back to article Brusa weaves sexy, sporty Spyder

Buddy's Metro was the only production e-car unveiled at the recent Electric Vehicle Symposium in Norway, but it certainly wasn't the prettiest. That accolade’s almost certainly been won by Brusa's Spyder. Brusa_Spyder Brusa's Spyder: production plans aren't in place Looking like a cross between a Porsche 356 and Lotus …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks like a 356?

Looks nothing like a 356 to me. Looks a lot like a 550 Spyder. Could explain why they called it the Spyder then? Any chance they've just taken the body moulds from one of the replica kit cars on the market and modified them to suit? Anyway probably not one for Holywood stars to buy then unless they want to emulate James Dean.

16KWh batteries? Therein lies the current (sorry) problem with leccy tech, if you want something sleek and light like the spyder or if you want a bigger car with space for passengers and luggage then you end up with pitiful battery capacity.

Maybe I'm missing something (probably am, I'm no electrician) but wouldn't pulling 190KW from a 16KWh battery drain it in about five minutes. Even at 124mph that doesn't amount to 22 miles, more like 10 miles. Given that the tech can't be 100% efficient I think we can assume that it will be somewhat less than 10 miles. OK it's something of a moot point since you'd have a hard time finding anywhere other than a banked circuit to run at 124mph for five minutes, but presumably the motors would be drawing the same current with your foot flat on the floor whatever speed you were doing?

Leccy city cars are one thing, but sports cars should be driven in a spirited manner and driven with any brio at all the Spyder will manage less than an hour between charges. Yes I know it's a showcase for the technology, but as such it's a total failure. All they have done in highlighted the current shortcomings of battery technology in motoring applications. Battery tech is useful in certain applications, but not sports cars or long distance vehicles. Best that they stick to the applications where batteries will work well, doing so will hopefully speed the development of better batteries which can then be used in other applications. If they keep trying to replace our current cars with short range battery powered vehicles battery vehicles will get a bad name and nobody will want to buy them.

2. Elmer Phud
    Happy

annoying the eco-worriers

Ah, similar range to those awful square boxes we already see on the streets but at mini-cab speeds.

Nice.

3. Bad Beaver
    Thumb Up

The nice!

This looks great! The range is a sick joke, but the car looks swell!

4. Richard Porter

Nice looks, shame about the range

Why is it that only the ugly ones get made in numbers? There was a gorgeous little NICE car made by Cranfield, but sadly only a design exercise. But any serious leccy car needs to have regenerative braking and some back-up power.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Makes you realise...

What a load of bollocks all those CGI'd leccy sports-cars with fantastical ranges and performance were.

6. Mike Taylor
    Stop

Noises off

There definitely needs to be some noise added to them. I was overtaken by a TNT electric lorry the other day - I was on my bike. I nearly shat myself.

This topic is closed for new posts.