@re:jobforlife (Elmer Phudd)
Couldn't agree more.
BT Whoresale are a mess, BT Groupies a mess. BT Opensore a mess and charging Whoresale for it.
The UK BB market is dire where BT is concerned and this is due to a number of problems in no particular order:
1. Excessive middle and senior managers who have risen through the ranks usually from engineering and have few management skills at all and are totally ineffective (Not all but most)
2. Automated, low level scripting on fault diagnostics work.
3. Redeployment of 150 type skilled staff to Broadband technical support roles - If you pay someone peanuts to run a script you are not going to get a knowledgeable, experienced technical support person.
4. Offshore expertise - Read low level, cheap as chips scripted and watered down uselessness. It is not their fault but it is the fault of the middle and senior managers who know no better and have built their business model on this approach.
5. Service by fear – of missing a statistic or measure. How many BT staff can comfortably fix a customer’s service today without worrying they will fail their balanced scorecard measure? Fail the company Grade of Service stat? You can answer as many calls as you like in x seconds but if the service provided is shit you aren’t going to win any prizes.
6. Early release of experienced, hard working staff at the expense of dinosaurs who are just treading water waiting for the same release but cannot quite make it.
7. Archaic Unionised mentality rather than a proactive “Fuck” the unions service driven mentality.
8. Field engineers who happily sit in industrial estates or hidey holes for hours after doing bare minimum on jobs allocated and knowing they’ll pass a QA audit by assessors who couldn’t assess a ring doughnut!
There’s many more but you get the idea.
Lots of great hard working BT staff wrongly deployed in stupid roles, poor management and support for them yet the Neanderthals and ineffective ones get away with it.
BT – You SUCK!