would have shipped something that combined Linux's security with a usable update procedure.

And that's my excuse.

42. Niels Emmer

I fear change (?)

Not a linux fanboi at all; in fact after many tries this is the first time I installed Linux and did NOT go back to Windows. My Acer Aspire One came with XP and acted like a laptop with a small screen. Slowed down by virus scanner, firewall & (trial!) version of office. Have trouble understanding all these comments about incompatibility, am I living in the same universe?

Installed Ubuntu Netbook Remix from a 1Gb stick and that little machine flies! In the office, it drives my 19" flatscreen. Close the lid, take it on the road. Over lunch, it picks up the WiFi net in town and if out of reach, it uses my Nokia. NO additional drivers needed, for ANYTHING. Going 3G was a matter of plugging in my phone and setting the APN. Try that with the shitty Nokia Connection Manager on windows. Suspends, hibernates, wakes up in seconds.

Open Office does all I need and external communications are in the (standard supported) PDF format. PhotoShop runs without ANY trouble (right click the setup.exe and choose to install using WINE). So does my Garmin software, and other stuff that always pushed my back to MS. Not even mentioned the awesome (for a small screen) netbook launcher.

Steep learning curve? My grandma took less than half an hour to get it. Be honest, the switch is smaller than going to Office 2007, which is daunting for even this old timer in IT. Click the menu, choose application, work....

43. Mark Gowdy
    Paris Hilton

Hello 'Advertising Standards Authority'?

Have a quick look at the clip just after 3:25

I was unaware that running Windows (instead of Linux) was able to make your screen display at a considerably higher resolution that the actual native resolution of the device.

Astounding.

44. Rich Harding
    Stop

@Nick Askew

"We need to talk..."

(Only the "right" Nick Askew is liable to get that!)

Me? I'm seriously unimpressed with Asus's behaviour here (upon one of whose excellent full laptops, originally supplied with XP but now dual-booting with Ubuntu and almost never fired into XP, I'm typing this)...

45. Gareth Jones Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Funny isn't it?

Of late the only real selling point MS can come up with is that their products are very common (note I didn't say popular).

Either we have this new campaign which hinges on the fact that if you are used to Windows you should stick with it. Or the "I'm a sheep^H^H^H^H^HPC"* campaign, which seems to hinge on the idea that you should copy everybody else. A curious idea really since it actually argues against other MS products. If they think you should use Windows because everybody else does, then surely that argues against buying, for example, a Zune since nobody else has got one.

The fact that they are completely out of advertising ideas fits like a thingy in one of those whatsits that they are completely out of product ideas too.

46. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

@Talk is cheap....

"Talk is cheap.... what asus should do is load any new eeepc's with nvidia /ati hardware, so they can REALLY paint themselves into a corner.. (Proprietary drivers)."

I'm not sure what point is being made here... Windows uses proprietary drivers for most everything, while to make proper use of your video card under Linux, you also must use a driver from the manufacturer. You don't pay anything for either one. What is the big deal?

Yes, (mostly) Windows is easier to use. If in some golden utopia in the future, the best things of both MS and Linux OSes could be combined, the world would be a better place. XP works pretty well with everything. (except security) Windows 7 needs much work before release. Ubuntu works perfectly with my wireless card--Win 7 claims it's working normally and doesn't have any connectivity. Wired networking is flaky too till you turn off IPv6 support. Ubuntu works great with my sound card and VLC and Amarok are great. Win 7 claims I have no speakers attached and both XP and Win 7 versions of Media player are bloated, semi-functional garbage. Ubuntu works great with my older scanner/printer/fax combo without installing anything. MS works when it feels like it. The list goes on and on...

47. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Chairs in orbit

When Asus started getting successful with their 70x Eee range of 'legtops' running Linux I suspect there must've been a chair or two launched into orbit originating from the vicinity of Redmond.

Despite all the furore regarding Linux being dropped from 'legtops' in favour of Windows I can see why, I ditched the LInux on my Eee in favour of XP for several reasons; really didn't like the WIMP system as it felt 'alien', even FireFox's interface behaves silghtly differently on Linux compared to Windows. And furthermore if I wanted similar programs to what I use on Windows it would be a serious uphill task tracking down apps I liked and then finding they have their odd quirks, which would take up a lot of time needlessly, so I installed Windows which allowed me to seamlessly transfer menial jobs over to my Eee.

I'm tying this right now on my Eee because the PSU in my main PC recently popped a cap (fried capacitors stink!!)

Yes, I've been pussy-whipped by Microsoft I'm sad to say. If only they'd ported AmigaOS to X86 hardware... *sigh*

48. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"... poor, unsuspecting non-techies ..."

"Windows can prevent poor, unsuspecting non-techies from 'dealing with an unfamiliar environment or major compatibility issues.'"

This makes me laugh. I have just recently had enough with a number of Windows users who thought they 'must have Windows' (yeah, upper strata) and their shenanigans; they now run on Linux and finally get their work done. Windows is all right where it makes sense, and the users 'deserve' to have it, otherwise, NO.

49. Nick Askew
    Unhappy

@Rich Harding

Hey that's my ring tone!!

I am slightly embarassed to have to admit that after clicking the 'Post Comment' button my IE7 crashed taking out all the other tabs too. At least Firefox would have realised when it restarted and offered to get those tabs back.

As I said it is all about familiarity and not necessarily the best tool for the job. Indeed I am certain many new features in commercial software are only there to keep ahead of the competition, including Linux.

Right I'll click 'Post Comment' again and see what happens.

50. Brian Whittle

they have a point

I am as geeky as the next man and am quite comfortable using Linux but for normal , have a life people windows is easier for them to use if they don't want to go to the expense of a mac.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like