back to article Clock starts ticking: Office 2010 will definitely ship in... 2010

Microsoft is expected to announce later today that Office 2010 will be released to manufacturers in the first half of next year, and it will come in 32-bit and 64-bit flavours. "Yes, Office will have two separate 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Office 2010 will be the first to do this," an MS spokesdroid told Ars Technica. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Surely...

That just means Office will be able to eat 4GB of memory all on it's own.

2. James
    Paris Hilton

Free office 2010...

oooooo "A technical preview version" just like the Blue version of the current office 2007 that I have been on since it came out... the version that updates fine and works well, the version with no activation key at all?

Glad companies are paying for this, not sure I would bother with it at home if it wasn't so easy to get for free... may even be forced into OpenOffices arms... Sure M$ has thought of that and makes it as easy as possible, short of actually giving it away, to get the office suite for nothing

Paris - as I'm sure she has somebody else buy her a legit copy...

3. IHateWearingATie
    Stop

Oh good...

... another version of Office I can safely ignore as I continue merrily on with Office 2003.

I may upgrade my copy of Visio if they have bothered to better integrate it into the Office family though.

4. Linbox
    Jobs Horns

This is getting ridiculous

On a very rough appraisal of what my customers are using, I would guess the penetration of Office2007 is about 5%. I know a couple of sites that have banned 2k7 because their users are too “confused” by the Ribbon interface. I don't send or ever receive .docx or .xlsx files, which is another bad sign for uptake.

Couldn't they just admit that this endless upgrade process can't last forever?

5. Wibble
    Gates Horns

13 previous versions and it's still not right?

I feel like a goldfish. Haven't we been here before; Microsoft updates some things, breaks some more, then the next releases fix these then breaks others....

What's the codeword for this: Office Dynasty? Oh, it's plain 14.

Glug.

6. Tezfair
    Stop

toolbars

I hope they bring back the toolbars and get rid of those stupid ribbons. The few companies that I have supplied O2007 have all moaned and we have then had to buy the toolbar addins.

Now I just install OpenOffice and other than the mail merge not working 100% its good enough for businesses.

And the blue version was a precracked version.

MS are slowly killing themselves with crap that people don't want yet think its what we do.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@Mr ChriZ

That was my first thought too!

I can see hordes of Excel macro writers eagerly awaiting the lifting of the 4GB limit to their fiendish templates...

Paris - one of the aforementioned developers.

8. Mark

VBA

Will they finally replace VBA with C# and provide those users (mainly big corporates) that extensively use things like Excel with something useful for once? Or will it still be the same old VBA to COM interop bollocks that it always has?

9. Henry Wertz Gold badge

Not 14th version

I agree with Wibble's sentiment, but they've skipped a bunch of versions.

Word, for instance, they skipped from Word 2.0 to Word 6.0, to synchronize version numbers with the Mac version of Word.... Office, it appears they started with Office 3.0, went to 4, 4.3 (no 4.1 or 4.2 apaprently..), then internally referred to Office 95 as Office 7, skipping several versions....

I have to LOL at 64-bit version being some big deal. I've run 64-bit versions of OpenOffice since AT LEAST 2006 (on 64-bit boxes -- my main ones are still 32-bit I must admit.)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

possibly silly question

but why do they need seperate 32bit and 64bit versions, as with windows. Ship them all on the same dvd, if space is a premium then spend the extra few pence to include a second dvd in the box. then you detect what processor/os is running and install the appropriate version. As the majority of people are running 32bit OS's on 64bit hardware now

i find it extrememly annoying that they are seperate, as hp thought it would be clever to install the 32bit version of vista on my 64bit laptop, but the key wont activate the 64bit install disk from my desktop machine

not to mention it would mean i'd end up buying* the 32bit version of office just because it would work on both machines

*or downloading the pirate version if i ever find a good reason to switch from 2003

11. TeeCee Gold badge
    Gates Horns

Wow!

A 64-bit Word Processor. How, er, useful.

Do you get the chocolate teapot free or is it an extra-cost option?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like